Poll: Are you considering a Dac-less streamer for your Devialet?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No - I'm happy with AIR or other computer-based solution
29.03%
54 29.03%
No - I already own one
38.71%
72 38.71%
Yes!
32.26%
60 32.26%
Total 186 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dac-less streamer survey!
How many of us are currently considering a Dac-less streamer for our Devialet?
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Now if only someone would host a bake-off of streamers ...

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
I am unconvinced by streaming solutions for classical music since it has been such a faff tag so that I can find what I want to listen to and then have it play the movements in the order I want.
Not worth the waste of listening time to me, so since CD and LP are my main sources now a computer is fine for streaming the odd high res download and my legacy rips built up over the years I was always travelling.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I ticked 'no I already own one' when I really meant 'yes, but I already own one'. Derrr.
(24-Feb-2015, 21:52)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I ticked 'no I already own one' when I really meant 'yes, but I already own one'. Derrr.

Me too.
(24-Feb-2015, 21:12)f1eng Wrote: I am unconvinced by streaming solutions for classical music since it has been such a faff tag so that I can find what I want to listen to and then have it play the movements in the order I want.
Not worth the waste of listening time to me, so since CD and LP are my main sources now a computer is fine for streaming the odd high res download and my legacy rips built up over the years I was always travelling.

Tell me about it! I've just ripped a 27-CD boxed set of Rameau's operas. Nightmare. And I don't even like Rameau.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(24-Feb-2015, 21:12)f1eng Wrote: I am unconvinced by streaming solutions for classical music since it has been such a faff tag so that I can find what I want to listen to and then have it play the movements in the order I want.

I am also a classical music listener with a large collection of CDs which I have digitized.  I now almost entirely purchase digital downloads - although the occasional CD box set bargain entices me (which then I proceed to rip!)

The key issue in ripping or downloading classical music for systems designed for pop, is to ensure that you are consistent in your naming conventions for albums and composers names (is it Bach, JS Bach or Bach JS - in my case it is Bach JS to distinguish from Bach CPE etc).  I always name albums by composers surname, followed by name of major work, I delete any punctuation marks.   As this implies, it require a bit of intervention to make this happen as you rip or download the music.   With box sets, you need to ensure that the disc number is correctly identified in the metadata or append the disc number to the title.  With "artist" based boxed sets, you need to make a decision whether you want to give priority to the artist or to the work

I have used a variety of music software - such as iTunes, JRivers, even Windows Music player - all will play complete albums - with movements in proper order etc.  You do get the problems you describe, when using other file access software not specifically designed for music playback.

The advantage of digital music is the total ease of access.  I am now listening far more widely than when I was accessing the physical CDs (and yes I did have them properly catalogued).
For Now, I Responded No, good with AIR_ETH options, and in bit-perfect mode enabled. Play from iTunes.

I might change my mind after 6-8 months. This is because, I truly believe the digital streamer (DAC Less for sure) should not cost the way they cost. I m still not convinced Dialog would be good solution yet however the AIR streamer inside Devialet is all set, all it needs is a good app to manage and directly read from the NAS Driver,HDD. Devialet knows this, needs to be seen what they would do.

anyways thats my thought.

Maintaining a list of Network Players captured from this forum (not in any order). i would like to remove the one with DAC. I may change my mind and go with BDP-1/2 or NAD M50 or the one which comes with good app for Iphone, Ipad, Macbooks.
Totaldac D1
Aurender X100
Bryston BDP-1/2
Aria steamer
Aria mini
Antipodes DX, DV
Melco N1A
NAD M50
3D Lab Nano Transport
Pioneer N-70 streamer
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
(25-Feb-2015, 05:54)Jnan_devi Wrote: For Now, I Responded No, good with AIR_ETH options, and in bit-perfect mode enabled. Play from iTunes.

I might change my mind after 6-8 months. This is because, I truly believe the digital streamer (DAC Less for sure) should not cost the way they cost. I m still not convinced Dialog would be good solution yet however the AIR streamer inside Devialet is all set, all it needs is a good app to manage and directly read from the NAS Driver,HDD. Devialet knows this, needs to be seen what they would do.

anyways thats my thought.

Maintaining a list of Network Players captured from this forum (not in any order). i would like to remove the one with DAC. I may change my mind and go with BDP-1/2 or NAD M50 or the one which comes with good app for Iphone, Ipad, Macbooks.
Totaldac D1
Aurender X100
Bryston BDP-1/2
Aria steamer
Aria mini
Antipodes DX, DV
Melco N1A
NAD M50
3D Lab Nano Transport
Pioneer N-70 streamer

To that I would add

- Auralic Aries
- Aurender N
- Denon DNP
- Yamaha NP
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
I answered that I'm happy with air, but if Dialog turns out to be a nice solution allowing me to keep my computers outside of the the path, I may be tempted.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France