Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classic Phantom White not working reliably after upgrade
I posted in another thread regarding this issue, but here it is again:

There are obvious issues with speakers that have Toslink connections. What happens is the that the Toslink device sometimes sends a random signal even if not transmitting data and thus, creates a false call for the speaker to switch inputs. We (Devialet and I) confirmed this in the prior release which is why they introduced a Optical autoswitch in the app. That switch is still present. I have the autoswitch turned off and manually switch.

I'm guessing with this latest release, there is an issue when switching between sources, the speaker(s) get hung up and stop operating. The reset (power cycle or button push on back of speaker) resets them temporarily to work, but the minute the Toslink signal comes into play, they crash again. - just my guess, but I've been dealing with this in the prior release as mentioned earlier.

This seems to resolve the issue. I just tested it extensively switching back from three different sources:

CableTV: via Toslink
AppleTV: via AirPlay2
Roon: via Ethernet

Setup: 2 Phantom Golds (stereo pair) both connected to ethernet cables (both running to the same switch) and both plugged into the same power supply. No wifi connections to speakers; everything via Ethernet or Toslink.

Update: speakers still crash. Paused them and unpaused and they are unresponsive and then reboot.
I am in a similar boat with my pair of golds which experienced one or the other speaker working at 70% volume and no way to turn it down accept by taking the speaker off line.  A ticket has been filed and it’s receipt acknowledged.

I will try and rollback tonight if needed. I think between tos links, mesh networks, and the handshakes between various equipment and software that a seamless upgrade experience was too much to ask.

Update:  I did nothing, but when I came home the speakers were working.  Remains to be seen if they are stable etc., but for now all is good. I
(03-Feb-2021, 20:01)bravocharlie Wrote: I posted in another thread regarding this issue, but here it is again:

There are obvious issues with speakers that have Toslink connections. What happens is the that the Toslink device sometimes sends a random signal even if not transmitting data and thus, creates a false call for the speaker to switch inputs. We (Devialet and I) confirmed this in the prior release which is why they introduced a Optical autoswitch in the app. That switch is still present. I have the autoswitch turned off and manually switch.

I'm guessing with this latest release, there is an issue when switching between sources, the speaker(s) get hung up and stop operating. The reset (power cycle or button push on back of speaker) resets them temporarily to work, but the minute the Toslink signal comes into play, they crash again. - just my guess, but I've been dealing with this in the prior release as mentioned earlier.

This seems to resolve the issue. I just tested it extensively switching back from three different sources:

CableTV: via Toslink
AppleTV: via AirPlay2
Roon: via Ethernet

Setup: 2 Phantom Golds (stereo pair) both connected to ethernet cables (both running to the same switch) and both plugged into the same power supply. No wifi connections to speakers; everything via Ethernet or Toslink.

Update: speakers still crash. Paused them and unpaused and they are unresponsive and then reboot.
The latest from Devialet:

At the moment, I have a few clients who are facing the exact issue as you. We are doing research on this issue and are seeking of solution from our software team.
I will update you once I have any news.

I like how he says: "a few". I seriously doubt that. I also wonder how this software/firmware gets released without a proper beta test. This is the second release that has been buggy and created havoc. You really have to start to wonder what is going on in France at this point. Well funded, great product, poor customer service (days for resolution), poor execution, horrible website for support, and extremely poor communication on all fronts. App and firmware released without ANY mention on the support portion of the website. Really? That came AFTER it was released almost a day later. You also really have to wonder at this point if management knows what's going on in the trenches or this information is withheld and they're operating in some sort of French Utopia that everything is just wonderful. Its not; especially for a premium brand (supposedly).
I also opened a trouble ticket with them and looks like they are aware of the issue and provided them the logs through email. Hope they get enough information from everyone to quickly troubleshoot this issue. As of now I am on the older firmware and quite happy.

Btw, I do not have any Toslink or ethernet connection. My device simply has powercord and connected wireless (bluetooth & wifi) to a single iphone. Since I do not own multiple devices, I am kind of ok to stay with Airplay.

My device is very close to the wifi router, if that matters (not sure if high signal strength causes AGC issues in the wifi causing some issues) - in case devialet folks are reading this board :-)
(05-Feb-2021, 02:19)bravocharlie Wrote: The latest from Devialet:

At the moment, I have a few clients who are facing the exact issue as you. We are doing research on this issue and are seeking of solution from our software team.

I like how he says: "a few". I seriously doubt that. I also wonder how this software/firmware gets released without a proper beta test. This is the second release that has been buggy and created havoc. You really have to start to wonder what is going on in France at this point. Well funded, great product, poor customer service (days for resolution), poor execution, horrible website for support, and extremely poor communication on all fronts. App and firmware released without ANY mention on the support portion of the website. Really? That came AFTER it was released almost a day later. You also really have to wonder at this point if management knows what's going on in the trenches or this information is withheld and they're operating in some sort of French Utopia that everything is just wonderful. Its not; especially for a premium brand (supposedly).

I’m not French but live in France. Of course when I look at the Apple website I wonder very similarly. What goes on in the USA? Is this a sort of North American Utopia? No replies from Apple for weeks, sometimes months.... comparisons aside and more seriously, beta testing can only do little when the offer relies on an external infrastructure, networks, phones, PCs, etc. Computer Audio is fragile and a SME like Devialet can only handle part of the chain. I do not want to defend them, but it has probably little to do with French or France. I’m not aware of any country that masters the digital world and delivers bug-free software. Only look at all the national COVID apps and how bugfree they are.
(05-Feb-2021, 18:40)streamy Wrote:
(05-Feb-2021, 02:19)bravocharlie Wrote: The latest from Devialet:

I’m not French but live in France. Of course when I look at the Apple website I wonder very similarly. What goes on in the USA? Is this a sort of North American Utopia? No replies from Apple for weeks, sometimes months.... comparisons aside and more seriously, beta testing can only do little when the offer relies on an external infrastructure, networks, phones, PCs, etc. Computer Audio is fragile and a SME like Devialet can only handle part of the chain. I do not want to defend them, but it has probably little to do with French or France. I’m not aware of any country that masters the digital world and delivers bug-free software. Only look at all the national COVID apps and how bugfree they are.

My Devialet Gold Phantom de Paris stereo system is around $10,000. It’s been fully down for 4 days now. I have never owned a product from any company ever which was put out of commission like this. Not Apple, not any cars I’ve owned, etc. Sure, there’s some glitches, or an occasional repair, but nothing ever when a company 100% brickwalls it. So please, no excuses. These are very expensive products. One single firmware update and now I have a $10,000 paperweight.
There’s something up with the phase and balance now for me. The soundstage sounds completely wrong and there’s an issue with the phase. The sound is focused on one of the speakers ( left for me) not unlike the issue a few months ago when DOS 2 was released. Anyone else have this problem?
(05-Feb-2021, 19:40)ARandomMan Wrote: There’s something up with the phase and balance now for me. The soundstage sounds completely wrong and there’s an issue with the phase. The sound is focused on one of the speakers ( left for me) not unlike the issue a few months ago when DOS 2 was released. Anyone else have this problem?

Hard reset it, it will fix it. I also had a similar issue. What a hard reset will not fix is the complete lockup when switching sources.
(05-Feb-2021, 19:51)invictus005 Wrote:
(05-Feb-2021, 19:40)ARandomMan Wrote: There’s something up with the phase and balance now for me. The soundstage sounds completely wrong and there’s an issue with the phase. The sound is focused on one of the speakers ( left for me) not unlike the issue a few months ago when DOS 2 was released. Anyone else have this problem?

Hard reset it, it will fix it. I also had a similar issue. What a hard reset will not fix is the complete lockup when switching sources.

Didn’t work for me Sad
When it happens, I’ve noticed that if I go into my stereo pair setting and press the Left speaker for me the left speaker completely stops working after this, buttons on speaker = useless, controlling the speaker via app = useless. Only my right one works. Only way to fix this I’ve found is by turning the speakers on and off at the plug.
(05-Feb-2021, 20:14)ARandomMan Wrote:
(05-Feb-2021, 19:51)invictus005 Wrote:

Didn’t work for me Sad
When it happens, I’ve noticed that if I go into my stereo pair setting and press the Left speaker for me the left speaker completely stops working after this, buttons on speaker = useless, controlling the speaker via app = useless. Only my right one works. Only way to fix this I’ve found is by turning the speakers on and off at the plug.

Well yeah, it locks up if you try to switch sources. It’s been 4 days and no fix.