Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual mono with REL Subwoofer
(27-Apr-2019, 15:11)PeppaPig Wrote:
(27-Apr-2019, 13:41)Antoine Wrote: Setting up a subwoofer -properly- isn’t very easy. Just look at all the guides written on the subject on the Internet. I actually believe it can’t be done (again properly) without measuring equipment.

For the basics I think this is a good guide: http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

But you may need to find someone experienced to do it for you at your home.

Humming usually is related to ground loops or leakage currents eg. because of the cable picking up noise. I myself am using the low level inputs on my sub so don’t know much about the ‘high level input workings’ of a sub with the Devialet.

Good luck!

Hi Antoie, how you configure your Devialet to output to sub? Do you mind to show me a screenshot? If using low level can resolve humming then worth a try, as currently with the loudness of humming, I found it destroyed my overall music experience, it adds background noise...

Hi Peppapig,

My settings are very specific to my setup. I’m using a DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 DC to DSP the output of the sub and the sub itself does no cross-over or anything so these won’t be of any use to you.

In the Advanced Configurator you can configure the digital 2 output as a mono pre-out or digital 1+2 as a stereo pre-out to connect the sub. Once you do you can configure the required filtering/crossover settings or just output a full range signal and do the crossover on your sub. Make sure the output’s volume control setting is set to variable.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(27-Apr-2019, 15:37)Antoine Wrote:
(27-Apr-2019, 15:11)PeppaPig Wrote:
(27-Apr-2019, 13:41)Antoine Wrote: Setting up a subwoofer -properly- isn’t very easy. Just look at all the guides written on the subject on the Internet. I actually believe it can’t be done (again properly) without measuring equipment.

For the basics I think this is a good guide: http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

But you may need to find someone experienced to do it for you at your home.

Humming usually is related to ground loops or leakage currents eg. because of the cable picking up noise. I myself am using the low level inputs on my sub so don’t know much about the ‘high level input workings’ of a sub with the Devialet.

Good luck!

Hi Antoie, how you configure your Devialet to output to sub? Do you mind to show me a screenshot? If using low level can resolve humming then worth a try, as currently with the loudness of humming, I found it destroyed my overall music experience, it adds background noise...

Hi Peppapig,

My settings are very specific to my setup. I’m using a DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 DC to DSP the output of the sub and the sub itself does no cross-over or anything so these won’t be of any use to you.

In the Advanced Configurator you can configure the digital 2 output as a mono pre-out or digital 1+2 as a stereo pre-out to connect the sub. Once you do you can configure the required filtering/crossover settings or just output a full range signal and do the crossover on your sub. Make sure the output’s volume control setting is set to variable.

Thanks mate. In this way if in the future I want to have two sub I won’t have enough ports.. the ports on the master has been used for phono and a Sony receiver, which means it won’t have another two ports for left sub mono output...
Problem solved. The only way works for me is connect one more RCA between the Devialet and the Subwoofer, then disconnect the black wire. And I they are not connected to the same power board.

Thanks for everyone for the help.
(28-Apr-2019, 03:25)PeppaPig Wrote: Problem solved. The only way works for me is connect one more RCA between the Devialet and the Subwoofer, then disconnect the black wire. And I they are not connected to the same power board.

Great to hear it’s sorted! How’s the sub sounding? Did you figure out phase with REL instructions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(28-Apr-2019, 03:25)PeppaPig Wrote: Problem solved. The only way works for me is connect one more RCA between the Devialet and the Subwoofer, then disconnect the black wire. And I they are not connected to the same power board.

That’s great to hear, glad you found this solution. Grounding issues can be a pain!

Wanted to say that in an earlier post I used the word ‘properly’ but actually meant ‘optimally’. I don’t want to disencourage anyone of course! Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Hey Mart & Antoine,

The ground issue is painful, took me a day to resolve it, now the sub automatically goes to standby 30mins after Devialet is off.

However when music is paused the sub is not completely silent, if I put my ear right next to it I can hear some background noise, but it’s not humming. I guess it’s because the built in amplifier isn’t as good as Devialet which has a dead silence background. Anyway I don’t think it’s a problem as it’s not audible from certain distance.

I have followed the REL instructions but cannot do it 100% due to my room situation. I can only put it behind the speaker and can only facing straight. Room is not wide and depth enough for me to make all the adjustments but I believe it’s more for single subwoofer situation. I am going to get the second one tomorrow so they will almost fully cover everywhere in the room without any “bass gap”.

I tried the phase 0 and 180, very minor difference. 180 sounds little faster and more sync with the main speaker, so I leave it in 180.

I leave the crossover about 45-50 and 2/3 volume. Tested with few male and female voice music, I am quite happy with how it extending the bass, the system now has a much better response at both ends. My main speaker has a specification that can reaches 25Hz, so may be one day I should try lower the crossover a bit and see how it goes, but for now I just love the bass sound so much and wants it more Wink
(28-Apr-2019, 12:55)PeppaPig Wrote: Hey Mart & Antoine,

The ground issue is painful, took me a day to resolve it, now the sub automatically goes to standby 30mins after Devialet is off.

However when music is paused the sub is not completely silent, if I put my ear right next to it I can hear some background noise, but it’s not humming. I guess it’s because the built in amplifier isn’t as good as Devialet which has a dead silence background. Anyway I don’t think it’s a problem as it’s not audible from certain distance.

I have followed the REL instructions but cannot do it 100% due to my room situation. I can only put it behind the speaker and can only facing straight. Room is not wide and depth enough for me to make all the adjustments but I believe it’s more for single subwoofer situation. I am going to get the second one tomorrow so they will almost fully cover everywhere in the room without any “bass gap”.

I tried the phase 0 and 180, very minor difference. 180 sounds little faster and more sync with the main speaker, so I leave it in 180.

I leave the crossover about 45-50 and 2/3 volume. Tested with few male and female voice music, I am quite happy with how it extending the bass, the system now has a much better response at both ends. My main speaker has a specification that can reaches 25Hz, so may be one day I should try lower the crossover a bit and see how it goes, but for now I just love the bass sound so much and wants it more Wink

Ah great news. Two of those bad boys and you’ll have no problem pressurising the room. Setup will be much easier than what I dealt with too.

Yes all the RELs have a slight background noise. I asked REL when mine was doing the same. We’re spoilt with Devialet and its silence.

Enjoy the bass!

(28-Apr-2019, 15:38)martynbaker1 Wrote:
(28-Apr-2019, 12:55)PeppaPig Wrote: Hey Mart & Antoine,

Ah great news. Two of those bad boys and you’ll have no problem pressurising the room. Setup will be much easier than what I dealt with too.

Yes all the RELs have a slight background noise. I asked REL when mine was doing the same. We’re spoilt with Devialet and its silence.

Enjoy the bass!

Thanks Mart, I will update my dual sub experience here when it arrives.
My JL Audio F112 sub also has a soft hum but it can only be heard with the ear near it. Accidentally I once found out it lowers in volume when I ‘shield’ the side e.g. using a piece of aluminium foil so it’s somehow sensitive to outside RFI. Nothing to worry about, I agree with Martyn; we’re spoilt with our dead silent Devialets! Smile

Enjoy!

The Netherlands
(29-Apr-2019, 09:37)Antoine Wrote: My JL Audio F112 sub also has a soft hum but it can only be heard with the ear near it. Accidentally I once found out it lowers in volume when I ‘shield’ the side e.g. using a piece of aluminium foil so it’s somehow sensitive to outside RFI. Nothing to worry about, I agree with Martyn; we’re spoilt with our dead silent Devialets! Smile

Enjoy!

Have your tried a better shielded cable? I am thinking to get the REL baseline blue. I believe it will decrease the background noise slightly.