Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice
It is a tough call. As a generalisation, I would say if you have speakers that are relatively easy to drive, then then a 220 Pro will offer better sound quality than a 400. This and the features offered by the CI board.

In this case though, I note you are using Audio Physic Virgo 5's. I am not sure about the Virgo 5 specifically, but looking at Stereophile measurements for similar speakers, they do look like they might be a challenging load, see link:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audi...asurements

So maybe this makes the 220 Pro and 400 options almost a dead heat as options.

One thing to consider, whichever way you chose to go now, both options would allow an upgrade to 440 Pro in the future.

Maybe go with the 220 Pro option now, because in time, a second hand 220 Pro companion is likely to get ever more affordable. (Whereas the 400 to 440 Pro upgrade option is not likely to ever get much cheaper)

Or toss a coin!

As a question, how well do you think the 200 drives the Virgo 5's? Any specific shortcoming that you have noticed? What would you like to be better in terms of sound quality?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(15-Jun-2021, 17:18)Confused Wrote: It is a tough call.  As a generalisation, I would say if you have speakers that are relatively easy to drive, then then a 220 Pro will offer better sound quality than a 400.  This and the features offered by the CI board.

In this case though, I note you are using Audio Physic Virgo 5's.  I am not sure about the Virgo 5 specifically, but looking at Stereophile measurements for similar speakers, they do look like they might be a challenging load, see link:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audi...asurements

So maybe this makes the 220 Pro and 400 options almost a dead heat as options.

One thing to consider, whichever way you chose to go now, both options would allow an upgrade to 440 Pro in the future.

Maybe go with the 220 Pro option now, because in time, a second hand 220 Pro companion is likely to get ever more affordable. (Whereas the 400 to 440 Pro upgrade option is not likely to ever get much cheaper)

Or toss a coin!

As a question, how well do you think the 200 drives the Virgo 5's?  Any specific shortcoming that you have noticed?  What would you like to be better in terms of sound quality?

Thanks Confused.

I think if no d-premier ,250 or 250 pro show up in the meantime I would likely to go upgrade my 200 to 220 pro first.

As for your question about my virgo 5 speakers I think 200 drives them well but had listened to 250 and then hear that amp can do a lot better .
I would say with the 250 it's like magic (very pleasant indeed) and 200 on the other hand sounds more clinical,digital with no magic.

As these speakers have a downward firing bass port they one of the best in this matter I had in my difficult square room just after pmc ob1i which had before them.
Also tried. focal 1028 be in my room and did not like them as much at the time.
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
Off course in close future I am also thinking to change my speakers to , anyway.
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
(15-Jun-2021, 17:34)winiar560 Wrote: Off course in close future I am also thinking to change my speakers to , anyway.

Ha!  It never ends, but one thing at a time....

I have another question, the "magic" sounding 250 you tried, was that an Expert or a Pro?  The 250 Expert and 250 Pro do sound a little different, and a 400 will sound similar to a 250 Expert, and a 220 Pro should get close to sounding like a 250 Pro.  (and even more similar if you ultimately go 440 Pro)

This might give you some clues.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(15-Jun-2021, 17:58)Confused Wrote:
(15-Jun-2021, 17:34)winiar560 Wrote: Off course in close future I am also thinking to change my speakers to , anyway.

I have another question, the "magic" sounding 250 you tried, was that an Expert or a Pro?  The 250 Expert and 250 Pro do sound a little different, and a 400 will sound similar to a 250 Expert, and a 220 Pro should get close to sounding like a 250 Pro.  (and even more similar if you ultimately go 440 Pro)

That was older 250 (non pro)
(15-Jun-2021, 17:58)Confused Wrote:

Just wondering if I would really like the pro if it's so different...
I went from a 220 to D-Premier and actually liked the D-P alot. It is a great amp and in my system at least as good as the 220, which in turn was much better than my previous 200. I really recommend the D-P for someone who does not need the functionality of the pro models, and the price is usually great.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(16-Jun-2021, 19:50)frejo Wrote: I went from a 220 to D-Premier and actually liked the D-P alot. It is a great amp and in my system at least as good as the 220, which in turn was much better than my previous 200. I really recommend the D-P for someone who does not need the functionality of the pro models, and the price is usually great.

I would love to get a d-premier now (also because is cheap and upgradable to 250 pro) but missed one available and can't find one any more.
I've owned a Devialet for over 10 years, possibly in the first one hundred customers. I had the D-Premier (as the only option then), got the wifi board 6 months later, upgraded to Expert 250 three years later, and got another Expert 250 about two years after that, so D800 now.
My main reason for the first upgrade was to get the ethernet connection as wifi was notoriously unreliable (also USB connection was added). Apart from functionality, the sound has become a bit tighter, faster, I'd say a 10% improvement (I know, these % are arbitrary and make little sense). Then I had a chance to borrow another Expert 250 to make it D800 and it was a real jump in performance, I'd say 50% over just one Expert 250. I thought I HAVE TO get another one but could only afford it by selling my  analogue gear which covered most of it. BUT in the meantime, I replaced my Proac Response D80 with YG Acoustics Carmel. When I connected the second Expert 250 and went dual mono, I was surprised at how little difference it made. I would say about 20% compared to a subjective 50% on the Proac. You'd think the Proac was more difficult to drive and benefited more from the extra power. I can only say that the Proac is 91dB and the YG Acoustics is 87dB. I still don't know why that is. My point is that you hear that dual-mono made a bigger difference. Other people say the upgrade from Expert to Pro made a bigger difference. In my very experience it is speaker-dependent and unless you can try it yourself or hear from people who tried both with speakers that you have now, there is no way to tell. Btw, I also heard the D250 expert pro against my own D250 expert with the YG Acoustics speakers and preferred the pro.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(21-Jun-2021, 17:10)zdenes Wrote: I've owned a Devialet for over 10 years, possibly in the first one hundred customers. I had the D-Premier (as the only option then), got the wifi board 6 months later, upgraded to Expert 250 three years later, and got another Expert 250 about two years after that, so D800 now.
My main reason for the first upgrade was to get the ethernet connection as wifi was notoriously unreliable (also USB connection was added). Apart from functionality, the sound has become a bit tighter, faster, I'd say a 10% improvement (I know, these % are arbitrary and make little sense). Then I had a chance to borrow another Expert 250 to make it D800 and it was a real jump in performance, I'd say 50% over just one Expert 250. I thought I HAVE TO get another one but could only afford it by selling my  analogue gear which covered most of it. BUT in the meantime, I replaced my Proac Response D80 with YG Acoustics Carmel. When I connected the second Expert 250 and went dual mono, I was surprised at how little difference it made. I would say about 20% compared to a subjective 50% on the Proac. You'd think the Proac was more difficult to drive and benefited more from the extra power. I can only say that the Proac is 91dB and the YG Acoustics is 87dB. I still don't know why that is. My point is that you hear that dual-mono made a bigger difference. Other people say the upgrade from Expert to Pro made a bigger difference. In my very experience it is speaker-dependent and unless you can try it yourself or hear from people who tried both with speakers that you have now, there is no way to tell. Btw, I also heard the D250 expert pro against my own D250 expert with the YG Acoustics speakers and preferred the pro.

interesting
i prefer my 800 with older FW 7.1.6 ( i think) with my YGs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk