Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Upgrade
(09-Apr-2021, 10:11)trex Wrote:
(09-Apr-2021, 06:03)Bobbybina Wrote: Received my two upgraded Phantom I Golds a few days ago in white matte. These replaced my Golds from 5 years ago. The speakers are noticeably faster in start up and set up. But better yet, they are rock solid. No drop outs at all. They sound magnificent. Very happy I trusted my gut and switched the old ones out. In my opinion, they sound better than the previous Golds. A worthwhile upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice findings, you have any pictures of the new white matte finish?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-Apr-2021, 15:25)Bobbybina Wrote:
(09-Apr-2021, 14:08)st33f Wrote:
(09-Apr-2021, 06:03)Bobbybina Wrote: Received my two upgraded Phantom I Golds a few days ago in white matte. These replaced my Golds from 5 years ago. The speakers are noticeably faster in start up and set up. But better yet, they are rock solid. No drop outs at all. They sound magnificent. Very happy I trusted my gut and switched the old ones out. In my opinion, they sound better than the previous Golds. A worthwhile upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How long did it take, they confirmed reception this Tuesday, but nothing shipped yet.
It still shows processing on Devialet’s website. But it shipped out of New York and I received the new Phantoms 2 days after they received the old ones. The old ones took 4 days to get to New York from Los Angeles.
I received a notification today, I should have it Monday, yay. Mine ships from France.

White matte looks really nice, I cannot wait for my black though.
I wonder if the price is based on how old your speakers are. I get exactly 50% off for my golds which are a little over four years old (turn five years old in December).

But if they are solid and no dropouts? Very tempting, I still have dropouts sometimes even tho it's way less than a few FW updates back...
(29-Mar-2021, 02:40)st33f Wrote:
(28-Mar-2021, 17:51)daveyjung Wrote: I was in the process of returning a damaged Phantom Gold (damage to the tweeter) for repair not covered under Devialet Care - they said the repair would be a replacement with a refurbished Gold for $1690. Then the upgrade program came out - I spoke with a Shanna with customer service who stated that I could still return the damaged speaker for an upgrade with no additional cost. I’m in the process of receiving my return boxes - Ill let you know if I run into any problems once they receive my damaged speaker.

I've just sent my speaker with bumps, I'll see how it goes, but the conditions do not mention the state of the speaker for the upgrade, so they technically cannot refuse a functional but banged up piece.

Just got the new one, no problems or mentions concerning the dents.
(09-Apr-2021, 15:32)st33 Wrote: White matte looks really nice, I cannot wait for my black though.

The matte white looks much better than the plastic glossy whites. Is the surface on the unit metallic or matte plastic on the new whites? 

On picture it looks like woofer and base is the same? In my old Golds the white have been colored yellowish form the sun.
(13-Apr-2021, 01:49)st33f Wrote:
(29-Mar-2021, 02:40)st33f Wrote:
(28-Mar-2021, 17:51)daveyjung Wrote: I was in the process of returning a damaged Phantom Gold (damage to the tweeter) for repair not covered under Devialet Care - they said the repair would be a replacement with a refurbished Gold for $1690. Then the upgrade program came out - I spoke with a Shanna with customer service who stated that I could still return the damaged speaker for an upgrade with no additional cost. I’m in the process of receiving my return boxes - Ill let you know if I run into any problems once they receive my damaged speaker.

I've just sent my speaker with bumps, I'll see how it goes, but the conditions do not mention the state of the speaker for the upgrade, so they technically cannot refuse a functional but banged up piece.

Cant wait to hear comparison from old Gold vs new.

Please put up some pictures of the Black ones
(13-Apr-2021, 12:19)trex Wrote:
(13-Apr-2021, 01:49)st33f Wrote:
(29-Mar-2021, 02:40)st33f Wrote: I've just sent my speaker with bumps, I'll see how it goes, but the conditions do not mention the state of the speaker for the upgrade, so they technically cannot refuse a functional but banged up piece.

I'll put the black one soon. 

As for the change in sound quality, I didn't do any comparison yet and I do not think I'll be much of a help because it just sounds great and I am not one of those who argue 1Hz here or there etc. However, what I definitely have noticed  is that the speaker is less bassy. It's definitely not missing the bass, we all know that much, but it is much more tight (I never understood what was meant by it untill now Smile). I even checked if the app was not on a night mode - it wasn't. 

I also have an impresion that the woofer does not move as wide as the previous one on the same volume leve - I will just have to play it a little louder Smile, Maybe a burn-in will change that. Time will tell. Second one is comming soon Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(13-Apr-2021, 18:06)st33f Wrote:
(13-Apr-2021, 12:19)trex Wrote:
(13-Apr-2021, 01:49)st33f Wrote: Just got the new one, no problems or mentions concerning the dents.

As for the change in sound quality, I didn't do any comparison yet and I do not think I'll be much of a help because it just sounds great and I am not one of those who argue 1Hz here or there etc. However, what I definitely have noticed  is that the speaker is less bassy. It's definitely not missing the bass, we all know that much, but it is much more tight (I never understood what was meant by it untill now Smile). I even checked if the app was not on a night mode - it wasn't. 

I also have an impresion that the woofer does not move as wide as the previous one on the same volume leve - I will just have to play it a little louder Smile, Maybe a burn-in will change that. Time will tell. Second one is comming soon Smile

Did your old tripod legs fit the new model?
(30-Apr-2021, 03:40)BrookesBirds Wrote:
(13-Apr-2021, 18:06)st33f Wrote:
(13-Apr-2021, 12:19)trex Wrote: Cant wait to hear comparison from old Gold vs new.

Did your old tripod legs fit the new model?

They fit my old Trees fine. Must say they sound a lot better than the old golds. Calmer, less boomy, better dispersion and air between the instruments. They stay cool. I have used my old Golds nearly every day for four years and this is is a significant step up. Higly recommended.
Interesting that we are now seeing comments that the new Golds seem to be better “voiced” with less boom and better dispersion between the instruments. Maybe the DAC has been tweaked in the new Phantoms?
Have they been more stable on DOS2 than the originals upgraded to DOS2?
If they sound better and more stable then maybe the Elevate option is becoming more attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk