Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DPM is Great!
Could a dual mono setup perhaps be what was behind DPM? The second unit is always on, so it gets warm all the time, from what I remember from owning a D400/D500. Maybe there is enough power reserve with mono vs stereo?
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
It's not warm if you use the trigger cable.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(11-May-2023, 02:06)Redwingnine Wrote: Could a dual mono setup perhaps be what was behind DPM?  The second unit is always on, so it gets warm all the time, from what I remember from owning a D400/D500.  Maybe there is enough power reserve with mono vs stereo?

I am using a dual-mono setup and it still sounds better (more at ease and smoother) with DPM off. The difference is more noticeable in things like movies and dramatic orchestral music.

In my dual-mono setup, I do not use the trigger cable and the 2nd unit is slightly warmer in standby, but not excessively so.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
Interesting. So, if the trigger cable is connected between the two, the slave is not on?

Anybody run with the units stacked, one on top of the other?
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

It's on, but in SBY, just as the master.

Don't stack them. They will overheat. Especially with DPM off and SAM on.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(11-May-2023, 13:58)Delija Wrote: It's on, but in SBY, just as the master.

Don't stack them. They will overheat. Especially with DPM off and SAM on.

OK.  Thanks for the feedback.

(12-Aug-2021, 18:07)AdamEOS Wrote: My son and I were listening to some music yesterday evening. Listening levels range from moderate / medium earlier in the evening to quiet later at night.

Preference has been to de-select DPM. SAM generally remains selected although sometimes it is off. On initial selection, DPM seems to affect resolution, and that is why I have always de-selected it. 

Last night, we decided to turn DPM on. Initially, that same impression of slightly less resolution was apparent, but as we proceeded to listen, the sound changed, getting better and better as we listened.

After one hour, we were both in agreement that what we were hearing was just fabulous; better than without DPM. With much listening the 220 sometimes seems to be wonting for a wee bit more lower mid-range bloom, a fuller soundstage that is provided by other very high quality amps. With all technologies engaged and warmed up (SAM 100% DPM on), what we heard last night eliminated any shortcomings. The sound became so effortlessly powerful, natural, room-filling, dense, fully resolved, and so engaging. The soundstage was vast with speakers ‘disappeared’. What a wonderful time we had, drinking chai / tea and listening to great music together.

The area that we perceived big improvement is lower mid and bass. The sense of ease and real presence with which the Magico S3s delivered this huge sound was so surprising. Just phenomenal.

Give DPM an extended try over several hours. And if you have profiled speakers, with SAM on at 100%. Give it a chance to warm up and get going.

When I first read this, thought that DPM ON wouldn't actually sound better.  In the past, when I had Expert 400, DPM OFF was always better, IMHO. 

However, I have to re-evaluate after some extended listening with the Expert Pro 1000.  With DPM OFF, the sound would get to be rather hard sounding when the volume was set to a moderate level during transients.   The sound was clear, more so than when a single 250 was used, but still a bit hard sounding.  This is most noticeable with non classical recordings, not so much with symphonies.  

Remembering this thread, along with another thread where there was a post stating they preferred the 440 Pro over 1000 Pro, decided to try DPM ON with the 1000 Pro.  To my surprise, the hard sound when transients occurred mostly disappeared.  The playback sounded excellent.  The increased clarity with loud transients was still there, but without the transients having the hard edge on sound when DPM was ON.  Further investigation uncovered the fact that this was recording dependent.  

The increased power is a bit of two edged sword, in that whilst some recordings surely benefit from the increased power available, others just expose the fact that the recording wasn't very good to start with. Try both settings, and use whatever works best for your system.