Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Auralic Aries
Still, I can hardly understand why it took them 4 CES days to realize that the big Aries can't do Mqa...
Who's to blame on this one: Meridian for their implementation strategy, or Auralic for their on a long-sight loosing marketing strategy?
(12-Jan-2016, 12:51)ciptip Wrote: Still, I can hardly understand why it took them 4 CES days to realize that the big Aries can't do Mqa...
Who's to blame on this one: Meridian for their implementation strategy, or Auralic for their on a long-sight loosing marketing strategy?

As I understand Auralic already hade the code implemented in firmware 3.00 to do MQA when they (Meridian) changed their mind on how MQA is going to only for now be implemented in the DAC so I dont think Auralic is to blame for this.

But ROON ready works now with the new firmware.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(12-Jan-2016, 15:46)octaviars Wrote:
(12-Jan-2016, 12:51)ciptip Wrote: Still, I can hardly understand why it took them 4 CES days to realize that the big Aries can't do Mqa...

As I understand Auralic already hade the code implemented in firmware 3.00 to do MQA when they (Meridian) changed their mind on how MQA is going to only for now be implemented in the DAC so I dont think Auralic is to blame for this.

Thanks Octaviars,
looks like a sound argument; the timing was just strange to me, meridian announced mqa implementation since more than a year already, it took them another 4 days at the CES to realize they can't do it for nondac streamers?
As you can see in my earlier post I needed a suggestion if the Aries is worth investing for the sound quality diffenence, considering that I now own a sqbox touch (lazy, bugy, annoying).
(12-Jan-2016, 17:18)ciptip Wrote:
(12-Jan-2016, 15:46)octaviars Wrote:

Thanks Octaviars,
looks like a sound argument; the timing was just strange to me, meridian announced mqa implementation since more than a year already, it took them another 4 days at the CES to realize they can't do it for nondac streamers?
As you can see in my earlier post I needed a suggestion if the Aries is worth investing for the sound quality diffenence, considering that I now own a sqbox touch (lazy, bugy, annoying).

The Aries is a nice piece of equipment and I find it performing very well.

I have an Android tablet and Auralic dont support their platform anymore so with the latest firmware Tidal and some other things is gone in their Lightning App bur if you use iOS the app is what I have heard very good and the version that is coming out in a couple of days is supposed to be really nice after what I saw from CES.

I currently is using Bubble UPnP app to control it and today I started a trial period of ROON on my computer so right now I am using ROON ready to connect to my Aries and that works flawless.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Roon is not available to me Sad
I have updated my Aries to V3 but Roon still only shows Aries AirPlay...
Any ideas please?
Dev 220 Pro/ATC scm40/Sony9000es/Roon/Mac Mini/Anthem 720 AVR/ATC C1 Center/M&k Tri-Pols/Sony U800/Sony 65A1
(30-Dec-2015, 22:05)Giddy707 Wrote:
(04-Jan-2015, 08:51)Mohmm Wrote:
(02-Jan-2015, 22:51)IanG-UK Wrote: Now bear in mind that AIR was developed at a time when it was only compatible with Mac and that, since the very start, Devialet has demonstrated exclusive using Mac.

And that Air 2.1.1 (November 2013) had some noise problems with Mac and that Air 2.1.2 (May(?) 2014) has had persistent noise problems with Mac.

And that Air 2.1.2 is operable with ethernet and so independent of local wifi conditions and yet still gets white noise problems.

Sorry for entering this debate, but I really find general and exaggerated claims that AIR (2.1.1 or 2.1.2) is persistently not working with Macs highly inappropriate if not false. I am using AIR with iTunes (any version) as a front end and via ethernet without any problem ever. Even wireless worked flawlessly for 24*44.1 resolution. In my house the signal is not good enough for higher resolutions, but realistically I expected that problem from the beginning and hooked up a cable. (By the way, my OS is still 10.8.5. Usually I hesitate to go with the crowd in quickly upgrading the OS due to potential incompatibilities with some of my apps.)

I see that some of you guys think that iTunes is not good enough for your taste and that your music needs third party players and up-samplers for sounding right. Honestly, I tried most of these programs but none worked without hitch. Either they crashed easily or they did not handle gapless playback. So I returned to the most purist setup, i.e. just using iTunes as a catalog and AIR as a player with no additional software between my music catalog and my enjoyment.

I do use PureMusic when playing to the D via AES/EBU, using the firewire output on my Mac and a Weiss interface. Then PureMusic just serves for switching the Weiss thing to the native resolution without any up-sampling. (This connection still gives a tick better sound than ethernet; much better in any case than the sonically flawed USB technology.)

Also I do not see any good sense in up-sampling my music files on the computer (using the afore-mentioned apps) with its digitally "noisy" environment that can never be fully controlled even when quitting all (?) other processes. In my opinion my D250 that is now a D800 does this in the best possible way. At the end I purchased a D-Premier because of its DSP quality. So why not leave the up-sampling to the D?

OK, I accept that some of us enjoy playing with apps and preferences and settings on their way to musical enjoyment, thereby complicating the pathway of the signal. Sometimes I do so myself. But more often I just prefer to enjoy a flawlessly working system and the music it reproduces.

Just my two Euro cents  ;-)

Totally Agree.  I have spent many hours, trying several apps and always finding some issues.  Eventually I gave up.  Here in lies the gem-iTunes that works.  We may argue about what sounds better till the cow comes home and still will not come to a consensus.
iTunes woks flawlessly from the get go with AIR.  It's user interface and remote app just works well.  For me the adventure of trying out Audirvana, ROON JRiver distract me from enjoying the music itself.  
I am getting a MacMini to dedicate it to playing music, placing it next to my Devialet 800.  The D is the best investment I experience in over 35 years of HiFi.

Just my two CAD cents :-)   

CHEERS and Happy New Year!!

There is not much I can add to that, just I completly agree with both of you!
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
(12-Jan-2016, 20:22)jukemark Wrote: Roon is not available to me Sad
Any ideas please?

Reboot and switch the Aries to cabled network connection. Wireless connection seems to be completely f....d up since the firmware upgrade, especially when using more then on Aries on the Network.
Aries shows then up as Roon ready device AND as Airplay device. Just select the RAAT device.
(12-Jan-2016, 20:33)Tomthecat Wrote:
Any ideas please?

Reboot and switch the Aries to cabled network connection. Wireless connection seems to be completely f....d up since the firmware upgrade, especially when using more then on Aries on the Network.
Aries shows then up as Roon ready device AND as Airplay device. Just select the RAAT device.

All sorted thanks!
Dev 220 Pro/ATC scm40/Sony9000es/Roon/Mac Mini/Anthem 720 AVR/ATC C1 Center/M&k Tri-Pols/Sony U800/Sony 65A1
(12-Jan-2016, 23:23)jukemark Wrote:
(12-Jan-2016, 20:33)Tomthecat Wrote:
Any ideas please?

All sorted thanks!
Today Roon has been updatet to fully support RAAT, makes things more stable as it seems. Enjoy!
Brick 
Hi, I have an Aries (streaming to Devialet 200) and an Aries Mini (streaming to Phantom x 2) grouped via Roon and while I can play the same track to both at the same time they are out of sync. Anyone one know how to resolve this?

I listed the same question on the AURALiC community site and got the following comment from one member. 

I suspect that this is due to the inherent DSP within the Phantom which is known to result in an audio delay. The DSP cannot be disabled and I don’t believe Roon can add an audio delay to the signal sent to the Devialet.

Unfortunately I nothing about DSP, other than looking it up and discovering it is Digital Signalling Processing - I note the Aries Lightening app interface offers control of DAC Delay (1,2,3,4 or 5 sec) and DSD over PCM (Dop V1.1) but nothing for DSP - as you can see I'm a novice in respect of this technology - ummmmm.
Down under (NZ)
- System-1: MacBook Pro running Spark / Roon | D200 | TMC Gold Reference Speaker Cables | USHER CP-8571-D
- System-2: MacBook Pro running Spark | Dialog | Phantom Silver