Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Unsatisfied people's thread
Can I join the party (poopers)!

First, though, I must thank Devialet for enabling the disabling of, presumably, its communication protocol(?) by providing the Optical Direct mode on the Phantoms and now, apparently, the Reactors.  Someone had the foresight to consider its need.  Without it, I am sure I would have replaced my Phantoms long ago.

Back on the thread subject, the abject failure to DELIVER, in my case, a multi channel, not multi room, capable system in those first few years was a period of frustration.  Every small sliver of hope was followed up, even considering some of Devialet own ‘hacks’.  Anyone remember the Auvitran - Ethernet to Optical Adapter or the expensive boxes from either Xilinx or Crestron.  All intended to accommodate pro installers.

Both failed to gain any traction and worse, I believe Devialet abandoned any pretence of delivering multi channel.

A small chunk of light appeared with the mention of the Direct Optical mode, on this forum, and I finally saw a way to achieve what seemed impossible.
Subsequently, my understanding grew in various directions as I  investigated ways and means to assemble a relatively simple infrastructure.  I started with something familiar, I.e. Windows pc, and learnt more about the hardware and software; onto VST plug-in software and subsequently DAW software and VST hosts.  Discovered USB hardware that would interface between audio/video sources and of course the Phantoms and voila, a Heath Robinson construct but one that delivers on all the things NOT provided by Devialet.

- multi source input
- channel routing/matrixing
- any amount of EQ, either for room correction or sound customisation
- low latency
- multi channel outputs

Finally, I am done.  Phew!  However, I realise that this system is very niche.

In conclusion, its worth repeating “Never give up on yourself, but forget about Devialet”

Messages In This Thread
The Unsatisfied people's thread - by daibaron - 30-Aug-2018, 12:07
RE: The Unsatisfied people's thread - by ogs - 11-Sep-2018, 18:45
RE: The Unsatisfied people's thread - by ogs - 12-Sep-2018, 03:12
RE: The Unsatisfied people's thread - by ogs - 12-Sep-2018, 22:22
RE: The Unsatisfied people's thread - by hydr - 24-Oct-2018, 09:22
RE: The Unsatisfied people's thread - by ragwo - 01-Jul-2019, 19:46
RE: The Unsatisfied people's thread - by ragwo - 04-Jul-2019, 07:51
RE: The Unsatisfied people's thread - by Pim - 04-Jul-2019, 10:37
RE: The Unsatisfied people's thread - by alandbush - 04-Jul-2019, 11:27
RE: The Unsatisfied people's thread - by denis - 16-Sep-2019, 15:45
RE: The Unsatisfied people's thread - by denis - 18-Sep-2019, 18:40