Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
@Confused ,

Interesting, especially as I've been thinking about how I'm going to make comparisons when I get my EtherRegen next month. Simply replacing my Cisco Switch with the EtherRegen, what I intend to do, entails swapping 3 cable connections so it can't be done easily or quickly and that makes simple A/B comparisons very problematic, whether you do them sighted on your own or get someone else to do the cable swapping for you.

You may find the following item from Jim Austin of Stereophile interesting: https://www.stereophile.com/content/slow-listening It's a very different take on the way we hear things and on the process of making comparisons of gear. Prior to reading it my intention was to listen to music with the Cisco switch in place for a while, pause and make the swap, then continue with the EtherRegen in place, noting my initial impressions, then to continue with the EtherRegen in place for several days to a week in order to become familiar with the sound, noting any changes, then swap back to the Cisco and see what my reaction to the swap back is. I've found that approach useful on occasion in the past and I think it actually sits well with some of the ideas Jim Austin refers to in that article in the link.

I don't see that article or the research he cites changing the beliefs of those who are wedded to blind and double blind testing protocols but I think there's a lot to be said for the ideas Austin is referring to.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by David A - 22-Dec-2019, 14:04