Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug for SAM+BASS on FIRMWARE 13.1.3 DOS 2.2.4
I just reported to DEVIALET SUPPORT here below bug.
Has any one of you come across this bug?

================================================================================
After switching from FIRMWARE 13.0.0 DOS 2.2.2 to FIRMWARE 13.1.3 DOS 2.2.4, I encountered here below bug. To me, this seems to be a software bug for the last firmware (it is not occurring using the previous firmware).

Configuration and setup:
- Device: dual mono made with two "Expert 140 Pro", both with no preamplified output; menu info is showing "EXPERT 210 PRO"
- FIRMWARE 13.1.3 DOS 2.2.4

Test scenario:
- Set SAM = on
- Set TONE \ BASS = 0.0 dB
- Set volume to a medium value (e.g. -25.0 dB)
- Play any track having strong bass
- Slowly change TONE \ BASS from 0.0 dB to +18.0 dB

Bug: While increasing the TONE \ BASS setting, starting with very low values (a few dB plus), amplifier is clipping bass, and sound is getting very heavy distortions.

Additional info:
- This bug is only for FIRMWARE 13.1.3 DOS 2.2.4. It is NOT occurring on FIRMWARE 13.0.0 DOS 2.2.2.
- This bug is occurring with remote setting SAM = on, and it is NOT occurring with remote setting SAM = off.
- Bug occurrence is not depending on SAM % setting.
- Bug occurrence is not depending on SAM profile (I tried multiple profiles).
- Bug occurrence is not depending on volume setting.
- Bug occurrence is not depending on input (I tried Ethernet AIR, Ethernet ROON READY, and USB).

Additional bug: Even configurator is set to "Balance mode" = "Stereo", and each speaker is set to "Balance applies to this output" = off, when switching the remote to TONE \ BALANCE setting, amplifier is switching the sound to mono.
================================================================================
I have not noticed any of this with my 250 on the same firmware. I use a SAM config for my speakers that is not in the web data base - maybe I do not have the error for that reason.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I can confirm that with Firmware 13.1.3 and DOS 2.2.4 if I set bass to +18.0 and SAM ON I get a lot of distortion. It is OK with SAM off or with Bass at normal levels. It is not a setting I normally use so I do not know how it would have sounded on the previous firmware.
Roon -> AIR -> Ethernet ->  D220-> KEF Reference 3
(16-Apr-2019, 21:09)Graham Wrote: I can confirm that with Firmware 13.1.3 and DOS 2.2.4 if I set bass to +18.0 and SAM ON I get a lot of distortion.  It is OK with SAM off or with Bass at normal levels.  It is not a setting I normally use so I do not know how it would have sounded on the previous firmware.

To me also it is not a setting I normally use (I accidentally discovered this bug). As far as I can see, depending on track sound characteristics, this bug is occurring even at low +dB values for bass.
Besides, there is another post (https://devialetchat.com/Thread-220-pro-distortion) on this bug, but it is about treble.

Something is very wrong with FIRMWARE 13.1.3 DOS 2.2.4 + bass + treble + SAM...

Since there are a lot of heavy distortions, to me this a strong reason for concern in relation to general sound quality, even when bass and treble set at 0dB. 
This is why I decided to switch back to FIRMWARE 13.0.0 DOS 2.2.2, until Devialet will fix this issue.
(16-Apr-2019, 21:56)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: switch back to FIRMWARE 13.0.0 DOS 2.2.2, until Devialet will fix this issue.

I've seen reports that one is prevented from going back to earlier versions (I have not tried this myself).   Have you found a workaround?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(17-Apr-2019, 08:16)ogs Wrote:
(16-Apr-2019, 21:56)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: switch back to FIRMWARE 13.0.0 DOS 2.2.2, until Devialet will fix this issue.

I've seen reports that one is prevented from going back to earlier versions (I have not tried this myself).   Have you found a workaround?

I had no problems in switching from the new firmware/dos to the old one, and vice versa. I did this multiple times, on two Expert 140 Pro (at least 2 times per each device). I just follow the standard procedure: unplug device from the mains, insert SD card with firmware/dos, and then plug device to the mains. Upgrade/downgrade worked fine, and at the end both firmware and dos where changed.
Good! Then I suspect the reports I've seen are user errors.
Devialetless!
(14-Apr-2019, 14:09)ogs Wrote: I have not noticed any of this with my 250 on the same firmware. I use a SAM config for my speakers that is not in the web data base - maybe I do not have the error for that reason.

How did you manage to use "a SAM config for my speakers that is not in the web data base"? Do you know how to change the config file (dp_cfg.txt), and it still working? I tried to manually change the config file, but Devialet unit doesn't accept the file after it is manually edited.
I'm asking about this because I'm searching a solution for this issue: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Bug-for-...-dual-mono.

Thank you.
(18-Apr-2019, 10:04)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:
(14-Apr-2019, 14:09)ogs Wrote: I have not noticed any of this with my 250 on the same firmware. I use a SAM config for my speakers that is not in the web data base - maybe I do not have the error for that reason.

How did you manage to use "a SAM config for my speakers that is not in the web data base"? Do you know how to change the config file (dp_cfg.txt), and it still working? I tried to manually change the config file, but Devialet unit doesn't accept the file after it is manually edited.
I'm asking about this because I'm searching a solution for this issue: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Bug-for-...-dual-mono.

Thank you.

Because I had my speakers measured when SAM-Lab had a session in my home town. As my speakers are modified and differs from the standard model I got the finished SAM profile direct by email.

EDIT: the Devialet config file is protected by a CRC routine. Any 'tampering' will change the file's check sum and it will be rejected. No one has yet figured out which CRC routine is used..
Devialetless!
Just for the record, I experienced the exact same bug on a CI 220, same firmware.
SAM had to be disabled before the distortion would stop. Dialing SAM down to 0% made no difference.