Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(11-Aug-2019, 15:27)Confused Wrote: So a big surprise.  I guess I have never been 100% convinced by the SOtM kit, but I did not expect my "£200 off eBay" universal device to edge it out.  Maybe something to do with taking the PC and network out of the chain, and instead using a simple bit of audio circuitry to send a digital file to the MC3+USB?  Maybe a result of taking USB out of the chain altogether?
I use a complex USB chain as well and have been tweaking it over the last few years. Uptone USB and ISO Regen, Singxer SU-6 USB-AES converter, ifi iDefender, supercapacitors, linear PSUs, etc.

I've found that the Devialet, and digital equipment in general, is very sensitive to small changes to the way power cords, power supplies, and therefore how the ground is connected.

What I try to achieve is: maximum isolation from the PC source (iDefender for ground isolation, Uptone supercapacitors, ISO Regen). Sufficient isolation brings out more air and detail and better soundstage.

But there is a balance - there still needs to be at least one path to ground - if there is no ground, then the USB signal sometimes cuts out. Sound quality wise, if there is no ground, I find that it loses some sparkle on the high end.

I think the key is to have isolation to break any ground loops (avoid multiple paths to ground that are connected but not isolated), but still having sufficient clean ground connection on the isolated 'legs' of the circuit.

The changes in detail and soundstage by changes in ground and power configuration, can be very significant.

Maybe when you tested a different device with a simplified number of connections between devices and power, the changes in these connections could be what is affecting the sound more than the quality of the device itself.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by hardcore - 23-Aug-2019, 05:29