Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
GuillaumeB Wrote:
Confused Wrote:I think I have gone from being a little sceptical about the benefit of switches to being rather more intrigued about the possibilities.  I wonder what that EtherRegen might bring to the party? Shy

Better late than never LOL  Big Grin  Wink

For me one of the biggest jumps in performance happens when you connect a master clock to the switch. Are you able to try this?

Guillaume
Essentially, I was using a "master clock" on the switch, but this probably deserves some explanation. 

The SOtM "bundle" that I bought included a custom version of the sMS200ultra.  This includes a connector for an external 10MHz reference clock, and an additional connector running from the Ultra's internal sCLK-EX clock distribution board.  The sCLK-EX board is what turns a "standard" sMS-200 into the "Ultra" version.  It can be configured to accept a 10MHz reference clock feed, and in turn it can provide clock signals to up to 4 devices.  So in the case of my sMS-200Ultra, the sCLK-EX board itself  is clocked via the 10MHz feed from the Mutec REF10, and in turn it the sCLK-EX provides a clock signal to the sMS-200 itself, and  to the connector for the modified switch.  There is a simple SMB type cable that connects the modified switch to the sMS-200Ultra.  So this is a little bit of a spaghetti / DIY solution, but it does mean that the switch is effectively clocked from the Mutec REF10.  As it happens, the SMB cable is a little longer than it needs to be, these cables only cost pennies, so it occurs to me that I should get a shorter cable, no reason why not.

What I found at the weekend was that adding this "clocked" switch did indeed provide a nice improvement, this was in terms of the fine details, being more easily able to hear the ambience in the room and other subtle nuances in the recording.  This was a definite plus.  It was however accompanied by what sounded like a touch of extra harshness in the highs.  Thinking about this, I recall now that I tried the switch last year, and I was not convinced that it was not actually making things worse, thus contributing to the decision to simply leave it out of the system.  When I was testing last weekend with the Arcam as a reference in direct A/B swaps, it was far easier to discern the goodness that the "clocked" switch was providing.  Then adding my old TP-Link switch back in and finding that this removed the slight harshness that was bugging me previously was just a lucky discovery after tying something as a hunch and as a punt.  I think I agree with @baconbrain's comment above, I suspect that my old trusty TP-Link switch just happens to be blocking some stray current or noise from the Ethernet feed, something that the SOtM modified switch is perhaps not doing such a good job with. 

I did have a chuckle to myself about all this, there have been many reports of folk (including your good self) getting excellent results running two SOtM sNH-10G switches in series, which is quite an expensive thing to try.  I seem to have lucked into something running two switches with a combined cost of less than £100.  (albeit one of them has a £400 PSU)  Joking apart, I am genuinely surprised at just how good the improvement was that I gained last weekend.  If it was not for the fact that that the EtherRegen is due to be released soon, I would be ordering a sNH-10G now, simply on the basis of what I have heard with these lesser switch mods.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Confused - 18-Sep-2019, 13:30