Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Branch
Can I ask a question to fellow Branch owners? After you have fitted the Phantom to the Branch is it normal that if you try lifting the phantom at the back there is some movement? In other words it only seems to latch/hold at the front half of the phantom, and the back is just "resting" on the stand rather than fixing rigidly. I am trying to work out the "right" way of moving the Phantom/Branch set-up without risk of damaging. It is rather heavy and very easy to have a mishap if you are not careful. It doesn't slide on carpet.
I just got off the phone with my local Devialet dealer to check on my Branch order. They said there is no official word yet on when they will be available here in the USA. But, they did mention they got wind there will be two versions...one which is the light wood which we have already seen in this thread, and then simply an "alternate" wood finish.

Anyone in the know of such an "alternate" finish?
Here there is a wood finish and an alternate, slightly less expensive, white paint finish.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(02-Feb-2016, 03:26)kameraguy Wrote: I just got off the phone with my local Devialet dealer to check on my Branch order. They said there is no official word yet on when they will be available here in the USA. But, they did mention they got wind there will be two versions...one which is the light wood which we have already seen in this thread, and then simply an "alternate" wood finish.

Anyone in the know of such an "alternate" finish?

There is only one wood finish. Devialet have been a bit naughty in Europe. They released the wood finish at one price. Then, according to them, by popular demand, they released a completely white version. They then changed the price of the wood version to be more expensive and made the white one the original price. So early purchasers of Branch saved a bit of money! I think the stand is in some ways a higher quality finish than the Phantom itself and I think the wood one is quite beautiful. I wish they had used something better than white glossy plastic on the Phantom, which if you dare to shine a torch on, builds up a gazillion microscratches over time (And comes with a few out of the box), not to mention the fact that some have noticed parts of it turning yellow too. However, at least white hides the micro-scratches whereas a black Phantom would look terrible after a while.
Thank you for confirming. I was hoping there may have been a darker wood finish. Hope they will arrive in the USA soon.
Well, they finally arrived today (wood finish). Just finished setting Branch up and I have to say geeze, that was a tight fit for all the cables. I got one speaker to use all cables...barely. I gave up trying to fit all the cables on the other. It was just too frustrating to get the IEC cord in place with the cables. Good thing only one side can be used for optical.

They definitely look better in person. And as an unexpected surprise, bass response has significantly improved in my room. I guess the prior coupling to my previous stands just wasn't secure enough, which appears to be the reason I had lackluster bass response prior.

So far, really happy with Branch. I hope they can improve cable space for future versions though.
Has anyone on here heard any details of an Australian release date for the branch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(10-Feb-2016, 07:06)kameraguy Wrote: Well, they finally arrived today (wood finish). Just finished setting Branch up and I have to say geeze, that was a tight fit for all the cables. I got one speaker to use all cables...barely. I gave up trying to fit all the cables on the other. It was just too frustrating to get the IEC cord in place with the cables. Good thing only one side can be used for optical.

They definitely look better in person. And as an unexpected surprise, bass response has significantly improved in my room. I guess the prior coupling to my previous stands just wasn't secure enough, which appears to be the reason I had lackluster bass response prior.

So far, really happy with Branch. I hope they can improve cable space for future versions though.

The cable management is a nightmare. Once it is assembled, it is a work of art in terms of neatness. I found, as recommended by another poster, that it is easier to put the Phantom upside down on a soft mat or carpet, and then dock the branch to the Phantom, preferably with a second person helping you with taking up the cable slack as you connect it up. I didn't connect up the Ethernet cables as I will never use it that way, so I just did the power and optical. As for bass response changes, this is more likely due to the different mass of the stand rather than the coupling. The Phantom only locks at the front to the stand. You will notice if you try and lift the rear of the Phantom that it does lift up a bit. So in reality it is quite close to sitting on the stand. But the mass of the stand can have a significant effect on bass response.
(10-Feb-2016, 10:16)jonstatt Wrote: The cable management is a nightmare. Once it is assembled, it is a work of art in terms of neatness. I found, as recommended by another poster, that it is easier to put the Phantom upside down on a soft mat or carpet, and then dock the branch to the Phantom, preferably with a second person helping you with taking up the cable slack as you connect it up. I didn't connect up the Ethernet cables as I will never use it that way, so I just did the power and optical. As for bass response changes, this is more likely due to the different mass of the stand rather than the coupling. The Phantom only locks at the front to the stand. You will notice if you try and lift the rear of the Phantom that it does lift up a bit. So in reality it is quite close to sitting on the stand. But the mass of the stand can have a significant effect on bass response.

Ah, you have a point, it must be the mass of the stands. My previous stands were cast iron but not nearly as heavy.
(11-Feb-2016, 01:52)kameraguy Wrote:
(10-Feb-2016, 10:16)jonstatt Wrote: The cable management is a nightmare. Once it is assembled, it is a work of art in terms of neatness. I found, as recommended by another poster, that it is easier to put the Phantom upside down on a soft mat or carpet, and then dock the branch to the Phantom, preferably with a second person helping you with taking up the cable slack as you connect it up. I didn't connect up the Ethernet cables as I will never use it that way, so I just did the power and optical. As for bass response changes, this is more likely due to the different mass of the stand rather than the coupling. The Phantom only locks at the front to the stand. You will notice if you try and lift the rear of the Phantom that it does lift up a bit. So in reality it is quite close to sitting on the stand. But the mass of the stand can have a significant effect on bass response.

Ah, you have a point, it must be the mass of the stands. My previous stands were cast iron but not nearly as heavy.

Yes indeed it sounds better with the branch