Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
@Hifi_swlon :

Reading you post with a little more time, I am intrigued with what you are planning with Thierry. So the idea is that you add PEQ to your HAF convolution, then send details of the PEQ to Thierry, to either include directly, or at least to give an indication of the change you require. Out of interest, is this just your idea or have you agreed this approach with Thierry? It seams like a good idea to me, I have been describing the revisions that I want verbally, obviously sending a carefully crafted PEQ is far more precise.

@zdenes :

First to say that the time I have spent on the HAF convolutions has for me been the best thing I have done with my system for years. Plus, it has not been that time consuming once the initial measurements are made. A few minutes to send an email to Thierry, and then it takes less than five minutes to download the convolutions and load into Roon, it is incredibly quick and easy. You mentioned at the start of one of your posts that your room is acoustically treated. I think this is the key, and I think this is where you have perhaps got it right and I have not. I am at the point now where I think I could benefit enormously from some carefully considered room treatments, I also need to reposition some of my kit, this means a new rack in a new location. All of this will take time. Meanwhile, the HAF filters have provided a substantial benefit. The bottom line is that I had stopped enjoying my system, with the HAF filters I am loving it, so time well spent!

Having said that, I am defiantly considering getting some Paul Hynes SR4's for the SOtM kit. I was reading some reports of the SR4 recently and it does seam to be an exact fit for what I think would be beneficial now. As for modifying the MC3+USB for LPSU input, I did hear a rumor a while ago that Mutec would be releasing an "Empyreal Class" version of the MC3+USB, so I was thinking that I would just get one of those. I heard this rumor a long while ago and something was supposed to happen for Munich, which it did not. So this looks like duff information now. SR4's for the SOtM kit looks like it should be beneficial and easy to do. To be honest, I was trying to have a pause in my kit buying, but the SR4's are very tempting!

I am also thinking of modifying the internal clock feeds for the SOtM kit, replacing the over long SOtM internal clock cable. This one should be both cheap and beneficial. One question - You mention that you have been trying clock cables, do you have a recommendation for the cable between the REF10 and MC3+USB? Everyone is raving about the Habst, which is fair enough, but it is the same price as the MC3+USB that it connects to. Although this seams crazy, it may of course be worthwhile as this is a very critical connection. (far more critical and sensitive than normal USB or S/PDIF)

As for your surround system connecting to the Mutec kit, this is indeed very interesting. Of course, a little off topic here, but this has got me thinking!

Meanwhile...... The system is sounding great now. So all the above is just icing on the cake!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Confused - 04-Jun-2018, 13:31