Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
AIR 3 Beta for Mac
(11-May-2016, 17:55)Jnan_devi Wrote: Its been some time since i did iTunes. Just then i opened iTunes, I realised my fav files are in FLAC format. Luckily when on iTunes i picked the NAS driver which did have few albums in AAC or MP3.

Tried AIR 3.0 (after initial hicchups on AIR app and settings "sound" ) - ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT no Drops, No white noise nothing. i m now about 6th track. not doing critical listening yet as personally I might say my USB from Roon is equally good (biased towards Roon?). Actually I have put the system on low (-40) volume and simply allowing it to play.

Well by the time I did proof reading this message I m already done 8th Track. Will try Roon once again later. For now iTunes - ENJOYING IT!.

To listen all my Fav albums, do i have to convert FLAC to AAC ? Hate it.

Better choice than AAC is to convert FLAC to ALAC for iTunes. ALAC is the Apple version of FLAC. In my opinion it handles the metadata better. You can use MediaHuman Audio Converter from www.mediahuman.com It is freeware.
Just a quick thanks to everyone who's posted info and findings so far.

I haven't used AIR for two years now; it was too much hassle. But like everyone here (I assume), I would really like AIR to work. Having read the posts on this thread, I'm feeling optimistic. So time now to set it up and do a long test. Wish me luck!

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(11-May-2016, 19:54)Jwg1749 Wrote: Just a quick thanks to everyone who's posted info and findings so far.

I haven't used AIR for two years now; it was too much hassle. But like everyone here (I assume), I would really like AIR to work. Having read the posts on this thread, I'm feeling optimistic. So time now to set it up and do a long test. Wish me luck!

Matt

Good luck Matt! Like I said I am pleasantly surprised.  Smile 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(11-May-2016, 19:55)Antoine Wrote: And let's wait until this 'emperors new clothes' effect wears off to be sure it really sounds this much better. I somehow doubt it.

Has anyone tried AIR3 on a Mac set up as a RoonBridge, rather than on a Roon Server ?
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
(11-May-2016, 19:55)Antoine Wrote: And let's wait until this 'emperors new clothes' effect wears off to be sure it really sounds this much better. I somehow doubt it.

Well I did play some pretty d@mn good music, so you could be right  Big Grin
Personally I find it very hard to define 'better' when it comes to sound quality, but there appears to be a difference when playing the same file through AIR of through my Aurender.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
Does anyone know what versions of OS X are compatible with AIR 3?  I've never had any problems with AIR 2 but the reports of improved SQ are intriguing.  There seems to be an abysmal lack of information from Devialet to support this 'beta' release.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Tried again, this time with Tidal (keeps dropping out from Roon after a few minutes resulting in my Macbook Pro hanging). With Tidal, Air3 can see Ethernet connection, but now AIR refuses to activate. Guess I have to reboot the Mac for the n’th time - to me this reminds me strongly about Air v1 and v2. Works for some, utter annoyance for the rest of us. Normally I would try different ways, but can’t quite find the motivation given all the earlier problems and issues. Tried to re-launch AIR, no success.
(11-May-2016, 19:50)streamy Wrote:
(11-May-2016, 17:55)Jnan_devi Wrote: Its been some time since i did iTunes. Just then i opened iTunes, I realised my fav files are in FLAC format. Luckily when on iTunes i picked the NAS driver which did have few albums in AAC or MP3.

Tried AIR 3.0 (after initial hicchups on AIR app and settings "sound" ) - ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT no Drops, No white noise nothing. i m now about 6th track. not doing critical listening yet as personally I might say my USB from Roon is equally good (biased towards Roon?). Actually I have put the system on low (-40) volume and simply allowing it to play.

Well by the time I did proof reading this message I m already done 8th Track. Will try Roon once again later. For now iTunes - ENJOYING IT!.

To listen all my Fav albums, do i have to convert FLAC to AAC ? Hate it.

Better choice than AAC is to convert FLAC to ALAC for iTunes. ALAC is the Apple version of FLAC. In my opinion it handles the metadata better. You can use MediaHuman Audio Converter from www.mediahuman.com It is freeware.

XLD is a far better choice. Freeware too, can also handle DSD files, better community support and also Accuraterip database check.
(11-May-2016, 19:46)Eddye Wrote: I'm having some trouble when switching between samplerates. Probably a setting in Audirvana, I'll try and look at that sometime during the weekend.
SQ-wise this AIR3 is very good. I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing.

I have the same issue here with Audirvana 2.5.0. When not upsampling, changing sample rates requires to 'reload' the driver, ie re-select it in Audirvana's preference. In upsampling mode, I have been facing some long drop-outs (a few seconds) every hour or so.
Hope others continue to enjoy Wink
After two minutes Air stops and the icon is grey and hangs, have to restart. Running on Mac Mini with Roon and latest versions.

Edit: the Mac won't even restart...have to turn it off and on...mmm..