Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aurender N100 v AIR
Chatting to one of the Oxford Audio guys yesterday, he said that he and some customers have found that the X100 sounds better than the N100. (the X100 is their top seller apparently) You could be cynical and think that it's strange that the dealers always say the more expensive stuff sounds better, but maybe there is something in this.

One point to note, Oxford audio have the full Aurender range and the Melco's in store. They even have the D200 and PMC's on demo. A huge distance for you I know, but a weekend away in Oxford could be interesting for you, there is nothing like hearing for yourself.
(11-Oct-2015, 11:50)Confused Wrote: Chatting to one of the Oxford Audio guys yesterday, he said that he and some customers have found that the X100 sounds better than the N100.  (the X100 is their top seller apparently)  You could be cynical and think that it's strange that the dealers always say the more expensive stuff sounds better, but maybe there is something in this.

One point to note, Oxford audio have the full Aurender range and the Melco's in store.  They even have the D200 and PMC's on demo.  A huge distance for you I know, but a weekend away in Oxford could be interesting for you, there is nothing like hearing for yourself.

I could not agree more about hearing for myself, but a trip to Oxford just not an option as time etc.
The £2700 for the N100 is right at the top end of what I am prepared to pay to be honest as it was never my intention to buy a NP as I thought thats what the Devialet did.......hey but thats for another thread Big Grin
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Womaz - You have a couple of things to wait for. Firstly, DIALOG compatibility with Expert coming very soon. (Fairly soon, maybe) Also, Melco are apparently working on their own control app, so it might be worth waiting to see what this is like. (the timescale for this is even more vague than that for the DIALOG.

Meanwhile, enjoy AIR and some top tunes!
(11-Oct-2015, 10:45)Womaz Wrote: Well the N100 is $2700 and it is £2700, so it is one hell of a difference on this model

The price differential cuts both ways as we all know. Look at UK vs US pricing for Harbeth speakers, and yet.. Harbeth brand remains very popular in the states.

As for X100 vs N100, I've heard some who prefer X100 over N100 also. The X100 is pretty sweet. I'm certainly not in camp that linear power supplies necessarily equate to better SQ than audio application designed SMPS in all instances. Always contrast and compare. You may be surprised as it is about so much more than what PS is in an audio component.
@confused: N10 is 8998€ inclusive tax

Sent by iPad
(11-Oct-2015, 12:18)Confused Wrote: Womaz - You have a couple of things to wait for.  Firstly, DIALOG compatibility with Expert coming very soon.  (Fairly soon, maybe)  Also, Melco are apparently working on their own control app, so it might be worth waiting to see what this is like.  (the timescale for this is even more vague than that for the DIALOG.

Meanwhile, enjoy AIR and some top tunes!

If I knew Dialog was say 6 months away I could do this, but there is no timescales . This has always been my priority as having an all Devialet solution really appeals. I also already have the Dialog, but I think I have finally lost my patience. Seven months and I have not been able to play any of my high res music and more importantly, been unable to buy any more.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(11-Oct-2015, 12:29)Elztalbiker Wrote: @confused: N10 is 8998€ inclusive tax

Sent by iPad

Thanks for the feedback.  €8998 equates to £6668 GBP at the moment, so that is "only" £431 over the UK price.  For certain, I would not take a £431 saving over good service from a UK dealer that could arrange a demo, provide support if required etc.  It's enough cash to be annoying, but not a deal breaker, plus provides leverage for a bit of gentle haggling!  Looking at prices in the US, Australia and a couple of other places I found on line, I am coming to the conclusion that it's the entire EU that is being ripped off!
(11-Oct-2015, 12:29)Elztalbiker Wrote: @confused: N10 is 8998€ inclusive tax

Sent by iPad

How much tax? We have 25% in Sweden for example.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(11-Oct-2015, 12:31)Womaz Wrote: If I knew Dialog was say 6 months away I could do this, but there is no timescales . This has always been my priority as having an all Devialet solution really appeals. I also already have the Dialog, but I think I have finally lost my patience. Seven months and I have not been able to play any of my high res music and more importantly, been unable to buy any more.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but from your recent posts it seems to me that holding out until you find the "perfect" solution is getting in the way of enjoying the system (and music) you have already.

Since it seems there isn't a single streamer that "ticks all the boxes" for you, buying one now is a bit of a gamble that it will develop in the way you would like it to.  You might be lucky, if the software and services evolve in the right direction, but equally you might be left with something that permanently niggles or lacks some feature you need/want.

If you have high-resolution music files that you can't play at the moment, have you considered down-converting them to CD resolution (that is, making lower-resolution copies)?  I know that's not a perfect -- or even elegant -- solution, but at least you'd be able to listen to the music you have now or might buy in future.  And you wouldn't need to push yourself into deciding to buy something that isn't exactly what you want.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(11-Oct-2015, 13:50)thumb5 Wrote:
(11-Oct-2015, 12:31)Womaz Wrote: If I knew Dialog was say 6 months away I could do this, but there is no timescales . This has always been my priority as having an all Devialet solution really appeals. I also already have the Dialog, but I think I have finally lost my patience. Seven months and I have not been able to play any of my high res music and more importantly, been unable to buy any more.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but from your recent posts it seems to me that holding out until you find the "perfect" solution is getting in the way of enjoying the system (and music) you have already.

Since it seems there isn't a single streamer that "ticks all the boxes" for you, buying one now is a bit of a gamble that it will develop in the way you would like it to.  You might be lucky, if the software and services evolve in the right direction, but equally you might be left with something that permanently niggles or lacks some feature you need/want.

If you have high-resolution music files that you can't play at the moment, have you considered down-converting them to CD resolution (that is, making lower-resolution copies)?  I know that's not a perfect -- or even elegant -- solution, but at least you'd be able to listen to the music you have now or might buy in future.  And you wouldn't need to push yourself into deciding to buy something that isn't exactly what you want.

Thanks for the post. It may come across that it's taking away the enjoyment. Honestly that is not the case the one thing that makes me stick with Devialet is the enjoyment i get from it. In the past when I have bought new equipmment the novelty wears off. Not with the 200, seven months down the line every time I listen to it I have a big grin on my face. I can honestly say I have never listened to music this much . Never. The Devialet is amazing. My gripes are the misleading advertising and promotion of this product.

For me it has meant me going back to buying CDs again and missing a large section of my music. I have been patient but that has finally gone and I need to move on from AIR.
I appreciate I can redo my high Res files .........so I have to do this after buying one if the most advanced pieces of Hifi kit on the market. Just doesn't sit right. Appreciate the post though.