Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
@baconbrain - I enjoyed your link, a very similar scenario, I even replied at one point in your thread, but the universe tilting continues.  One difference with your Oppo experience is that I was running my Arcam through the Mutec MC3+USB/REF 10.  When I have time I will try a direct comparison between the SOtM/Mutec kit and the Arcam direct to the Devialet  via S/PDIF, depending on the result, that could be an extreme universe tiler.

@Axel - Yes, indeed a shame, I suspect we could have struck a deal on the Cambridge Audio.  Maybe we should encourage a "want to buy" section on the forum?  I know I have a few bits lying around that I might sell if someone asked, and personally I would much rather buy from a known forum member that taking my chances on eBay.  A want to buy section might be quite good?  Can easily be done in the existing for sale section of course, maybe something we should all keep in mind?

@octaviars - I did have a plan to try the Network Bridge.  This plan receded somewhat following the recent SOtM firmware updates, a case of me being keen to try the NB because I was not happy with the SOtM kit, to being a case that I am happy with the SOtM kit and I doubt the NB would provide much more than a small incremental improvement at best.  The SOtM kit also has the benefit of HQPlayer compatibility.  So maybe one day, but I have other things to try in the short term, see below.

I have a very busy week and spent most of my time away from my system.  I have been thinking a lot about last week's result with the Arcam performing so well for sound quality.  I think this is a very lucky discovery, because I now have a second source that is almost identical the SOtM kit for sound quality.  This could be very useful for verifying a few tweaks.  For example, a while ago when changing my rack and layout of the kit, I took the SOtM modified ethernet switch out of the chain, and it has never gone back.  To compare the system with or without the SOtM kit would be a case of listening to a playlist, then very much faffing around swapping out the switch, getting Roon and HQPlayer to talk to Eunhasu again, and so on.  Usually when doing this, Eunhasu crashes, much hassle getting everything to work again, by which time I am in a bad mood and have forgotten exactly how things sounded with the previous switch.  This is not a good way to look for those subtle differences.  But now I have the Arcam as a kind of benchmark, I could install a new switch or whatever, and then do immediate A/B swaps between the two methods of playback.  Immediate and hassle free playing the same song, much better, and much easier.

On my "to do" list is to try this with the SOtM switch.  I also have a plan to try the SOtM kit direct to the Devialet's USB, taking the Mutec MC3+USB out of the chain.  In this scenario I could try direct A/B swaps between Arcam +Mutec (which sounds virtually the same as SOtM to Mutec to Devialet) with the SOtM kit direct by USB.  Depending on the results of this, I could try running HQPlayer, DSD64, SOtM USB, direct to the Devialet, with direct swaps between the "benchmark" Arcam + Mutec route.  I am sure you get the idea.  The SOtM kit is now powered by a pair of Paul Hynes SR4's, maybe this will provide an advantage over the SMPS powered MC3+USB?  Now I can do direct A/B comparisons, these checks will be much easier to do as it eliminates relying on aural memory.  It surprises me to think that I have had the SOtM kit for over a year and never tried it direct to the Devialet's USB input, but now I can do these direct A/B comparisons I have become a lot keener to try it.  So lots to try before considering spending lots of cash on the Network Bridge, or something like the Weiss for that matter.  Plus, if I do decide to spend significant money on something this year it really should go on room treatments, I suspect I have more to gain here than with further electronic tweaks from where I am now.  As an example, with my current setup, both corners of the room behind the Blades are completely empty, they are just 90 degree corners with nothing in them.  That can't be ideal.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Confused - 17-Aug-2019, 12:12