Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet cable upgrade
From my first hand experience I can tell you they’re very well constructed.
Audionet DNA / roon / ProAc SM100s
Looking back over this thread, Pim has expressed his doubts that this cable: https://www.amazon.com/Postta-Gigabit-Ne...B01LZKH0Y7
Is actually Cat7, i.e. “Both individual pairs are shielded, with an additional layer of shielding over the entire cable. The shielding needs to be grounded and Cat7 also requires special GigaGate45 (GG45) connectors to take full advantage of higher performance features.”, and I tend to agree. I don’t think it would be possible at that price point.
@cereal killer
Have you tried the Supra cable that I recommended In post #32 of this thread?
Have you disassembled one of these Postta cables to see whether they conform to Cat7?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Heres another, same price bracket: https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ether...ridge+cat7

Fully certified.

Sometimes audiophiles 'need' to spend more to satisfy the inevitable neurosis...
And some more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Vandes...04&sr=8-15
(04-Mar-2018, 04:17)Axel Wrote: Looking back over this thread, Pim has expressed his doubts that this cable: https://www.amazon.com/Postta-Gigabit-Ne...B01LZKH0Y7
Is actually Cat7, i.e. “Both individual pairs are shielded, with an additional layer of shielding over the entire cable. The shielding needs to be grounded and Cat7 also requires special GigaGate45 (GG45) connectors to take full advantage of higher performance features.”, and I tend to agree. I don’t think it would be possible at that price point.
@cereal killer
Have you tried the Supra cable that I recommended In post #32 of this thread?
Have you disassembled one of these Postta cables to see whether they conform to Cat7?

Interestingly there are two 'reviews' on Amazon with opposing views:

1 - Bought several of these cables to re outfit my whole network. What a difference in speeds from Cat 5E to Cat7. The 10ft cables have increased my network speeds greatly and have made my download speeds tremendously larger. I am now getting what I actually pay for from my ISP.

2 - This is advertised as a fast Ethernet cable. However, it is significantly slower than a standard Ethernet cable. It cut my TV streaming speed in half and caused big delays. In addition, this cable nearly burned up my Amazon Fire TV box. When used, the box became so hot - too hot to even touch. I am very dissatisfied with this product.

This I know for sure;  a flat cable CAN transport CD quality music but not very well. Sonos sells their systems with flat cables and they do work. But a mate of mine had some dramas after a move that turned out to be related to the flat cable. He had been on Sonos forums for weeks and never thought to change the flat cable out for a properly designed Cat.5 cable. I happened to be there and saw the flat cable. Knowing a bit more about networking than him, I decided to change the cable out. He had a Cat.5 cable sitting right there!. 

Long story short, because flat cable CAN work, it can easily be sold as a Cat.7 or whatever cable to the average consumer. As long as it does the job, what do you know? Is that flat cable on Amazon Cat.7? Absolutely not. There's even a 'high end' cable brand that sells a Cat.8 flat cable (It's red. Forgot the name) Is that a real Cat.8 cable? Nope. Not in a million years. But all that doesn't matter because audio doesn't need more than a Cat. 5 cable to work properly. 

Does that mean every cable will sound the same? That I can't answer. I'm sure a decent cable can deliver a good enough signal to get all the ones and zeros from A to B. But there is always a chance the cable picks up some kind of distortion. And that's where shielding comes in. A properly shielded cable doesn't have to cost the earth. So why can a company like Audioquest sell their Diamond range for more than $1000.- ? There HAS to be something else. The Dielectric Bias system perhaps? It could well be that having an electrostatic field eliminates any outside interference that could have a negative impact on sound quality. That's great. The question that remains is this and it's the same question for all cables; at what point is the cable capable of delivering the signal properly and without interference and can not be improved upon from a users point of view? Where is the threshold where a better designed cable won't make any more improvement to the sound quality? If you change a road from 1 lane to 3 lanes it is technically better yes, but if you only drive 100 cars per hour over it, why bother?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Sorry but you're incorrect. CAT7 can be flat and is certified - you have your wires crossed Wink

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/buying-adv...8-3671060/