Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet and Obsolescence?
(16-Apr-2016, 13:52)Silvertouran Wrote: I don't actually believe in the word Futureproof. I mean how can you futureproof something for technology that doesn't even exist yet just because it has upgradable software? It's just another marketing buzz word.

I agree.  What I meant to say is that the ability to further improve the Expert line through firmware updates should extend the life and value of the Devialet further than products that cannot be upgraded in place.   But, of course, firmware alone is not going to enable adopting new tech.  It will be interesting to see if/how/when Devialet does provide upgrade paths.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Let's just see if our Devialet can play MQA.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
New hardware for expert line is coming soon that' s true. What' s it is, should be a surprise.

Sent by iPad
I've been a Devialet Expert owner now for 10 months.   I love my 200, but I'll admit to becoming a bit disillusioned with the company.   They created a product with the intent to continue to support and improve it through firmware and software improvements.  That commitment played a part in my purchase decision.  Was it just marketing-speak? Over the course of this last year, all I've seen is heavy focus on their new speakers with no apparent effort to address real issues from existing customers (e.g... AIR). Contacting support yielded some very polite messages but absolutely no results nor insight.

When I bought the 200, I felt certain I would pick up a companion to make it a 400 within a year as finances became available.   Now I'm on the fence about that decision...

I want to believe in Devialet the company as much as I do their product, but they're not making it easy.  I'm hoping the next few months will turn that perception around.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I would be more concerned by obsolescence if I didn't own the best system available as we speak, the Devialet.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
(16-Apr-2016, 17:09)Elztalbiker Wrote: New hardware for expert line is coming soon that' s true. What' s it is, should be a surprise.

Sent by iPad

So, I was in Paris at the weekend and popped into the Devialet Maison for a quick nose around. I didn't learn too much (the guys in there clearly knew a lot more than they were prepared to say) but I did pick up the following snippets;

- The motherboard for the O d'A is completely new, and will likely form the basis of the next generation systems. No clue as to what these might look like but probably not imminent. 

- There may well be a new release of software around the time of the Munich festival; couldn't say for sure but would "fit in with the annual upgrade schedule". 

- Any new release will probably integrate the phantoms and the expert range through the Dialogue. The vision is a totally connected system regardless of which Devialet(s) you have. 

All this from a very non-committal young French sales person, so take it with a pinch of salt. 

Going back to the point raised by the OP; all technology is obsolete, but I think Devialets are less obsolete than most products out there and they still sound great.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
(19-Apr-2016, 19:08)ozthepoz Wrote:
(16-Apr-2016, 17:09)Elztalbiker Wrote: New hardware for expert line is coming soon that' s true. What' s it is, should be a surprise.

Sent by iPad

- Any new release will probably integrate the phantoms and the expert range through the Dialogue. The vision is a totally connected system regardless of which Devialet(s) you have. 

That's rather unfortunate and IMO last thing most expert owners want.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(19-Apr-2016, 19:16)Dr Tone Wrote:
(19-Apr-2016, 19:08)ozthepoz Wrote:

Sent by iPad

That's rather unfortunate and IMO last thing most expert owners want.
I agree; if dialog had worked with the expert range on day one it might have been useful, but I think all the expert users have given up on dialog & spark.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
(16-Apr-2016, 17:08)tategoi Wrote: Let's just see if our Devialet can play MQA.

Let's see if MQA actually becomes a real player in the ever increasing field of formats first:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/0...t-and-see/

I think he's got a valid point there. If Tidal doesn't pick up MQA it's as doomed as many others.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
High End 2016: Hardware upgrade for nearly 1000 Euro is coming? New hardware for expert line is coming soon?

Looks like May is going to be an interesting month for the Devialet 2016 almanac predictions. (Or maybe not?)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12