Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are phantoms/dialog reliable now?
Dear all,
I've been on the fence for almost a year now, and have not yet purchased a couple of phantoms as I had the clear feeling software stability just was not there.

Its months since I have last checked, is the situation better now? I would be using a simple stereo setup for the phantoms and they would need to be in wifi, just one room: can you hear a symphony withou worrying of clicks and stops?

Thanks,

Vanni
No clicks yes, when you have a standard power installation and can use the integrated PLC or a ethernet network. No stops unfortunately no, the system is still not able to play gapless. So after each track you get a 0.5s stop and play. This could be disturbing when listening to classical music or live performances. Else the Phantoms can run 24/7 without any problem, rock solid! I enjoy 3 Phantoms since March 2015. Initial problems have been ironed out. Spark still could benefit from improved features that would help you organize your libraries, provide infos about albums, artists etc., let you see and search the metafile information etc. For all that you can use other services like Spotify or Roon and connect streamers to the optical inputs of Phantom or Dialog.Like this you can als get gapless, e.g with a Raspberry Pi.
Go for it! Smile
The stability is really good, I only have drop outs if streaming music and saturating my very narrow broadband connection with uploads. Devialet's Xmas offer is good, a free Dialog with Airplay compatibility and a free Apple TV. I would have bought a pair of Gold's, they sound better than the Silver and the background noise is significantly reduced.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Go for it, no problems at all overhere with two phantoms and dialog on the same powerblock and in the same room

Buy them in december now and you have christmas discount and 45 days trail
If you were on the fence, the Christmas offer makes it no brainer. Airplay in the new Dialog gives an integrated way to bypass Spark until its issues are resolved.
(04-Dec-2016, 16:11)cloudkicker Wrote: If you were on the fence, the Christmas offer makes it no brainer. Airplay in the new Dialog gives an integrated way to bypass Spark until its issues are resolved.

Qobuz via spark sounds great!
It's been a dramatic improvement for me. WIFI, 25 feet away from dialog, two rooms set up, solid stable. A few drop outs a day - but only for less than a second. I don't have a problem with that. Very very impressed by Devialet's commitment to improving. Of course, there is still room to improve further including at the top of my list, a wish for EQ.
Rock solid for me now.
Plays solidly over wifi or streaming Tidal with Spark for hours every day, zero drop outs.
(08-Dec-2016, 15:13)Plainview Wrote: Rock solid for me now.
Plays solidly over wifi or streaming Tidal with Spark for hours every day, zero drop outs.

Unfortunately

Can't confirm ... Frequent drop and disconnection from Network...

Now considering to have several Pi 3 with hifiberry and use Roon for group play...
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
(08-Dec-2016, 15:41)angenet Wrote:
(08-Dec-2016, 15:13)Plainview Wrote: Rock solid for me now.

Unfortunately

Can't confirm ... Frequent drop and disconnection from Network...

Now considering to have several Pi 3 with hifiberry and use Roon for group play...

I wonder does your setup of 5 Phantoms cause the Dialog to struggle more....
considering its a hot plate trying to deal with 2 Phantoms, I can imagine 5 is a major struggle!