Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Entreq grounding boxes
The lad who advises me on my Hifi reckons the Entreq gear will help to reduce my brightness issues. I am a little sceptical, but then I was about stillpoints until I tried them ...its an interesting hobby
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Someone on Pinkfish has suggested that the filler in the Entreq boxes looks like granulated copper slag which is used for shot-blasting metal (prices from $100 per metric tonne). Google it and and you will find plenty of photos. It certainly does look like that material.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(10-Nov-2015, 12:03)GuillaumeB Wrote: ...
One notable experiment which I think I reported on here involved comparing a Linn Akurate DSM to a Totaldac d1 server with both connected to the Devialet master at the same time. Toggling between the two it was very easy to hear which one was the Akurate DSM (and I'm pretty sure I could have done that unsighted). The Akurate sounded "dull" whereas the the Totaldac sounded lively. After grounding the Akurate using an Entreq cable (connected to a ground box) it became very difficult to tell the difference between the two sources (in classic A/B testing). The Totaldac was not grounded in this experiment. I found this result to be almost a smoking gun in proving (to myself!) that the Entreq system was doing something

Guillaume

Well, I guess that observation ties in with Frank's suggestion that the Entreq boxes may actually be injecting more noise into the system making it sound subjectively brighter and more open.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
(10-Nov-2015, 12:57)Womaz Wrote: The lad who advises me on my Hifi reckons the Entreq gear will help to reduce my brightness issues. I am a little sceptical, but then I was about stillpoints until I tried them ...its an interesting hobby

Worth trying but in Guillaume's case it made the Linn Akurate sound brighter.
(10-Nov-2015, 13:35)PhilP Wrote:
(10-Nov-2015, 12:57)Womaz Wrote: The lad who advises me on my Hifi reckons the Entreq gear will help to reduce my brightness issues. I am a little sceptical, but then I was about stillpoints until I tried them ...its an interesting hobby

It didn't make the Linn Akurate sound bright, it made it sound more like the Totaldac. Like I said it was difficult to differentiate between the two when toggling rapidly between the two (both were setup to play the same music).

Given the trouble that Vincent has gone through to remove noise from the Totaldac I find it difficult to believe that the Akurate with noise added sounds more like the Totaldac. Remember the Totaldac is one of the best sources I have heard bar the Melco N1Z.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(10-Nov-2015, 13:43)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(10-Nov-2015, 13:35)PhilP Wrote:

It didn't make the Linn Akurate sound bright, it made it sound more like the Totaldac. Like I said it was difficult to differentiate between the two when toggling rapidly between the two (both were setup to play the same music).

Given the trouble that Vincent has gone through to remove noise from the Totaldac I find it difficult to believe that the Akurate with noise added sounds more like the Totaldac. Remember the Totaldac is one of the best sources I have heard bar the Melco N1Z.

Guillaume

Oh, ok, you said the Akurate sounded 'dull' without the Entreq boxes... I thought you meant dull in comparison to the TotalDAC ??? Semantics really but I read your 'lively' as brighter Smile

As Frank said "Added noise gives the impression of greater stereo depth and width...... it is a real effect which I have had demonstrated to me in the past and liked."
(10-Nov-2015, 13:47)PhilP Wrote: Oh, ok, you said the Akurate sounded 'dull' without the Entreq boxes... I thought you meant dull in comparison to the TotalDAC ???  Semantics really but I read your 'lively' as brighter Smile

I'm detecting a little mischievousness here PhilP!

Indeed your previous posts suggest to me that you are trying to stir things up, in a rather playful manner of course.  Smile

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(10-Nov-2015, 14:29)GuillaumeB Wrote: Indeed your previous posts suggest to me that you are trying to stir things up, in a rather playful manner of course.  Smile

Guillaume

The forum has been rather dull recently. Perhaps injecting a little noise (or indeed a few facts) will help to liven or brighten things up ?

The truth is I don't find the grounding explanation convincing particularly now that the contents of the box have been revealed. Entreq themselves supposedly only discovered the claimed positive effects of their boxes by accident. Frank's explantation seems more plausible to me.
(10-Nov-2015, 12:45)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(10-Nov-2015, 12:41)Confused Wrote: CAD had a similar device on demo at Oxford Audio last Saturday.  When I say similar, it was in fact very different.  This is a simple black box, made of metal and is filled with electronics (I'm not sure what), not with soil, minerals etc.  This was a one off prototype unit, which if I recall correctly, will retail for about £1400.  The similarity is the claim that it can reduce unwanted RFI interference etc.  Something to look out for in the future.

Very interesting...

Bit off-topic but did you get to hear the new ChordMusic cables?

Guillaume

Indeed I did.  However, it was a case of running through three cables at ever increasing price levels, play one track, swap cable, play same track, repeat.  All this in an unfamiliar system, but a system that does share similarities with the one I have at home, this was Aurednder W20, D800, KEF reference 3.  In same ways rather different to the Blades +D800, in other respects not.  All slightly confusing, so I certainly cannot draw any conclusions from what I heard.  One thing though, I did start to think that the system sounded best with the Chord Signature USB, the cheapest they demoed at about £400, as it took a touch of brightness / harshness out of the highs.  In these circumstances, I could easily have been kidding myself, and this was with just one track, with another piece of music the result may have been very different.   Another conclusion was that the system sounded much better with the Sarum speaker cables vs the Chord Epic Reference.  Curiously, I listened to both of these speaker cables with a D400 and KEF Blades a while back, and to be honest could not tell any difference.  I think the only conclusion is that a proper test over time, with a large selection of source material is needed to form a sensible conclusion.
The other interesting thing on demo was the CAD CAT music player.  This is an interesting beast.  Cynics will dismiss this as an overpriced modified computer.  However, in the ever changing world of music streaming this machine does offer a very high degree of flexibility, futureproofing and does looks very thoroughly put together.  This is even more off topic, but worth a mention I think.  I'll post a new thread on this one when I have a bit more time.
(10-Nov-2015, 16:09)Confused Wrote: The other interesting thing on demo was the CAD CAT music player. 

I'd be interested to hear more about this.

Guillaume

UK