Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Phantom volume control options
(13-Nov-2018, 12:24)antilles Wrote:
(09-Nov-2018, 03:31)jcd1877 Wrote: I've removed the dialog and replaced it with a Yamaha WXC-50 hooked up via an active optical splitter to two white phantoms each configured in direct optical mode.

I chose the WXC-50 as it was the only cost effective solution I could find to give me volume control in the digital domain. Other advantage is that the audio delay has been reduced dramatically. 

This system is now integrated into my universal remote as the WXC-50 uses a IR transmitter. It also comes with the Musiccast App that allows full control from a phone/tablet.

And the Phantoms respect the volume they get from the WXC-50? But, how? Wouldn’t it have to upsample, then re-encode the volume-adjusted stream for output? Does it really do that?

The WXC-50 has two modes, one as a player only where the digital out is fixed like any typical source, the other is as a pre-amp where volume is controlled by the WXC-50. In pre-amp mode, yes, the volume is controlled in the digital domain. The spec's quote it as "48-bit digital volume control".

I'm no digital genius, but I know it works!!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Universal Phantom volume control options - by jcd1877 - 13-Nov-2018, 22:54