Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aurender N100 v AIR
I don't think the Aurender or the Melco do internet radio!! That's a shame as I do use this on occasions
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
If you use bubble UPnP as a controler for the Melco is it not possible to stream internetradio that way? I tested my Aries with bubble and Tidal works fine thru bubble app but I did not check if internetradio is avalible in the app. The Melco N1A is a machine that I am very interested in.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(10-Oct-2015, 07:59)Womaz Wrote: Well after a good nights sleep I think the idea of having the music on the actual server as opposed to a NAS really appeals. So may go that way.
Will need a back up so maybe could keep existing NAS to do that. Problem is that journey terrifies me.  Big Grin

If I go for the Aurender my dealer does this so will help me , if I go for Melco I will have to buy online and pretty much do it all myself. I am sure I am capable but that's a lot of hassle .
Melco £1600  Aurender £2700..,.. Decisions decisions ?

I now use my NAS for backup, both music and some data. I haven't heard the Melco but I have the reviews on this site. If you feel the need to have setup assistance, then the Aurender is the way to go. I have decades of experience and I recently spent about a week trying to setup a particular music renderer and then found it didn't sound great. It was a frustrating experience.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
Just so you do not get disappointed, Bubble DS next do support Tidal, but nowhere near as the Aurender app does...

It is there but it is basic, it was also one of the reasons I didn't go in to a dual PC set with Jplay streamer

Kind Regards Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
(10-Oct-2015, 16:30)rwjr44 Wrote:
(10-Oct-2015, 07:59)Womaz Wrote: Well after a good nights sleep I think the idea of having the music on the actual server as opposed to a NAS really appeals. So may go that way.
Will need a back up so maybe could keep existing NAS to do that. Problem is that journey terrifies me.  Big Grin

If I go for the Aurender my dealer does this so will help me , if I go for Melco I will have to buy online and pretty much do it all myself. I am sure I am capable but that's a lot of hassle .

I now use my NAS for backup, both music and some data. I haven't heard the Melco but I have the reviews on this site. If you feel the need to have setup assistance, then the Aurender is the way to go. I have decades of experience and I recently spent about a week trying to setup a particular music renderer and then found it didn't sound great. It was a frustrating experience.

Yes it makes sense to go for the Aurender. I will make my mind up next week......on another point do any of you ever get a bit of a discount off your dealers. I never seem to , maybe the Hifi world is just like that.
Mind my local dealer is always helpful and even after I have gone elsewhere for last couple of purchases
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(10-Oct-2015, 16:30)rwjr44 Wrote:

Yes it makes sense to go for the Aurender. I will make my mind up next week......on another point do any of you ever get a bit of a discount off your dealers. I never seem to , maybe the Hifi world is just like that.
Mind my local dealer is always helpful and even after I have gone elsewhere for last couple of purchases
(10-Oct-2015, 19:30)Womaz Wrote: Yes it makes sense to go for the Aurender. I will make my mind up next week......on another point do any of you ever get a bit of a discount off your dealers. I never seem to , maybe the Hifi world is just like that.

I may also take the plunge and at least get an n100h on home demo next week. I want to compare to the Mac mini & regen with linear. So we might be comparing notes! I'm going to shop around for discounts - worth trying since the Aurender are very unfairly converted to £. I actually complained to Aurender HQ. They say dCS set the price as they are the UK importers.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(11-Oct-2015, 00:18)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(10-Oct-2015, 19:30)Womaz Wrote: Yes it makes sense to go for the Aurender. I will make my mind up next week......on another point do any of you ever get a bit of a discount off your dealers. I never seem to , maybe the Hifi world is just like that.

I may also take the plunge and at least get an n100h on home demo next week.  I want to compare to the Mac mini & regen with linear. So we might be comparing notes! I'm going to shop around for discounts - worth trying since the Aurender are very unfairly converted to £. I actually complained to Aurender HQ. They say dCS set the price as they are the UK importers.

Yes I am also thinking its seems expensive compared to the US. Could probably buy it online from the USA, pay the postage and import charges and still work out cheaper.
If you do go for it I would be very interested to hear what you think.

I have done a load of reading and research last night and I can feel another bout of sitting on the fence coming on  Big Grin
The whole point of this for me is I have lost patience with AIR, and I want to take the PC out of the music playback chain.
The two options above have a major drawback in that they dont have internet radio. This means to listen to the radio i am back to using the PC........with all of the problems i have now. Also the Aurender app. I can get used to the bloody awful colour and display, but having to use the I Pad horizontal is not ideal at all for me. I do a lot of late night listening and usually I am lying down. It was quite difficult to operate whilst doing this. This is probably a minor quibble, but this and the lack of radio making me reconsider. I think even the Aries Mini has an internet radio function.

I will move away from AIR in the next month or so for sure as I have a high res music collection that I just cant play. I also have no more room for any more CDs, and I have to start buying downloads again.

I wonder if I can use JRiver remote with the Melco? It looks like I can use the Linn app. I would prefer it if they has their own and it sounds like that could be coming soon.........the journey continues.
Funnily enough, I managed to have a quick play with an Aurender N10 yesterday. (with a Hugo TT + headphones, not a Dev unfortunately). It's a very nice bit of kit.

Knowing that the UK prices are a little high, I have just done a check on UK vs US prices, at today's exchange rates. The difference? It is a whopping £1800 more in the UK. (the difference being more than the full asking price of the Melco N1A) I am sure that some of this will be down to differences in taxation, but this is a 35% increase, so it looks like a big chunk of this is down to the distributors costs. I am usually fairly relaxed about the fact we often pay a little more in the UK, but at this level it really puts me off. A shame, because I like the product.

(Does anyone know what the N10 retails for in Europe??)
Well the N100 is $2700 and it is £2700, so it is one hell of a difference on this model