Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cartridges and phono settings
I'm hoping that someone might be able to suggest the correct settings for a Lyra Kleos pickup. I'm completely defeated in trying to understand what the correct settings should be. Any help will be most sincerely and gratefully appreciated.
Devialet 400, Wilson Sophia 2, VPI Super Scoutmaster with SDS and 3D tonearm, Lyra Kleos, Audience AU24SE Low Z tonearm cable, Kubala Sosna Emotion Speaker Cables, Audience AU24 Power Cables, Audioquest Wild (Custom) S/PDIF to AES/EBU, CEC TL3N CD Transport.
(13-Feb-2015, 21:32)tortolita Wrote: I'm hoping that someone might be able to suggest the correct settings for a Lyra Kleos pickup. I'm completely defeated in trying to understand what the correct settings should be. Any help will be most sincerely and gratefully appreciated.

Hi there tortolita,

Below is the given spec for the Lyra Kleos. So you will need to go into the Dev Configurator and set up your phono input as:

MC
Stereo
Max Level - 500 microvolts (0.5millivolts)
Loading - I would suggest "high" ohms and 0pf

In Advanced settings: set auto wi fi ON (if you leave it at OFF, you get an annoying clicking noise!), set your RIAA option (I use 1953, but that's just my preference), leave sampling rate at 96khz (though you can always play with this setting at your leisure, but the Dev recommended setting is 96khz).

Hope this helps.

David

Specifications
Type: Moving Coil, coil and flux field centered design
Output Voltage: 0.5mV
Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 50 kHz
Channel Separation: >35dB
Diamond Stylus: 3x75µm Lyra designed Ogura long footprint Line Contact
Overhang Alignment: 0.12mm Locator Hole Precisely Aligned over Stylus Tip
Magnet(s): Dual disk neodymium
Coil Former: 5N iron core & 6N copper coils
Cantilever: 0.3mm Diameter Ogura Solid Boron Rod
Tracking Force: 1.7 - 1.8 grams (1.75 Optimum)
Dynamic Compliance: 12 x 10-6 cm/dyn
Internal Impedance: 5.4 Ohms
Inductance: 9.0 uH
Recommended Impedance: 91 - 47kOhms
Weight: 8.8 grams 
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Thank you very much, Sir. Have used these settings and it all sounds just superb. Again, Thank you.
Devialet 400, Wilson Sophia 2, VPI Super Scoutmaster with SDS and 3D tonearm, Lyra Kleos, Audience AU24SE Low Z tonearm cable, Kubala Sosna Emotion Speaker Cables, Audience AU24 Power Cables, Audioquest Wild (Custom) S/PDIF to AES/EBU, CEC TL3N CD Transport.
(13-Feb-2015, 23:32)tortolita Wrote: Thank you very much, Sir. Have used these settings and it all sounds just superb. Again, Thank you.

You are more than welcome, enjoy your music.

David 
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Anyone using a Brinkmann EMT and if so what settings do you use? The EMT Ti output is 21mV and recommended load is 600 Ohms.
(24-Feb-2015, 11:56)DDstereo Wrote: Anyone using a Brinkmann EMT and if so what settings do you use? The EMT Ti output is 21mV and recommended load is 600 Ohms.

Hi,

The Brinkmann is basically an EMT TSD-15N with a different cantilever and stylus profile (I believe). The 0.21mV output is referenced to 1cm/s so it is actually 1.05mV/5cm/s (the normal value quoted by other manufacturers). I would set the values to 1100-1200uV in the configurator. Try the 460 Ohms impedance first, this should be fine as most moving coils like to 'see' 10x the internal DC resistance (EMT = 24Ohms) so as long as you've got more than 200 Ohms you should be OK (Even 100 Ohms should be fine as RoKsan always recommended 100 Ohms for the Shiraz which also had the same EMT generator). Try 100 -> high and see what you like the sound of.

I've always loved EMT's.

Dave
(24-Feb-2015, 19:02)daved0x01 Wrote:
(24-Feb-2015, 11:56)DDstereo Wrote: Anyone using a Brinkmann EMT and if so what settings do you use? The EMT Ti output is 21mV and recommended load is 600 Ohms.

Hi,

The Brinkmann is basically an EMT TSD-15N with a different cantilever and stylus profile (I believe). The 0.21mV output is referenced to 1cm/s so it is actually 1.05mV/5cm/s (the normal value quoted by other manufacturers). I would set the values to 1100-1200uV in the configurator. Try the 460 Ohms impedance first, this should be fine as most moving coils like to 'see' 10x the internal DC resistance (EMT = 24Ohms) so as long as you've got more than 200 Ohms you should be OK (Even 100 Ohms should be fine as RoKsan always recommended 100 Ohms for the Shiraz which also had the same EMT generator). Try 100 -> high and see what you like the sound of.

I've always loved EMT's.

Dave

I owned the Brinkmann Bardo turntable + EMT TSD15 SFL moving-coil cart for about 1.5 years and never really liked the sound/results with solid state equipment.  Then I had a chance to try it on a friend's all-tube system and it sounded really great especially via a step-up transformer (SUT).  Even with the SUT in my solid state system, I still couldn't get the same results.

I tried explaining this to my dealer (several times) but he was extremely stubborn about the situation and got really insulted when I brought up the idea of replacing the EMT cart with either a Dynavector XX-2 MKII or an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. 

Long story short, I got so pissed about not being satisfied with my investment and my dealer not backing me up that I sold off the turntable to my buddy with the all-tube system.

I now own a Rega RP10 with Rega Apheta 2 moving-coil cart and couldn't be happier.  It's a really nice/balanced setup and I'm not missing anything when listening to my vinyl collection.  Don't be fooled by its simple looks or simple setup, the Rega RP10 is a truly remarkable turntable!         
Good afternoon, all. I am a brand new--and totally delighted--owner of a Devialet 200, and I am in the process of working on settings and so forth, as well as auditioning power cords, USB cables, and phono cables. I am finding the Devialet to be very responsive to cable changes, which is fun!

I have a Dynavector XV 1s cartridge and would appreciate suggestions for optimal settings in the configurator for my cartridge.

This forum is a wonderful resource and place to share for Devialet owners. I look forward to contributing once I have something worthwhile to share.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
Hello!

I don't have a Dynavector XV-1s so can't claim to know what will definitely work best, but here's how I'd start out:

The user manual describes it as a low-output moving coil cartridge, so set the Cartridge Type to MC.  The output voltage is 0.3 mV at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec so I'd try setting the maximum output level to 500 μVRMS.  The recommended load is "more than 30 ohms" so 100 should be reasonable.  There's no suggested capacitance loading so I'd probably pick something in the middle of the range - perhaps 300 pF.

Think of those as starting points for experimentation: you'll probably be able to "tune" the sound of the cartridge a bit by adjusting the R/C loading (as noted in this post on Audiogon, for example).  If you have the cartridge set up "just so" with an existing phono preamp, perhaps you can use the loading values closest to what that uses.  Also, it's better to err on the generous side for the maximum output level -- that is, use higher rather than lower values -- to avoid the possibility of clipping.

In the Advanced settings, I'd suggest enabling the Auto Wi-Fi Standby option: that disables the wi-fi interface in the Devialet when the phono input is selected.  If the wi-fi interface is enabled you might otherwise hear a very quiet periodic "tick" in one channel.  The RIAA curve and sampling rate are a matter of taste, but the consensus seems to be that the defaults (1976 RIAA curve and 96 kHz sampling) are preferred.

Hope that helps, apologies in advance if I'm in grandmother/eggs territory, and please update the thread to let everyone know what you find works best.

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Conventionally it is not recommended to add capacitance for MC cartridges but use it to tune the hf resonance of MMs.
The tuning of MCs is more normally done by adjusting the load impedance, higher impedance doesn't damp the high end resonance much, lower damps it more. My normal preference is usually around 10x the generator impedance, though I prefer even more using a matched step-up transformer into the MM input Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire