Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 Gold vs 2 Classic (2000W) after DOS2
(31-Oct-2019, 19:06)Jm93 Wrote: Would be nice if someone can confirm if DOS2 on the classic does indeed sound more powerful than previously. I do enjoy the power of the Gold but I have a feeling it won't be more powerful now than the Classic. At 70-75 % volume It seems that the Gold can't push more power on the low end, only on mids and highs. It gets louder but I want that sweet rumbling it's capable of. Two whites certainly will be good but how much more powerful would two Golds be. The Gold also seem to not come truly alive until around 50-60% volume, is this the case with the white as well?

I'm sorry for asking questions that are similar.
The Classic and the Silver implements the same DSP trickery as the Gold regarding low end, so about 65-70 it's only the mid and highs that gets louder. It's pure physics, the bass drives can't deliver more volume. 
A single Gold is about 6 dB louder than a single Classic. That's twice as loud in perceived volume. In my living room a pair of Golds come alive at about 25. It's not the largest room, about 30 m2 and 245 cm from floor to the ceiling. I previously had a pair of Silvers and they needed a bit more volume to come alive. A single speaker is not comparable to a pair, I would go for a pair of Classics over a single Gold every time.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(01-Nov-2019, 00:04)ragwo Wrote:
(31-Oct-2019, 19:06)Jm93 Wrote: Would be nice if someone can confirm if DOS2 on the classic does indeed sound more powerful than previously. I do enjoy the power of the Gold but I have a feeling it won't be more powerful now than the Classic. At 70-75 % volume It seems that the Gold can't push more power on the low end, only on mids and highs. It gets louder but I want that sweet rumbling it's capable of. Two whites certainly will be good but how much more powerful would two Golds be. The Gold also seem to not come truly alive until around 50-60% volume, is this the case with the white as well?

The Classic and the Silver implements the same DSP trickery as the Gold regarding low end, so about 65-70 it's only the mid and highs that gets louder. It's pure physics, the bass drives can't deliver more volume. 
A single Gold is about 6 dB louder than a single Classic. That's twice as loud in perceived volume. In my living room a pair of Golds come alive at about 25. It's not the largest room, about 30 m2 and 245 cm from floor to the ceiling. I previously had a pair of Silvers and they needed a bit more volume to come alive. A single speaker is not comparable to a pair, I would go for a pair of Classics over a single Gold every time.

Honestly, the drivers are capable of producing at full volume. It completely depends on your setup and if there’s bass overlap in your room. I’ve experimented with this and if I manage to get a perfect listening space the bass continues to increase all the way up to 100%, on Classic, Silver, and Gold. They’re designed for the maximum output they’re allowed to do. They’re designed for more but it’s locked. Even in the Gold. 4500@108dB is not the hardware limit.

If I’m in a bad environment and try it then as I go past 75% or so the bass starts to become underwhelming or lacks attack. The drivers are still continuing to gain more excursion to keep up with the volume increase but I am sure there’s just too much power going into the room and it causes bass overlap which cancels a lot of it out.

When I try this outdoors or in a large open space without a lot of objects the bass follows the mix in its entirely all the way up to 100% volume on all Phantom. It continues to stay deep and composed, it can still output a solid low end that is present in the mix exactly as it is at lower volumes. To design a speaker capable of 108dB and yet have the woofers cut off around 98dB would be stupid. They can and do output accurately at maximum volume.

The bass on the Classics after this latest update has been tuned or phased differently because now in the same room as previously for me where it would begin to sound cut above 75%, it now stays composed all the way to 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
I wonder what difference in rms there is between the three. Especially now after the update. At 75% volume the Gold is definitely extremely loud. Two Classics at 75% would be absolutely perfect in the environment I will play music I believe. Plus the Gold looks a bit flashy in my opinion. What if devialet release a software upgrade for the Gold.. That would be frustrating if I do go for Classic.
(01-Nov-2019, 08:21)Jm93 Wrote: I wonder what difference in rms there is between the three. Especially now after the update. At 75% volume the Gold is definitely extremely loud. Two Classics at 75% would be absolutely perfect in the environment I will play music I believe. Plus the Gold looks a bit flashy in my opinion. What if devialet release a software upgrade for the Gold.. That would be frustrating if I do go for Classic.

The Gold is maxed out. There is more power in it to take it to 5000 watt but it is not necessary as the Gold is already king.

A single Classic on its own now is loud enough to hurt my ears at 100% volume. It didn’t do that before. It is loud enough that it gives off that live feeling, like a real projection of the sound image. The extra power really allows it to open up. The sound has never been so wide and accurate on a single speaker.

The other speakers won’t get power upgrades. The only speaker that has always been lacking compatibly has been the Classics. Starting at 750 watts. Then up to 1200 watts. Now 2000 watts. They’re finally in the same league as the Silver and Good. They certainly weren’t bad before, but now they’re able to comfortably sit beside Silvers and impress.

Devialet Phantom (White)
I have never actually heard my Classics or Classic sound the way it does now. Not only did the power increase but the entire sound has changed. It has a huge sounding projection. Almost as if it is in a cathedral or something. The entire sound is way more wide and open. It’s projected upwards above the speaker itself. I have never heard it sound this way and in my opinion it’s incredible. Certain songs have effects coming out to my sides and above me now, from a single speaker. That’s how far the image projects. Stereo is another level.

Devialet Phantom (White)
(01-Nov-2019, 06:58)kmjy Wrote:
(01-Nov-2019, 00:04)ragwo Wrote:

Honestly, the drivers are capable of producing at full volume. It completely depends on your setup and if there’s bass overlap in your room. I’ve experimented with this and if I manage to get a perfect listening space the bass continues to increase all the way up to 100%, on Classic, Silver, and Gold. They’re designed for the maximum output they’re allowed to do. They’re designed for more but it’s locked. Even in the Gold. 4500@108dB is not the hardware limit.

If I’m in a bad environment and try it then as I go past 75% or so the bass starts to become underwhelming or lacks attack. The drivers are still continuing to gain more excursion to keep up with the volume increase but I am sure there’s just too much power going into the room and it causes bass overlap which cancels a lot of it out.

When I try this outdoors or in a large open space without a lot of objects the bass follows the mix in its entirely all the way up to 100% volume on all Phantom. It continues to stay deep and composed, it can still output a solid low end that is present in the mix exactly as it is at lower volumes. To design a speaker capable of 108dB and yet have the woofers cut off around 98dB would be stupid. They can and do output accurately at maximum volume.

The bass on the Classics after this latest update has been tuned or phased differently because now in the same room as previously for me where it would begin to sound cut above 75%, it now stays composed all the way to 100%.

Sorry, but I'm not sure about that. Here are the frequency responses listed at Devialet.com for the Silver back in 2015 before Devialet started obscuring the specifications. 

16Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 82dB SPL, 28Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 92dB SPL, 49Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 102dB SPL

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-SAM-bass...5#pid21385
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(01-Nov-2019, 08:21)Jm93 Wrote: I wonder what difference in rms there is between the three. Especially now after the update. At 75% volume the Gold is definitely extremely loud. Two Classics at 75% would be absolutely perfect in the environment I will play music I believe. Plus the Gold looks a bit flashy in my opinion. What if devialet release a software upgrade for the Gold.. That would be frustrating if I do go for Classic.
The only way you can tell the difference between the actual models is to listen to them side by side (which I can think you are unable to do?). You can go on forever with "what ifs" and speculate. Or make a choice and start enjoying the music.
(01-Nov-2019, 09:05)ragwo Wrote:
(01-Nov-2019, 06:58)kmjy Wrote:
(01-Nov-2019, 00:04)ragwo Wrote: The Classic and the Silver implements the same DSP trickery as the Gold regarding low end, so about 65-70 it's only the mid and highs that gets louder. It's pure physics, the bass drives can't deliver more volume. 

Sorry, but I'm not sure about that. Here are the frequency responses listed at Devialet.com for the Silver back in 2015 before Devialet started obscuring the specifications. 

16Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 82dB SPL, 28Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 92dB SPL, 49Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 102dB SPL

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-SAM-bass...5#pid21385

The original Silvers are less capable than the Silvers today, or the Golds in terms of bass response and total woofer output. Why do you think original Phantom speakers cannot upgrade to DOS2. DOS2 tweaks the signal processing for the woofers to expand on their response even more, maybe now to their limits. There have been small hardware tweaks done to all the speakers throughout the years. Tweaked woofers, ADH2, SAM2, ect. The Gold had the latest iteration of the Devialet woofer (further total excursion, better heat management, and beefier internal materials/magnets) as well as ADH2 and the others soon got that hardware addition too. Speakers without the hardware tweaks were software upgraded to come as close as possible to the upgraded ones but they still have similar specs to the release specs. The audible bass response is accessible across the entire volume range on all speakers with Bluetooth and AirPlay chipsets.

Devialet Phantom (White)
So in other words the latest Classics have the same bass as silver and gold. Only at higher volumes that the silver and gold surpasses in loudness, not bass performance.
Man. It’s always the same question again and again and again. And it’s always exciting not to be able to decide. Even if it remains sometimes frustrating. It’s a real exciting though.

This is what happened to me about one month ago. I decided to finally treat myself with some good and bring amazing sound in my living room. I was always happy with my HomePod (which sounds exceptional for his size) but I wanted to have something more-everything : powerful, loud, accurate, alive. I was prepared to spend about 3.000€, about a month of salary as I’m a junior MD.
I knew my salary would go up and up but I also knew that I wanted two Gold which I can actually buy but the extra money I need to buy them would have been lost for travels, nice hotel staying etc etc you get it.

So, I was like « OK it’s gonna be 2 Classic or 2 Silvers ». And people here which are fantastic I have to say, began to tell me «  man why not 2 Reactors » and I was like noooooo waaayy I want the big one.

And now in my living room you could see two Reactor 600 with two legs standing each side of my Bravia. And they are absolutely AMAZING. I cannot recommend enough going for them.

To be totally honest one of my chief at the hospital asked if there’s any chance I would sell it to her and I said yes because the big ones are always on my mind. But that’s me.

If you stay focus on music and music quality and music vitality you could opt for two of those little guys which have a REAL implosive sound capacity.

Cheers man. Xoxo
2 x Phantom Reactor 600W - Stereo