Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DPM is Great!
My son and I were listening to some music yesterday evening. Listening levels range from moderate / medium earlier in the evening to quiet later at night.

Preference has been to de-select DPM. SAM generally remains selected although sometimes it is off. On initial selection, DPM seems to affect resolution, and that is why I have always de-selected it. 

Last night, we decided to turn DPM on. Initially, that same impression of slighty less resolution was apparent, but as we proceeded to listen, the sound changed, getting better and better as we listened.

After one hour, we were both in agreement that what we were hearing was just fabulous; better than without DPM. With much listening the 220 sometimes seems to be wonting for a wee bit more lower mid-range bloom, a fuller soundstage that is provided by other very high quality amps. With all technologies engaged and warmed up (SAM 100% DPM on), what we heard last night eliminated any shortcomings. The sound became so effortlessly powerful, natural, room-filling, dense, fully resolved, and so engaging. The soundstage was vast with speakers ‘disappeared’. What a wonderful time we had, drinking chai / tea and listening to great music together.

The area that we perceived big improvement is lower mid and bass. The sense of ease and real presence with which the Magico S3s delivered this huge sound was so surprising. Just phenomenal.

Give DPM an extended try over several hours. And if you have profiled speakers, with SAM on at 100%. Give it a chance to warm up and get going.
Are you serious? To wait several hours until we start listening to the music? Big Grin

Yes, Devialet needs some time to warm-up and to reach its full potential. Without DPM this time is shorter - certainly much less than "several hours".

BTW, I don't see how SAM 100% could be any good...
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(12-Aug-2021, 18:52)Delija Wrote: Are you serious? To wait several hours until we start listening to the music? Big Grin

Yes, Devialet needs some time to warm-up and to reach its full potential. Without DPM this time is shorter - certainly much less than "several hours".

BTW, I don't see how SAM 100% could be any good...
Hi Delija,

Thanks for the reply.

LoL! Music now. I am the same.

What I am getting at is that the sound improves over the course of hours. It could be me hallucinating yes ; ). But I have listened to this 220 driving the speakers for around a year now and with my son tried different iterations, including pre-out to external amp, SAM and DPM on and off. Different cords and conditioners. Point is I know the sound very well now.

The speakers are ‘sealed box’ and are pulled out from the front wall by several feet. SAM st 100% would be too much if the speakers were say only 2 feet from the front wall. I am now considering that DPM is key to SAM working to best effect? If one thinks about it, this is essentially an all-digital solution. The notion that DPM somehow puts a barrier to the best resolution doesn’t make sense. 

Also of note, the sound with DPM engaged really blossoms as the volume level is increased.
I should amend that statement on ‘all-digital’ to clarify Class-D as part of the amplification. The best Class-D amps, or any amps for that matter, don’t just use plain ‘raw’ audio circuits. The engineers use their skills and talent to take advantage of the latest technology to shape / control the sound of those circuits, including chips, signal path, noise and power management what have you. I’ve hear many Class D amps (I owned NuForce Reference 9SE amps and a Spectron Musician amp a long time ago). Class D can sound too dry and lacking in bloom, air and expressiveness - which absolutely does not apply to Devialet’s innovative all in one approach to DAC/pre/amp.

The 220 has surely been tuned with DPM, otherwise why would be on by default. Similarly the top-class engineering team worked with the best measuring tools to develop SAM. Why not benefit from all of this technology is my point.
One more point. Don’t look look for high frequency etched detail at first. For a start that doesn’t sound natural at higher volumes and is fatiguing. Instead listen for the change in mid bass, bass presence, bloom and size of soundstage. As the ears adjust, the sound gets better and better. Just my tupence ha’penny
(12-Aug-2021, 22:28)AdamEOS Wrote: One more point. Don’t look look for high frequency etched detail at first. For a start that doesn’t sound natural at higher volumes and is fatiguing. Instead listen for the change in mid bass, bass presence, bloom and size of soundstage. As the ears adjust, the sound gets better and better. Just my tupence ha’penny

I am in full agreement with you that after about an hour, midbass articulation and bloom, pinpoint imaging and the swell of the soundstage with voluptuous dynamics is what I get every late evening I sit down with my 440-Pro. In my case, SAM and DPM are OFF. Well recorded classical music is a 'real treat' !!
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(13-Aug-2021, 16:50)audio_engr Wrote:
(12-Aug-2021, 22:28)AdamEOS Wrote: One more point. Don’t look look for high frequency etched detail at first. For a start that doesn’t sound natural at higher volumes and is fatiguing. Instead listen for the change in mid bass, bass presence, bloom and size of soundstage. As the ears adjust, the sound gets better and better. Just my tupence ha’penny

I am in full agreement with you that after about an hour, midbass articulation and bloom, pinpoint imaging and the swell of the soundstage with voluptuous dynamics is what I get every late evening I sit down with my 440-Pro. In my case, SAM and DPM are OFF. Well recorded classical music is a 'real treat' !!

I sometimes wonder whether that's just the drivers in the speakers loosening up.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Well if you really would like to make a considerable improvements all areas of bass, soundstage etc. just borrow an Audioquest Niagara 3000 or 5000 with Thunder cables and experience of what this Devialet is capable of. I made a really long journey since the very first days of Devialet and this is what had the biggest impact, improvement.
MUCH bigger improvement is to upgrade your speakers, amp or even better - room acoustics.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

My preference is no DPM. And never to turn off the amp. The warmer, the better in my setup.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)