Poll: Are you affected by the hissing problem?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
36.84%
28 36.84%
No
63.16%
48 63.16%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Are you affected by the hissing problem?
(22-Dec-2015, 14:20)ragwo Wrote: For those affected by the hissing problem, do you experience any difference with firmware 1.5.0.1? I'm on vacation ATM so I'm not able to test it myself.

For me, massive.  The 100 volume is close or lower than what 60 used to be in Spark App.
Good for you Smile It doesn't sound like the background noise I experience. It's only noticeably at low volumes and doesn't change with volume.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Still the same hissing noise with 1.5.0.1.
My Phantom Voyage
(27-Dec-2015, 18:00)ragwo Wrote: Still the same hissing noise with 1.5.0.1.

Yes, it is.
I find it hard to believe a lot of people don't hear anything.

- I purchased 2 phantoms in April from production week 21. Both have the hiss. Well, maybe we call it wrong. It is more of an annoying background noise that increases with volume.

- My dealer came by my house to listen. After some minutes playing, he could hear it too. My dealer brought with him 2 brand new phantoms from a later production week, a new batch. Both had the same background noise issue. I decided to keep the original ones.

- 2 weeks ago, I returned one of the phantoms from production week 21 to swap it for a phantom with bluetooth module (production week 40). My dealer was so kind to do so (not Devialet as they returned with a negative answer to the dealer). And guess what, same background noise.

That means I've heard 5 different phantoms from 3 different production batches. You would say that at least 1 phantom wouldn't have this issue, as apparently, a lot of users experience with theirs. Bad luck?
I received my (2) Phantom Silver + Dialog this week and made sure to listen for this. So far no signs of the described hiss on FW 1.5.0.1.
Tonight I've heard this noise and it's really bothering me. I have a professional audio equipment at home, so I've recorded the moment when Phantoms (2xSilver, Dialog, PLC) starts to play, then I press "pause" in Spark and then there are two seconds of really audible hissing noise in the track.

Here is the track that I've recorded, uncompressed, 24/96.

http://bit.ly/phantom_hiss

What do you think?
(02-Mar-2016, 00:26)dmitrek Wrote: Tonight I've heard this noise and it's really bothering me. I have a professional audio equipment at home, so I've recorded the moment when Phantoms (2xSilver, Dialog, PLC) starts to play, then I press "pause" in Spark and then there are two seconds of really audible hissing noise in the track.

What do you think?

The noise is 100% audible from your file - sounds like the "startup/stop/pause" hiss others have reported.

It is different to what I experience - consistently on all the time but only at really high volume after recent firmware.

What application are you using?  Any chance their is hardware/software EQ applying some manipulation?  That "startup/stop/pause" timing sort of matches the inherent latency of the phantoms so just putting ideas out there.
(02-Mar-2016, 00:26)dmitrek Wrote: Tonight I've heard this noise and it's really bothering me. I have a professional audio equipment at home, so I've recorded the moment when Phantoms (2xSilver, Dialog, PLC) starts to play, then I press "pause" in Spark and then there are two seconds of really audible hissing noise in the track.

What do you think?
Thanks a lot for the recording! It sounds exactly like the hiss I experience.
My Phantom Voyage
I use everything standard: Spark, LAN connection to Dialog, two Silver Phantoms.

I think that the Phantoms always have this "hissing" when their internal amps are on. Obviously they turn amps off when no track is playing. I can hear that there are two stages of hiss: about a second after track stops, meaning that Phantom remains at the same volume and power, then they lower the volume, and then they completely turn amplification on.

I've also created a minute long FLAC file without any sound in it. If you want to hear the levels of ambient hiss, it is perfect to do it with that file.

I will also check if there are hissing on the optical/bluetooth tonight, just to make sure it is not a Dialog problem.
This hissing is exactly the reason I recently sent my Silver Phantoms and Dialog back to Devialet. I waited for almost a year for them to get this fixed, but it unfortunately never happened.
Devialet 250PRO - Audio Physic Avantera - AIR-ETH - Roon