Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
Picking up on @baconbrain 's comment above, I have to say that I quite enjoyed my weekend with the mR back in the system.  As a broad conclusion, I would say that the SOtM kit is better, but the mR is the one I prefer in my system.  There is a lot of comment on CA at the moment regarding the sMS-200 "Neo", ranging from those that think the original is too bright and the Neo will definitely be better, to one person who seams a little upset that SOtM are sacrificing transparency and a natural rendition for a deliberately warmer sounding product.  That's quite a range of views considering that nobody outside of SOtM has listened to one yet.  For me, the sMS-200Ultra sounded a little bright compared to almost anything I could run through the Devialet, the mR, AIR, Blu-ray player, and so on.  So I like one person's theory that SOtM found something slightly amiss with the sMS-200 and they are covering this up with the Neo "upgrade".  Anyway, all pure speculation, but a bit of fun nevertheless, and it looks like the first user reports of the Neo are immanent.  I am certainly looking forward to trying the Neo myself, although I do have a degree of trepidation that it might not settle with my system or ears, which is quite possible and would be a disappointment.

I have to say that I enjoyed listening to my system with the mR this weekend.  The difference with the tonal balance is small, but somehow it is enough to tip things from sounding not quite right to just right, it is just plain easier with the mR to stop fretting about the system and simply enjoy the music.  So a small difference tonally that happens to have a huge impact in my system.  Some clarity and dynamics are lost with the SOtM kit gone, but it is the mR I would rather listen to.  ( which begs the question as to how would an ultraRendu perform?)

My plan this weekend was to simply enjoy the system with the mR in place, no point tinkering with what is effectively and "interim" set-up.  This nearly worked.  I was listening on Sunday, looking at the hifi rack I could see the LPS-1 powered mR and next to it the sPS-500 power supply, which currently has noting to do.  This sowed the seed in my head, how would the mR sound powered by the sPS-500?  I could not resist, and it was an easy enough thing to try, just set the sPS-500 to 7v and swap the cables over.  So I gave this a try and listened to the mR with sPS-500 power for maybe half an hour.  My conclusion, the mR sounds a little bit smoother and more natural with the LPS-1.  This reminds me of some earlier comments from Zoltan (@zdenes ) who suggested that the Paul Hynes SR4 would be beneficial in reducing the HF glare from the sMS-200Ultra.  Judging by what I heard comparing the sPS-500 with the LPS-1 on the mR, I think this could be correct.   The SR4 is considered a step up from the new LPS-1.2, so definitely better than my old LPS-1.

One thing I forget to mention in my earlier post is that I have also ordered a new lid for my turntable, which is apparently due for delivery in August.  The cover for the Pro-Ject Signature 12 turntable is a new product, something Pro-Ject promised a long time ago but it has taken them a very long time to deliver.  (sound familiar?)  OK - This may not sound very exciting, but the new cover will allow me to relocate the TT from the very tall rack I have in the corner of my room (behind the right hand speaker) and use a much lower rack to the side.  I know the rack's current location is not the best from an SQ point of view, plus it will free up the corner so I can add room treatments in each corner, which is not possible now.  I think there are a few things I can do with the room itself, but sorting out my sub-optimally positioned rack is definitely where I want to start.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Confused - 30-Jul-2018, 13:36