Poll: Are you affected by the hissing problem?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
36.84%
28 36.84%
No
63.16%
48 63.16%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Are you affected by the hissing problem?
2x Silver Phantoms with a Dialog - no hissing at all.
2 white phantoms and dialog, no hissing.
3 Silver's plus Dialog, multiple sources whether Spark streamed, optical or Bluetooth (from MP3 to 24/192 and 16 bit Apple TV ).. No hiss from Beethoven to Demi Lovato. Ear to Phantom inter track and start-up dead silent.

Perhaps if the "hissers" can amplify their config scenarios as specifically as possible, the collective group can be more helpful in isolating the source(s)..... The phono hum detectives on the chat have decades of experience.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
Single (early) silver .... No hiss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x phantom silvers +dialog ,no hiss here !
(19-Nov-2015, 00:43)Pphantomaussie Wrote: 2x phantom silvers +dialog ,no hiss here !

No hiss here
Direct WiFi in solo: No hiss even at 100
Dialog + 2 Silver wireless: Hiss at all volumes, noticeable at 70+

I am using
http://www.xamuel.com/blank-mp3s/

With the Wifi in solo mode, I suspect that it is going into a noise reduction mode.
No hissing here either...
2x Phantom I Gold Opera de Paris 2.12.3 on Branch
2x Phantom Silver (H31XXX serials)
Dialog

Connected via wireless dialog (Computer -> Peachtree X1 -> Dialog)
Dialog and Phantoms connected via ethernet and Fritz Box Wireless.

Tested whilst playing a 'test' silence track.

1.  When through Spark application - no hiss from 0-100
2.  When playing through Spark application on Android phone - no hiss form 0-100

3.  Playing through TOSLINK on computer: 0-100 - audible hiss, sounds like 'gain' hiss to me.  Volume control on the PC does not effect the hiss level, only the spark volume control.  You have to be right up close to the Phantom at lower levels oviously.
4.  Playing through TOSLINK direct to a Phantom silver - 0-100 - audible hiss, sounds like 'gain' hiss to me - same as above.

5.  I tried testing wireless direct into the Phantom but the volume doesn't get high enough for it to matter.

6. As only the Spark App volume affects the hiss - I software amped/gained the signal and have managed to avoid going over the volume 80 thresh hold.

For those who do not experience the hiss I am not certain how loud you are playing.  The hiss is only audible 60+ which is pretty loud.
Playing media through the Spark app is equivalent or even louder than via TOSLINK .

I would think it was software given this situation - try and test this on your own set ups.  BUT I will be reporting to my distributor and keeping an eye on the developments, as this is obviously not acceptable, especially if they think it could be hardware related.

-EDIT

1.54 Update - Reduced my audible noise hiss to the volume 80+
1.60 Update - Significantly reduced noise again. Barely audible up to full volume - same test set up as above.
For those affected by the hissing problem, do you experience any difference with firmware 1.5.0.1? I'm on vacation ATM so I'm not able to test it myself.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage