Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Dialog not compatible with expert line until mid 2015
Well go and buy something else then

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(11-Jun-2015, 22:44)NickB Wrote: Well go and buy something else then

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What is your problem with the reality ? I like honest people.
Another month has passed by - any news if this is gonna happen in 2015 or anytime soon?
Unfortunately it's really very disappointing to see that actually a promising piece of hardware is being introduced to the market and it turns out to be missing the appropriate software for a month :-(
Thought the revised target is 2016?
(17-Jul-2015, 05:55)markush Wrote: Another month has passed by - any news if this is gonna happen in 2015 or anytime soon?
Unfortunately it's really very disappointing to see that actually a promising piece of hardware is being introduced to the market and it turns out to be missing the  appropriate software for a month :-(
I was actually discussing this very subject with Devialet's Mathieu Pernod at the Oxford Audio Phantom launch this Wednesday.  He was not too specific with respect to an actual date, but did say that they were looking at 2016.  A while back I sent a fairly blunt query to Devialet support and got the answer "by Christmas".  Thinking about it, I don't think they said which year's Christmas!  Although I guess were are looking at first quarter 2016 now.  As markush says above, this is indeed a little disappointing.  In discussions with Mathieu I did ask the obvious question of why such a simple thing was taking so long, interestingly he was very clear that Expert / USB integration was not simple, stating that the software side of things was actually very complex.  So as with many things Devialet, the hardware arrives and is very impressive, the software side is a little hit and miss and in this case a little slow in implementation.

We also discussed the implementation of surround sound in the Dialog, I was interested if it was possible to have a set up with the "Expert" amp(s) on front channel duties, integrated by Dialog with Phantoms for centre and rear speakers, which would be quite a neat set up.  A bit of  good news and bad news one this, the good news is that yes, this will be possible and is indeed planned for implementation.  The biggest technical and software challenges being getting the lip sync and timing issues right.  The bad news is that this will probably be for anything up to Dolby Digital only.  So no Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio.  Why not?  Licencing / cost issues, rather than technical restrictions apparently.

So everybody....   Enjoy the summer, forget about Dialog for now, something to look forward to in the winter .....

As a final positive note, based on what I saw at the Phantom demonstration, Spark and Dialog appears to be working reasonably well now.

(Anyone taking bets on Dialog with Expert implementation for Munich 2016?)
I wonder if it would been easier to implement upnp at the experts systems directly. Devialet always said the expert is a very power computer in itself.
(17-Jul-2015, 07:51)warpeon Wrote: I wonder if it would been easier to implement upnp at the experts systems directly. Devialet always said the expert is a very power computer in itself.

Maybe, but one issue Mathieu was very clear on, the issue is not so much hardware, but it is the software side of things that is the big challenge.  It's just possible I guess, that when they get the software for the Dialog, they might be able to crack this one for the Expert as well?  Is this possible?
Dialog for Expert has apparently slipped into 2016. From Devialet support today: "It is not possible for the Expert range at the moment to play offline Tidal music from the mobile app. It will be next year, when Dialog (our tool including the Tidal software) will be compatible with the Expert line."
if the iOS app supports AirPlay, then if you have an aTV or an airport extreme or express you can connect it to the Dev via optical and probably could play offline Tidal music this way.

Not ideal but a workaround.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(17-Jul-2015, 10:01)Jean-Marie Wrote: if the iOS app supports AirPlay, then if you have an aTV or an airport extreme or express you can connect it to the Dev via optical and probably could play offline Tidal music this way.

Not ideal but a workaround.

@Jean-Marie... Agreed. On another thread here, others confirm the Tidal app supports Airplay and works great to Expert with AppleTV. Agreed Airport Extreme should work the same way.