Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
I have spent a happy morning listening to the new Neo version of the sMS-200Ultra. First to be clear on exactly how I have everything set up at the moment. Two things have changed since the SOtM kit was sent back to Koreo, the sMS-200Ultra has had the Neo upgrade and both the sMS-200Ultra and tX-USBultra have had the original "overlength" internal clock cables replaced with 20cm items. One thing I do not like doing is changing two things at the same time, if you then notice anything positive or negative it is not possible to be sure what to attribute it to. So for the purpose of this moring's listening, I have left the REF10 feed to the sMS-200Ultra and tX-USBultra turned off. The logic here is that previously I could not really detect much difference if I used the REF10 clock feed to the sMS-200Ultra and tX-USBultra or not. To the Mutec MC3+USB it made a difference, to the SOtM kit, I was never sure. To be honest, whenever I listened to the sMS-200Ultra I did tend to be overly preoccupied with the reproduction of treble and presence range, so this may have masked my ability to discern any subtle benefits of invoking the REF10, but anyway, by leaving the SOtM kit running from it's own internal clock this means that for sure anything that sounds different today is due to the Neo upgrade, not any benefit from the shorter clock cables, they are quite simply not being used. In addition, I had the SOtM re-installed in the system last weekend, I just did not have any time for a proper listen. So everything has had a week to settle down, fully powered up.

So to the listening. It was immediately apparent that whatever it was that was annoying me with the treble and presence range with the old sMS-200Ultra was now gone. I have posted before about how much happier I was listening when back with the microRendu, the system was just so more coherent and tonally balanced. Maybe not as good as the sMS-200Ultra in many areas, but the microRendu I could sit and listen to for hours, the sMS-200Ultra quickly became irritating, so it didn't really matter if it was good in other areas. So after months of fretting over the HF, today with the Neo I can simply sit and listen to everything. With the old sMS-200Ultra I could mitigate things a little by running the treble at -3dB, I tried this today with the Neo and it sounded great, but sometimes I felt I was maybe missing a touch of clarity and sparkle, so I was happy to stick to good old 0dB. I know aural memory is notoriously unreliable, but to go from months of being slightly irritatating to being happy with the sound has to mean something.

So this almost feels like a full reset to me now. Today I was listening and able to enjoy everything, the Neo seems far more coherent to me. As an example, you might have a track with a snare drum, with the old sMS-200Ultra I might start to get preoccupied with the sound of the snare itself, sounding too prominent and hence harsh and somehow disconnected to the rest of the music, with the Neo the sound of the drum, snare and the rhythm of the music come together, but the snare can still be heard clearly, it sounds like a snare, not like something irritating. The Neo does sound a little more full-bodied, but in a good way, it still has the details and dynamics, it is just the way they are delivered sounds more natural and real.

It is early days with the Neo. Very often it takes a few weeks to fully appreciate new kit, or to discover subtle reasons it may be better or worse than you first thought. First impressions though, it sounds like a more dynamic higher resolution version of the microRendu. I really like that old microRendu, so that is very good first impressions.

Some other thoughts that I have. When I tried the sPS-500 to power the microRendu I found that this was a step backward from the Uptone LPS-1. Today, I was quite happy listening to the SOtM kit with the sPS-500, but it does make me wonder if something like the Paul Hynes SR4 would be a better option, I am as sure as I can be that it would. The other thought that I have is regarding the Neo update itself. Apparently, the change is to the power board only, and here just a change in the capacitor. How is it possible that this takes the sMS-200Ultra from something that I personally found irritating to something great. Utterly baffling, but yet more evidence as to just how subtle audio reproduction can be.

I have had the offer to borrow a dCS Network Bridge. Back when the sMS-200 was annoying me, this seemed like a good plan, but now I am not sure if I can be bothered, I reckon I should get a pair of SR4's and be done. But maybe trying the Network Bridge would be prudent before spending more cash on PSU's? I don't know. The short-term plan is to do nothing, play lots of music and see how I feel in a few weeks. Oh, and I might try invoking the REF10 on the SOtM kit again, when I am in the mood.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Confused - 01-Sep-2018, 12:24