Poll: Are you affected by the hissing problem?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
36.84%
28 36.84%
No
63.16%
48 63.16%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Are you affected by the hissing problem?
Just checked all other options: bluetooth, spotify directly on single Phantom, optical cable from other source — the noise is still there. Everyone can check the noise by putting this completely silent flac file to Spark and listening to it at 40-80% of the volume.

http://bit.ly/silent_flac

I don't really think that it is really bad for listening. I can only hear it when I pause Phantoms and in the night, when there are no any other background noises. But still, it shows signs of imperfection while we all were sold "the ultimate experience, with no distortion, no noise, etc."
I have 2 Phantom Silver and Dialog . I hear the hiss . I think it's too much dithering .
(02-Mar-2016, 05:06)Lucifel Wrote:
(02-Mar-2016, 00:26)dmitrek Wrote: Tonight I've heard this noise and it's really bothering me. I have a professional audio equipment at home, so I've recorded the moment when Phantoms (2xSilver, Dialog, PLC) starts to play, then I press "pause" in Spark and then there are two seconds of really audible hissing noise in the track.

Here is the track that I've recorded, uncompressed, 24/96.

http://bit.ly/phantom_hiss

What do you think?

The noise is 100% audible from your file - sounds like the "startup/stop/pause" hiss others have reported.

It is different to what I experience - consistently on all the time but only at really high volume after recent firmware.

What application are you using?  Any chance their is hardware/software EQ applying some manipulation?  That "startup/stop/pause" timing sort of matches the inherent latency of the phantoms so just putting ideas out there.

Hi, Using Spark, I have also experienced similar hissing sound but it's very low and hard to hear from a normal listening distance ( 2-3m). Based on Lucifel's comment, it could be latency relating issue as the "hissing" only sounded for a few seconds then quickly returned to quite stage when in "Pause" mode. ( Solo Silver Phantom)
(02-Mar-2016, 09:46)dmitrek Wrote: Just checked all other options: bluetooth, spotify directly on single Phantom, optical cable from other source — the noise is still there. Everyone can check the noise by putting this completely silent flac file to Spark and listening to it at 40-80% of the volume.

http://bit.ly/silent_flac

I don't really think that it is really bad for listening. I can only hear it when I pause Phantoms and in the night, when there are no any other background noises. But still, it shows signs of imperfection while we all were sold "the ultimate experience, with no distortion, no noise, etc."

I am about 2-3 metres away and I can only really hear it over 80 (in Spark) which is flipping loud after the new updates (1.5.2?).  It used to be very audible from 40-60% up.   Pausing within Spark will turn off the hiss.  Pausing within the player (computer/Foobar for me) will also pause the noise after a few seconds.  I think it is partially high gain related.  Over 80 in Spark app is too loud for a normal to family sized room.  Honestly, it is a similar 'gain' type hiss that I can hear in my Shure 846s (in ears) when connected to various sources (DACS, phones, laptops, computers, Marantz etc) with the level changing depending on the quality of source and volume.  My issue is only related to volume controls within Spark.  Changing the source volume does not affect the hiss.

I agree that there should be zero noise even at 100% but I am also not surprised that high gain/volumes introduce noise.  Does not affect listening now that it is only at really high volumes.  I just hope it is not hardware related and that Devialet can continue to work on it.
Using 2 Silver Phantoms with Dialog but they were purchased at separate times. Original silver has hissing/static noise but second one DOES NOT. In reading some of the posts above it sounds as though there are different "hissing" noises so, the noise from this particular Silver is constant. When sitting idle it's audible from 10'-12' away.
Originally when there was just the one Phantom I wasn't sure if it was a phantom issue, Dialog issue, Cabling, etc; however now that there is a second Silver WITHOUT this noise it's become apparent to be a hardware issue and quite bothersome.
Devialet is aware of this set up and "issue" but have not received an answer or suggest to resolve..... for months. Quite disappointed with their lack of customer service.
(03-Mar-2016, 19:11)Scohie Wrote: Using 2 Silver Phantoms with Dialog but they were purchased at separate times. Original silver has hissing/static noise but second one DOES NOT. In reading some of the posts above it sounds as though there are different "hissing" noises so, the noise from this particular Silver is constant. When sitting idle it's audible from 10'-12' away.
Originally when there was just the one Phantom I wasn't sure if it was a phantom issue, Dialog issue, Cabling, etc; however now that there is a second Silver WITHOUT this noise it's become apparent to be a hardware issue and quite bothersome.
Devialet is aware of this set up and "issue" but have not received an answer or suggest to resolve..... for months. Quite disappointed with their lack of customer service.

Could you please tell us the first digits of the serial number of the Phantom without hiss? It would be very interesting to know which batch that could be noise free.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
hi guys

just contacted Devialet support. They are aware of this problem and it is apparently a firmware related problem. They are working on a firmware release to resolve it, however, they do not know when they will release it yet.

Cheers
Hissing on my system!
Started on new versjon.

2 x Silver and dialog.
(25-Apr-2016, 13:47)_nuk3em Wrote: hi guys

just contacted Devialet support. They are aware of this problem and it is apparently a firmware related problem. They are working on a firmware release to resolve it, however, they do not know when they will release it yet.

Cheers

Got the same reply in July 2015. Still waiting.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
No hissing problem here. Two Silver Phantoms +Dialoge