Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
@octaviars - I can only agree.  To me the Neo sounds very different, I much prefer the Neo.  But how can this be?  It is a change in a power board capacitor for a device that delivers 1's and 0's, totally baffling.  That said, there are now hundreds of reports of devices like the microRendu sounding better with PSU upgrades, devices like the Innuos servers that are getting a fine reputation for sound quality but seam to have very standard components EXCEPT for very carefully crafted LPSU's.  I don't quite understand what is going on, but I do see a trend.

I was also interested in this quote on CA yesterday "I did an A/B comparison of the neo versus the original ultra at my dealer.  Believe me when I tell you the neo is a vast improvement that will make you not look back. The original sounds very good but the neo improves on the few deficiencies of the original in a big way.  I found the high end dynamics to be much more realistic and natural.  This was my biggest beef with the original."

The above quote pretty much matches my own view, but I will be interested to see in time if anyone upgrades to Neo and finds it to be a step back.  For me, I am as sure as I can be that the Neo is correcting something that was not quite right in the original, but we will never know for sure I guess.

As for trying the Network Bridge, it occurs to me that the sensible approach would be to try the NB prior to spending more cash on LPSU's for the SOtM kit etc.  So in other words, if the SOtM kit was equal or better than the NB, it would be worth spending a bit of LPSU money, whereas if I much preferred the NB, then I might as well buy one and be done.  So I think yes, it does make sense to at least try the Network Bridge.  In the medium term though, the plan is to spend as much time as possible listening to the system and not worry about tweaking or changing anything.  I am actually very interested as to how I will find my current Neo'd set-up when given a bit of time.   So I'm sticking with plan A for the moment, do nothing for a few weeks and see how I feel later.  I am sure the urge to tweak and try something will emerge before too long. Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Confused - 04-Sep-2018, 13:40