Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual mono with REL Subwoofer
Ok I have got my S5 SHO.

Break-in for 4 hours. Putting in the middle between two speakers temporary.

My initially impression is good but not surprisingly good, somehow I feel the bass is not synced with the main speaker. Like a song has a lot of drum, either it sounds too early or too late, I am not sure... may be that’s how it should be as I never connect a sub into stereo system.

Will listen for longer time and see how it goes.
(26-Apr-2019, 15:26)PeppaPig Wrote: Ok I have got my S5 SHO.

My initially impression is good but not surprisingly good, somehow I feel the bass is not synced with the main speaker. Like a song has a lot of drum, either it sounds too early or too late, I am not sure... may be that’s how it should be as I never connect a sub into stereo system.

I’d suggest finding something with a thumping repeating bass, turn sub up quite loud and just try to get the phase sorted first (so listen for the loudest cleanest sound between the two phase options.

Playing around with positioning will also make a big difference.

Good luck! And keep patient!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(26-Apr-2019, 18:44)martynbaker1 Wrote:
(26-Apr-2019, 15:26)PeppaPig Wrote: Ok I have got my S5 SHO.

I’d suggest finding something with a thumping repeating bass, turn sub up quite loud and just try to get the phase sorted first (so listen for the loudest cleanest sound between the two phase options.

Playing around with positioning will also make a big difference.

Good luck! And keep patient!

Hi Mart,

What do you mean by “listen for the loudest cleanest sound between the two phase options. “? What is phase means? Sorry I don’t have any knowledge about subwoofer...

And last night I let it run around 17db on my 1000Pro for about 3 hours. Is that enough loud? I read the break in instruction from REL website, it also mentioned it need to be loud enough but I am not sure how loud is consider as loud, my wife think it’s extremely loud I think it’s loud but not extreme.

But on it the manual, REL also mentioned playing very loud for extended period for the first 24 hours of the subwoofer’s playing time can damage or shorten its lifespan.

I also heard my REL has constant noise when not playing music, it sound like hummm.... if I raise up the cross over or volume it will become louder, if I turn both to Max it will be come very loud hummm...sound... very annoying. If I disconnect the high level input then the noise is gone immediately. I tried to connect the ground to amp chassis doesn’t help at all. Any ideas?
(26-Apr-2019, 15:26)PeppaPig Wrote: somehow I feel the bass is not synced with the main speaker. 

Did you do the step by step REL set up procedure? If not, start again. I've never set up a subwoofer but from what I've read, if you don't follow the procedure to the letter you will never get it to sound right.

Just a hint from Jim Smith, who uses REL subs. Instead of using bass heavy music, he uses a solo female voice as a reference. After all, the voice is where the music is.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(27-Apr-2019, 04:23)Pim Wrote:
(26-Apr-2019, 15:26)PeppaPig Wrote: somehow I feel the bass is not synced with the main speaker. 

Did you do the step by step REL set up procedure? If not, start again. I've never set up a subwoofer but from what I've read, if you don't follow the procedure to the letter you will never get it to sound right.

Just a hint from Jim Smith, who uses REL subs. Instead of using bass heavy music, he uses a solo female voice as a reference. After all, the voice is where the music is.

Hi Pim, no I didn’t strictly follow their instructions but about 70% followed Wink

Now my problem is the humming sound. I tried many way and I can’t not address it, it’s extremely annoying. Tried same switch board for one of the companion amp and sub doesn’t help... anyone has any ideas?
(27-Apr-2019, 06:42)PeppaPig Wrote:
(27-Apr-2019, 04:23)Pim Wrote:

Hi Pim, no I didn’t strictly follow their instructions but about 70% followed Wink

Now my problem is the humming sound. I tried many way and I can’t not address it, it’s extremely annoying.

Could the humming sound have anything to do with ground and the fact you're using high level outputs? I can't find it at the moment but i believe @f1eng had something to say about it. 

BTW, if you only followed the REL set up procedure by 70% then you know what it takes to get the sound 100%...do the other 30%  Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(27-Apr-2019, 07:47)Pim Wrote:
(27-Apr-2019, 04:23)Pim Wrote: Did you do the step by step REL set up procedure? If not, start again. I've never set up a subwoofer but from what I've read, if you don't follow the procedure to the letter you will never get it to sound right.

Now my problem is the humming sound. I tried many way and I can’t not address it, it’s extremely annoying.

Could the humming sound have anything to do with ground and the fact you're using high level outputs? I can't find it at the moment but i believe @f1eng had something to say about it. 

BTW, if you only followed the REL set up procedure by 70% then you know what it takes to get the sound 100%...do the other 30%  Tongue

Yes get on those instructions! They’re a godsend. Their website also explains how to get rid of hum for RELs.

(27-Apr-2019, 07:47)Pim Wrote:
(27-Apr-2019, 04:23)Pim Wrote: Did you do the step by step REL set up procedure? If not, start again. I've never set up a subwoofer but from what I've read, if you don't follow the procedure to the letter you will never get it to sound right.

Hi Pim and Mart, I have spent entire afternoon tried many ways, and could not get it resolved!!! Somehow I feel the problem is on the Devialet, because once any cable from subwoofer connected to any post on the Devialet, it starts humming, no matter the ground wire or the red/yellow one.

Tried using same power board, tried connect ground to the chassis or other rca post, tried different power outlet, all generates humming. Doesn’t matter if Devialet is on/off.

I also read the REL manual about resolving humming, doesn’t really help me.

Does this only happen on high level input? I don’t have any other cable so I can’t try the low level input.
Setting up a subwoofer -properly- isn’t very easy. Just look at all the guides written on the subject on the Internet. I actually believe it can’t be done (again properly) without measuring equipment.

For the basics I think this is a good guide: http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

But you may need to find someone experienced to do it for you at your home.

Humming usually is related to ground loops or leakage currents eg. because of the cable picking up noise. I myself am using the low level inputs on my sub so don’t know much about the ‘high level input workings’ of a sub with the Devialet.

Good luck!
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(27-Apr-2019, 13:41)Antoine Wrote: Setting up a subwoofer -properly- isn’t very easy. Just look at all the guides written on the subject on the Internet. I actually believe it can’t be done (again properly) without measuring equipment.

For the basics I think this is a good guide: http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

But you may need to find someone experienced to do it for you at your home.

Humming usually is related to ground loops or leakage currents eg. because of the cable picking up noise. I myself am using the low level inputs on my sub so don’t know much about the ‘high level input workings’ of a sub with the Devialet.

Good luck!

Hi Antoie, how you configure your Devialet to output to sub? Do you mind to show me a screenshot? If using low level can resolve humming then worth a try, as currently with the loudness of humming, I found it destroyed my overall music experience, it adds background noise...