Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR and Win10
(01-Sep-2015, 10:44)teddlesdee Wrote:
(31-Aug-2015, 14:00)Zappydev Wrote:
(31-Aug-2015, 12:54)hk6230 Wrote:
(31-Aug-2015, 12:39)Zappydev Wrote:
(31-Aug-2015, 11:00)hk6230 Wrote: Intel NUC 5i5RYK (a thinner version of mine) if you intend to use 2.5" M.2 Sata SSD. Intel NUC may have fan noise, which is audible, amid very quiet. Using Win10 with M.2 SSD, my NUC bootup time is around 7 sec.

I recommend Intel NUC is because AIR works.

Hi

Yes, I bought NUC5i5RYK after reading that a more powerful processor was not really necessary just for Roon core use. I also bought the 120GB Samsung SSD with Win 10 pro. The system will only be used for music, so I figured that it would be enough.

Further to my earlier post - streaming ran uninterrupted for >12 hours overnight last night but started stuttering this morning. A reboot of everything seemed to clear it. a bit disappointing though, as I thought that at last, my AIR was working perfectly.

Looking forward to hearing any further feedback.

Cycle through your sources using your Devialet remote will solve this stuttering.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Thanks HK! I'll be sure to try that next time.

Must admit I was looking around for something like this, but presume not fanless? How does this impact, if at all?
Certainly tempted!
Think some have gone for building their own using fan-less cases, but guess the temptation to add rather expensive additional audiophile bits can blow the budget somewhat?

Keen to know!

The NUC is totally inaudible to me, from about 2m/6' away from my listening position. If I get right down to it, I can (barely) hear the fan, but that is from 12" away . . .  My last CD player (Musical Fidelity) made way more noise ! 

Personally, I don't find it in any way intrusive, but others may do, I guess.

Agree with HK - the performance and SQ from NUC/Win10 is the best I have yet achieved in my system. The only issue is the occasional instability of AIR, but that ran all day today without glitching, so it is good enough for now.

I have briefly compared the NUC/AIR combo running Roon with a Krell Connect network player going SP-DIF into the Dev, and personally I could not hear a difference, although I accept that others may have done. However, the Roon interface is light-years ahead of the Krell app, and with the NUC costing about a quarter of the price of the Krell, I am currently very satisfied.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
(01-Sep-2015, 16:22)Vivialet Wrote: you forget the most likely reason: the upgrade to Win10. I also have better SQ since this upgrade and I have not changed anything else.
The biggest improvement is when using USB, but I have also the impression that AIR is sounding better with Win 10.

Yes, you are right. I did miss the Win10 upgrade. Big Grin
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Ironically, I think it's GWX.exe, which prompts one to install Windows 10, that is likely to cause white noise... I've had two occurrences of WN twice recently (way more frequently than before), and both times it seems to have been connected to the Windows 10 prompts. I'm going to uninstall KB3035583, which introduced Windows 10 prompts, and see what happens.
Yes, I know another way of getting rid of the Windows 10 prompt (which may also cure AIR-related problems) is to upgrade to Windows 10 Smile
However, since my system language (locale) is not English, this promises to be an arduous undertaking. I'm not ready to take the plunge.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
(10-Sep-2015, 15:28)AlexS Wrote: Ironically, I think it's GWX.exe, which prompts one to install Windows 10, that is likely to cause white noise... I've had two occurrences of WN twice recently (way more frequently than before), and both times it seems to have been connected to the Windows 10 prompts. I'm going to uninstall KB3035583, which introduced Windows 10 prompts, and see what happens.
Yes, I know another way of getting rid of the Windows 10 prompt (which may also cure AIR-related problems) is to upgrade to Windows 10 Smile
However, since my system language (locale) is not English, this promises to be an arduous undertaking. I'm not ready to take the plunge.

Well, after 2 weeks of faultless performance, the Air driver is now crashing Windows 10 after playing several tracks. The blue screen give a message that it is sending a log and will have to reboot...
Happened twice now....
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
[/quote]

Well, after 2 weeks of faultless performance, the Air driver is now crashing Windows 10 after playing several tracks. The blue screen give a message that it is sending a log and will have to reboot...
Happened twice now....
[/quote]

I'm having exactly the same problem. It looks like the System process starts to take a massive amount of CPU until the system crashes, apparently this behavior is normally related to a faulty or incompatible driver. I tried updating my other drivers to rule that out bit it didn't make any difference. To be fair to Devialet, they have not said Air is compatible with Win 10. I don't know whether to wait for Devialet to launch a Win 10 version of Air, go back to Windows 8 which will mean 24/192 won't work or go to usb but that causes me location problems!

cheers

Chris
What has changed? New W10 update? Are others starting to have this problem? When did it start?
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
I believe it is reporting that AIR Audio device driver is causing system crash. I had encountered this problem a few times now. I reported this to Devialet and they replied they are currently not supporting Win10 at the moment.

Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(13-Sep-2015, 16:55)hk6230 Wrote: I believe it is reporting that AIR Audio device driver is causing system crash. I had encountered this problem a few times now. I reported this to Devialet and they replied they are currently not supporting Win10 at the moment.

Yes! Your right old chap! Same error message for me too... then it counts down as it generates a report, then reboots... i suspect as I think you do, that a recent update has totally screwed Air.. It was fine till yesterday, but I hadn't been able to use my system for several days... so could have had the update late last week.

Given the way Mr Msoft has very cleverly launched this version, I am in no doubt that there are a truly massive number of early adopters of W10, .....far more, I suggest than the W7 to 8 upgrade when it happened, so Mr Devialet, I suggest you rethink that answer, and get your @rs3 into gear pronto, otherwise you are going to have many more disgruntled customers than you can handle!

Dodgy
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
Maybe you can check your Windows update logfile and backroll to previous state to determine if Windows update is the cause. For me, I had turned off Auto-update on my Windows Update, so I doubt this is the reason. I had also removed my Linear Power Supply to my NUC and replaced it with the NUC's original wall-wart adapter. I saw in my Event Viewer that states KernelPower is insufficient which I suspect causing my reboots. I'm monitoring now for a couple of more days and see if the problem returns.

Given that Windows 10 will undergo many more changes in the future (since it's still relatively immature), and that Devialet is NOT likely to provide an update to AIR (I've inquired on the status of AIR developments recently, and was told that while they still plan to work on fixing AIR in the future, their current focus is getting Dialogue to work for the Expert line), the wisest course of action may be to reverse to Windows 7/8. And if you do, make sure you uninstall KB3035583, which by itself is highly suspect WN-wise.

Ian has reported on a different thread that disconnecting Internet solved WN for him, at least, temporarily. This is for the MAC, and may not be relevant for PC users, but it still makes me think that the consequence of disconnecting Internet may be disabling Software updates/checks for such updates. I did an experiment lately: when Windows just checks for updates, my CPU usage occasionally goes well above 50% Now imagine, if the CPU was in a power saving state, this sudden increase of CPU usage may well affect AIR's ability to get the correct clocking info.
The bottom line: I've now disabled auto-checks for Windows updates, and am monitoring. Running your PC in a high-power mode could be another good measure, but I'm saving it for the last.
If all these measures fail, I'll be purchasing a MAC Mini.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II