Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(13-Aug-2018, 12:34)ogs Wrote: @Confused  Your microRendu is 1.3? I guess it is too late to get it up to 1.4... When I upgraded I noticed no change in tonal character, just more detail. Mine is powered by the LPS-1. The LPS-1.2 is tempting, but there are other contenders too. I haven't changed the PS of my Mutec yet so possibly an adjustable PS with more than two rails.

Yes, I have the original microRendu, not the 1.4.  Oddly enough, the UK distributer for Sonore has one last V1.4 board left, I am almost tempted, but not quite.  It is £250, which is not far off the a third of the cost of an ultraRendu, so selling the mR and going ultraRendu would make more sense.  Of course, I might end up trying the ultraRendu one day and finding that I don't like it either!  It is so much better if you can try kit before you buy it.  I have an idea that I might buy an ultraRendu when they start turning up second hand at reasonable prices, then if I do not like it I can sell for roughly the buying price.  Maybe the microRendu 1.4 is my perfect device?  We will never know.

It has been an interesting couple of weeks, the SOtM kit is away and I have not really been missing what it does for my system.  The system has definitely lost some detail and dynamics, but the trade-off is worth it for the shift in tonal balance, which just suits me so much better and makes everything so much more listenable.  Then this weekend, adding the Habst cable, and dynamics are now even better than with the SOtM kit in place.

The good news is that I received an email from SOtM this morning, my parcel with the sMS-200Ultra and tX-USBulta arrived today.  This was a big relief, the parcel has taken three weeks and three days to get to SOtM, so I was staring to get worried it might be lost in transit.

So the short term plan is to enjoy the mR driven system, and wait for the Neo'd sMS-200Ultra to arrive.  I have only seen one user report for the Neo so far, but encouragingly this was a very positive report.  Of course, there is nothing like hearing for yourself in your own system, so I will need to wait for mine to turn up.  Having enjoyed listening to my system so much this last weekend though, I have never been in less of a rush for some new kit to arrive! Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Confused - 13-Aug-2018, 13:23