Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
I posted a similar post to post #335 on Audiophile Style. (basically the same post, but some changes for relevant context)

The post received an interesting response from UpTone's Alex Crespi, where he pointed out that if I am using my SOtM modified switch prior to the EtherRegen, this effectively puts the Mutec REF 10 on "both sides of the moat". He has a point, the SOtM switch takes its reference clock signal from the clock board in the sMS-200Ultra, so that places the clock board on both sides of the moat. As to how big a difference this might make, I have no idea, but it is easy enough for me to take the SOtM modified clock out of the system to try. Indeed, I could run router direct to the EtherRegen, easy to do. I will try this when I get time.

@David A The Jim Austin article was interesting, many thanks for the link. In the past I can think of times when I have done a very quick A/B test, or just simply listened to a new piece of kit, come to a very quick conclusion, and that conclusion has held as correct during subsequent long term listening. But not always! I can think of other times when the first impression ultimately turned out to be wrong or missing something. So I see no conflicts here, A/B testing has its uses, as does blind testing, and long term listening, and measurements of course. I think having a variety of methods for evaluation of equipment is useful, there is no need to be in one camp or the other. With subtle and complex matters, why not use all the tools that are available? As an aside, I am a huge fan of the long term listening approach, as this involves nothing more than listening to music and not worrying about anything. Highly recommended!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Confused - 23-Dec-2019, 14:35