Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice
(17-May-2021, 11:00)Pim Wrote:
(17-May-2021, 09:49)winiar560 Wrote: What would you choose d440 pro or d250 pro (upgraded from d-premier incl.full wartanty)?  -they cost the same

The Pro does have some extras you will never get on the 440. Sweet Room being one of them. Your speaker certainly don't need the power. I'd go Pro and never look back.

They're both pro
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
(17-May-2021, 09:49)winiar560 Wrote: What would you choose d440 pro or d250 pro (upgraded from d-premier incl.full wartanty)?  -they cost the same

The Pro does have some extras you will never get on the 440. Sweet Room being one of them. Your speaker certainly don't need the power. I'd go Pro and never look back.

Would you say just go single 220 pro and save money in my case ?
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
(17-May-2021, 11:04)winiar560 Wrote:

Would you say just go single 220 pro and save money in my case ?

The 250 Pro remote is much nicer to use. The extra power might just give you a bit more sweetness at lower volumes. I'd go 250 Pro.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
If you check the results of an old poll (2015.) - you will see that there were much more 400's than 250's and I'm sure that good number of 250 owners bought them to have an easy upgrade path to 800, which is shown in another poll. Of course, some number of 400's were upgraded 200's.
https://devialetchat.com/polls.php?actio...lts&pid=27
https://devialetchat.com/polls.php?actio...ults&pid=4

Maybe we could create a new poll - to see what is the current state in 2021.

If you ask me - 440 Pro is a better choice if he doesn't plan to upgrade to 1000 Pro sometime in the future. From my experience, it just works better with "demanding" speakers. This leaves the door open for almost any future speaker upgrade without additional investment into more powerful amp. BTW, prior even thinking about 1000 Pro, I would invest into higher class speakers, since the benefits which speakers upgrade brings in this already pretty high class are without any doubts higher than with upgrade to better amp.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Good posting Delija. My setup really benefited from the double mono approach. And my speakers aren’t even that difficult to drive. I did listen to the 1000Pro later on in life too. That was noticeably better, but at a price I couldn’t ‘t and still cannot afford.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(15-May-2021, 18:45)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(15-May-2021, 08:47)Pim Wrote:
(15-May-2021, 06:11)Jean-Marie Wrote: I should not say it but the order of magnitude improvement you can make is: room treatment > changing your speakers > moving to a 250.

Jean-Marie

So there you have it; Set up> Room treatment > Changing speakers > move to 250.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think set up could be so good that room treatment becomes less important.

Yes you are right. I had hastily lumped together setup and treatment, but you are right, treatment comes only after you have a good setup. 

And a good setup can do wonders, especially by reducing the impact of the room if you are listening in near field or quasi near field. 

By the way, near field is a great solution if you have a difficult room that you cannot treat for any reason. 

Jean-Marie

Actually, you cannot have a proper setup without a well behaved room.  So, I concur with your first assessment that setup and room treatment go hand in hand.  That said I would reverse the order and put speakers first.

i.e.  changing speakers > setup and room treatments > move to 250

Why?  Because speakers exhibit an acoustical character, a flavor of sound if you will.  Setup and room treatments do not.  Proper setup and room treatments improve imaging and sound staging and are sterile, meaning there is no acoustical character in the process.  Nearfield listening, as you suggested, proves this and is sage advice for those with systems in more challenging situations.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
Nearly bought a 250 pro but the seller have messed me up so I am back to square one.
Between adding another d200 to go for dual mono or just upgrading to single 220 pro what will be better,wiser to do?

D200 cost 2700£ and upgrade 220 pro cost 2100£

Thanks
That's a tough call and one that I made years back. I had a 200 with the full intent of adding a 2nd for dual-mono. Then Devialet released the Expert Pro series. I decided to upgrade to a 220. No regrets. More refined SQ, tighter bass, etc... you can find a lot of posts from users who did the same. Of course, there are some that prefer the 200 as well. Once the CI was offered, I also added a 2nd 220 CI and have been quite happy with my 440 ever since.

But, one of the major reasons I decided to go with the newer Expert Pro CIs was it seemed that was the future for Devialet with lots of potential for further upgrades and functionality. Sadly, little of that has happened to date. While the addition of Roon Ready was a definite plus, other "features" such as Sweet Room are marginal at best. Perhaps there is still more to come from Devialet on the Expert Pro. Who knows. But even without any further improvements, it's still quite a marvel.

No doubt that if you love what your 200 is doing for you, you'll love a 400 even more. But then, you'll always wonder if the Expert Pro is better still (and IMHO it is). My gut says go with the 220 Pro CI now and save for a future 2nd 220 Pro.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(15-Jun-2021, 15:06)mdconnelly Wrote: That's a tough call and one that I made years back.  I had a 200 with the full intent of adding a 2nd for dual-mono.  Then Devialet released the Expert Pro series.  I decided to upgrade to a 220.  No regrets.  More refined SQ, tighter bass, etc... you can find a lot of posts from users who did the same.  Of course, there are some that prefer the 200 as well.  Once the CI was offered, I also added a 2nd 220 CI and have been quite happy with my 440 ever since. 

But, one of the major reasons I decided to go with the newer Expert Pro CIs was it seemed that was the future for Devialet with lots of potential for further upgrades and functionality.  Sadly, little of that has happened to date.  While the addition of Roon Ready was a definite plus, other "features" such as Sweet Room are marginal at best.  Perhaps there is still more to come from Devialet on the Expert Pro.  Who knows.  But even without any further improvements, it's still quite a marvel.

No doubt that if you love what your 200 is doing for you, you'll love a 400 even more.  But then, you'll always wonder if the Expert Pro is better still (and IMHO it is).  My gut says go with the 220 Pro CI now and save for a future 2nd 220 Pro.

Thanks mdconnelly

That's look like a good plan.
I did really wanted 250 or 250 pro to be honest and almost got it but the seller have cancelled my order even I agreed with a chance of not having Devialet warranty transfered.

The thing is I've heard d 250 (non pro) and compared in my room with same equipment and really like it.
If 220 pro will give me sq close to d250 I will be very happy indeed ,but I am a bit sceptic about it ....

Think would have to invest to get 440 pro to get the sound quality level to d250.
No doubt a 250 Pro would sound better than a 220 Pro. I think all agree on that although I'm sure it's speaker and room dependent to some extent. I've heard mixed comments on a 440 Pro vs a 250 Pro. My guess is that they're close although I've never had a chance to hear a 250 (much less a 1000). Personally, I didn't consider the 250 Pro because I knew if I did, I'd only long for a 1000 and that's just way beyond my reach.

Good luck with your choice! If you love your 200, then all choices are a step up.
Mike
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA