Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Dialog not compatible with expert line until mid 2015
Postponing to 2016 really hurts - especially since this is an essential feature for quite many. And even Devialet itself raised expectations when introducing this to the market.
Time to perhaps get that Auralic Aries Mini after all then...
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
Wireworld digital and power cables / Harmonix tuning feet / SMT acoustic 
treatment
- SWEDEN -
I'm genuinely curious - why do people cling onto it working with the Expert line when it was made for Phantoms and there are other really good viable options out there right now, and by manufacturers that can actually deliver a product and know how to write software?

Knowing Devialet and their software abilities, it's most likely to not work properly when it's 'officially' launched for the Expert line, and no doubt be a right pain to use. Are there features Devialet have alluded to that are unique?

All I've heard anyone say about Dialogue is its a small plastic box that overheats and runs an appalling piece of software called Spark. I just can't see why anyone would desperately want to attach it to their system if they weren't forced to like poor Phantom users.

Oh, and by the way, a friend of a friend said he'd heard 2017 now, and that they're scrapping it for a Dialogue2 which will only be compatible with the new expert line scheduled for release in 2018-2019  Big Grin

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(20-Aug-2015, 08:10)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I'm genuinely curious - why do people cling onto it working with the Expert line when it was made for Phantoms and there are other really good viable options out there right now, and by manufacturers that can actually deliver a product and know how to write software?

Knowing Devialet and their software abilities, it's most likely to not work properly when it's 'officially' launched for the Expert line, and no doubt be a right pain to use. Are there features Devialet have alluded to that are unique?

All I've heard anyone say about Dialogue is its a small plastic box that overheats and runs an appalling piece of software called Spark. I just can't see why anyone would desperately want to attach it to their system if they weren't forced to like poor Phantom users.

You raise some very valid points. There is a huge range of options out there from the Raspberry Pi all the way up to the venerable Melco N1Z! Even a Cubox will set you back £135.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(20-Aug-2015, 11:32)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(20-Aug-2015, 08:10)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I'm genuinely curious - why do people cling onto it working with the Expert line when it was made for Phantoms and there are other really good viable options out there right now, and by manufacturers that can actually deliver a product and know how to write software?

You raise some very valid points. There is a huge range of options out there from the Raspberry Pi all the way up to the venerable Melco N1Z! Even a Cubox will set you back £135.

Guillaume
Some fellow Devialetchatters have already bought a Dialog box in the hopes of using it with their expert line amp... They bought it on a promise from Devialet that it will be working with the amp "shortly"...
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(20-Aug-2015, 11:45)Eddye Wrote: Some fellow Devialetchatters have already bought a Dialog box in the hopes of using it with their expert line amp... They bought it on a promise from Devialet that it will be working with the amp "shortly"...

That's also understandable. Having said that I also bought one and cancelled my order just before it was delivered.

As f1eng has already stated, the Dialog was not designed for use with the Expert line and therefore is unlikely to satisfy Expert users.

I think it's possible that we will see Devialet update the wifi board in the Expert range to accommodate the Dialog/Spark system, therefore negating the need to connect the Dialog to the Expert via USB. Whether it will sound as good as AIR, who knows?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(20-Aug-2015, 11:55)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(20-Aug-2015, 11:45)Eddye Wrote: Some fellow Devialetchatters have already bought a Dialog box in the hopes of using it with their expert line amp... They bought it on a promise from Devialet that it will be working with the amp "shortly"...

That's also understandable. Having said that I also bought one and cancelled my order just before it was delivered.

As f1eng has already stated, the Dialog was not designed for use with the Expert line and therefore is unlikely to satisfy Expert users.

I think it's possible that we will see Devialet update the wifi board in the Expert range to accommodate the Dialog/Spark system, therefore negating the need to connect the Dialog to the Expert via USB. Whether it will sound as good as AIR, who knows?

Guillaume

I cancelled my order too. However Devialet did publish this on their site: "DIALOG is ready for PHANTOM and will come mid-2015 to DEVIALET EXPERT amplifiers." So perhaps it's not designed for the expert line, working with the expert line was definitely stated as a function of the Dialog box. Though I'm extremely happy with my Aurender I still hope Devialet will do something to correct this soon.

I doubt Devialet will offer an updated Wifi board in this generation of Expert amps. I'm thinking they'll announce a new expert line next summer at the latest.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
I think memories are fading here a little.....

Back in December, when DIALOG was first announced, Devialet stated that is was compatible with the expert range via USB. No mention of "soon" or anything else.

In January, Devialet started taking orders via the rather silly invitation code system. I think it was March when they then announced the "mid 2015" date for Expert compatibility. I remember joking at the time that in Devialet speak "mid 2015" probably means Christmas, although with hindsight, this was actually rather optimistic.

If you check the original white paper for the DIALOG, it states "USB Asynchronous audio output for the Expert product line". So although it may have been designed specifically for the Phantom, Expert range compatibility was a stated design feature from day 1.

One thing that puzzles me. Guillaume mentioned good results can be achieved with a Cubox, Rasperry Pi etc. This is indeed true, so how hard can it be to get a DIALOG to output via USB. What's so damn difficult that it takes 12 months to achieve?? Unfathomable!
(20-Aug-2015, 12:49)Confused Wrote: I think memories are fading here a little.....

Back in December, when DIALOG was first announced, Devialet stated that is was compatible with the expert range via USB.  No mention of "soon" or anything else.

In January, Devialet started taking orders via the rather silly invitation code system.  I think it was March when they then announced the "mid 2015" date for Expert compatibility.  I remember joking at the time that in Devialet speak "mid 2015" probably means Christmas, although with hindsight, this was actually rather optimistic.

If you check the original white paper for the DIALOG, it states "USB Asynchronous audio output for the Expert product line".  So although it may have been designed specifically for the Phantom, Expert range compatibility was a stated design feature from day 1.

One thing that puzzles me.  Guillaume mentioned good results can be achieved with a Cubox, Rasperry Pi etc.  This is indeed true, so how hard can it be to get a DIALOG to output via USB.  What's so damn difficult that it takes 12 months to achieve??  Unfathomable!

Your memory on this is quite correct - I, amongst a number of others (naively it would now appear), ordered Dialogues on that understanding. Mine is still in cupboard gathering dust Rolleyes. It would totally p**s me off if Devialet introduced a Dialogue 2 for use with Expert range - Not too sure a refund would be forthcoming after this time, if that were to be the case  Angry.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(20-Aug-2015, 13:21)brit Wrote: ….It would totally p**s me off if Devialet introduced a Dialogue 2 for use with Expert range - Not too sure a refund would be forthcoming after this time, if that were to be the case  Angry.

Just to clarify before I make anyone even more upset about their Dialogue's - I was joking there (I thought the smiley was enough to cover it)…. but I can completely see that being the case…

It would be relatively simple (but not trivial) to get two pieces of kit they designed to talk to one and other - not least since one would have to assume they designed them with that in mind - so the reality is they've probably got no-one really looking at it.

Seeing how the Phantom release was a bit of a shambles (unfinished software, buggy firmware, no remote, no stands), I can only imagine all resources are focussed there because let's be honest they need that to succeed, and if they sell them by the shedload and people are unhappy because they don't do what they should, the Expert Line's going to be the least of their worries…. it could finish them off.

If I'd bought one on the basis that they said it would be compatible, I would have been pretty pissed off and sent it back by now and just asked for a refund. It's clearly not going to happen anytime soon, so I can't see how they could refuse if they have publicly announced it will work by a certain time?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<