Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(14-Apr-2020, 04:40)David A Wrote: I'm missing something here. The Melco S100 is a switch just like the EtherREGEN but with 8 ethernet ports and 2 SFP optical module ports instead of the EtherREGEN's 5 ethernet ports and 1 SFP port. Just what is your "Netgear hub"? Is it a router? If so, it provides functions that the S100 and the EtherREGEN don't, for example it is probably providing DHCP addresses for all of your connected devices which is a function a switch does not provide, and if you happen to need those functions then you can't simply replace the Netgear hub with the Melco, or with the EtherREGEN.

Given that the Melco and the EtherREGEN are both just switches both will have exactly the same impact on network complexity as each other unless you need more connections than the EtherREGEN provides. If your current Netgear hub is just performing switching duties you can replace it with either of the Melco or the EtherREGEN. If the Netgear hub is also your router then you can't replace it with either the Melco or the EtherREGEN because neither can function as a router, both provide switching functions only.

Hi David,

You are right, I was not accurate enough. It's an unmanaged hub that I use as a switch.

I have also a managed Netgear 10Gbe hub that's doing the hard work for the house.

So yes, the problem with the EtherREGEN is that I would be missing one network port.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by bernardl - 14-Apr-2020, 06:29