Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice
Ok people.
Question of the day:
1.expert 200 at 2500£ (will make me a dual mono 400)

2. Expert 220 pro ci at 3600 £
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
Sorry to do this, but "it depends'  Big Grin

Do you want to stick with the 400? the answer is obviously yes.

If, in the back of your head, you're thinking of making a 440 Pro CI at some point, get the 220, sell the 200 and wait for another 220 to come along at the right price.
The upgrade from 400 to 440 is more expensive than the price difference you listed between the 200 and the 220 .

I went through the same use case, went for the 220 and bought a second 220 9 months later. Very happy with that choice.
System: Roon on NUC, music library on Synology NAS, all connected via ethernet. Thorens TD-160 super (revised and restored) with SME 3009-III, Devialet Expert pro 440 CI, Marten Django XL
See last line of post #56. (previous page of this thread)

You need to find a way to answer this question. Once this question is resolved, which will involve the challenge of somehow getting a Pro to listen to, then the decision gets a lot easier.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(23-Jun-2021, 15:15)Confused Wrote: See last line of post #56. (previous page of this thread)

You need to find a way to answer this question. Once this question is resolved, which will involve the challenge of somehow getting a Pro to listen to, then the decision gets a lot easier.

I agree with Confused. You've gotten lots of advice from people. In the end, it's YOUR ears and preferences. I strongly advise you to find a way to listen...and soon, while both of these deals are available. Your ears will inform your brain.

Good luck!
Audiolab 6000CDT, Innuos Zenith MK II, Roon, Synology NAS, D250 Pro CI, Graham Audio Chartwell LS6f, Thorens TD-160, Pickering XV-15 1200e
(24-Jun-2021, 18:35)musialsuspect Wrote:
(23-Jun-2021, 15:15)Confused Wrote: See last line of post #56. (previous page of this thread)

I agree with Confused. You've gotten lots of advice from people. In the end, it's YOUR ears and preferences. I strongly advise you to find a way to listen...and soon, while both of these deals are available. Your ears will inform your brain.

Good luck!
Thanks.
Unfortunately I have no option to try any of these before purchase so must rely on what heard already and all the advice from owners as will be buying second hand one and also at the lowest price can find.

Today I've nearly bought another d200 for what I think a good price at 2500£ but at the end I did not.
Something stopped me thinking maybe better to upgrade to 220 pro or even considering 250 (non pro) but this one will cost me double.
@winiar560 -Tough decision when you can't hear them. I know if it were me, I'd always wonder if I should have gone the Pro route. 5 years ago when I replaced my 200 with a 220, very few had a chance to hear it first. So I took a leap and glad I did. Buying the 2nd 220 awhile later when I could afford it was a no brainer.

I didn't see in any of the posts as to whether you use Roon or might do so in the future. If so, then having a Roon Ready Expert Pro should be a consideration. The Experts are not and will never be Roon Ready although you can stream via Roon's integration of AIR.

But hey, whatever you do, there is no wrong choice.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Just a quick update.

Ive exhausted my options as didn't work out have just ordered an upgrade of my 200 to 220 pro ci.
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
7 pages of advice and you take the worst decision...Just kidding!

The CI version gives you so many more options connection wise but, more importantly, you have the option of using Sweet Room. It give you the option to 'fix' room issues or you could just decided to make your amp sound like a tube amp for a change. It's a fun way to try different sounds.

I'm sure you won't regret it.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(25-Jun-2021, 22:21)Pim Wrote: 7 pages of advice and you take the worst decision...Just kidding!

The CI version gives you so many more options connection wise but, more importantly, you have the option of using Sweet Room. It give you the option to 'fix' room issues or you could just decided to make your amp sound like a tube amp for a change. It's a fun way to try different sounds.

I'm sure you won't regret it.

Thanks Pim

As I said before I've nearly bought a mint expert 200 at would say not that much more than the upgrade to 220 cost but stopped at the last minute before pushing the buy button.

There is a couple of reasons why I did it:

Could not find anything sensible at a good price after the seller of 250 pro messed me up.

There is something in the sound of d200 which I don't like is I would describe as clinical sound signature ,less natural sounding amp especially in comparison to d250.Ive noticed the highs the most unpleasant.

Chose to go to pro for a few reasons but mostly as people described warmer sound signature ,better at lower volumes more dynamic,better bass texture,wider soundstage and so on.
Some people also said it is as good as d400 in most aspects.
And off course you're getting very good streamer ,more power,and sweet room which is also very important to me as my room having some problems with modes.
Lastly I could buy a second hand 220 pro but the cheapest ive found was at 3600£ not the greatest condition and not much warranty if any left which I will get 5 years after upgrade and my d200 also is in great cosmetic condition (as new).

Another thing is looking at some second hand d200 sold in UK quite recently I would say people would not like to pay much more than 2000£  for one and it would be hard to sell as well.

Last thing I would like to add is I am getting 220 pro route. with the intention to add another one to make 440 pro in near future (time will tell).

For now I need to wait before the whole upgrading process gone through.
Hi.
An update.
Following after my decision of an upgrade to 220 pro have been waiting a couple of days and changed my mind AGAIN, cancelled. the upgrade and bought another expert 200 to form 400 dual mono.
Ive also had to buy two (identical) power cables (bought audioquest nrg-z3) and another set of isoacoustics orea bronze .
Have set them up stacked with 4x bronze at the bottom plus 3× bronze between amps.
At first had a little problem with SD cards configurations but soon sorted .
Before the audioquest z3s bought some puritan audio classics power cables but after listening was dissapointed with them and returned .
Then bought audioquests which are much better.
As for the linking digital cable at first ive had an old REAL CABLE short rca to rca and with that it was not sounded right.
Ive also found an xlr to rca adapter from old days so I though I'm gonna try rca to xlr link for devialet and found it much better higher quality sound.
But still it wasn't sounding right to me.

So I've tried all my analog rca cables one by one in both configurations and found some black rhodium. RHAPSODY bettered some of more expensive ones like tellurium q blue.
This black rhodium cable given me the biggest impact with making sound more organic,natural,with bigger soudstage,more air. (high class).

Comparing to d250 which I had pleasure to listen before in my house I would say the quality of the sound in general is close and very comparable but also different as 400 sounds more neutral ,but also I think the base control is better here with dual mono 400.

As for 200 to 400 comparison with my equipment the difference is significant and for better,the control of the speakers now is unreal,the speed,separation, almost everything significantly better.

I am at the moment evolving some more options with higher class linking cable as think it can be improved.

For now I'm happy and if nothing change have plans to upgrade them to 440 pro in near future.