Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert 140 PRO with Boenicke W5, need help!
Smile 
Hi,

I sold my Phantom golds and bought the Boenicke W5 stand mount speakers. I'm thinking of trying the new Expert 140 PRO since I want AirPlay. 

I've searched the forum and it seems that a few of you own Boenicke speakers. What do you say about the W5 + 140 PRO match? Will they play nice together, have you tried a similar combo? 

Since my budget is quite stretched already I can't go any higher in the PRO range. I could buy a used 250 but then I wouldn't have the AirPlay option (I don't want to use AIR or ROON at this point).

Thanks!
(02-May-2019, 14:49)Soundside Wrote: Hi,

I sold my Phantom golds and bought the Boenicke W5 stand mount speakers. I'm thinking of trying the new Expert 140 PRO since I want AirPlay. 

I've searched the forum and it seems that a few of you own Boenicke speakers. What do you say about the W5 + 140 PRO match? Will they play nice together, have you tried a similar combo? 

Since my budget is quite stretched already I can't go any higher in the PRO range. I could buy a used 250 but then I wouldn't have the AirPlay option (I don't want to use AIR or ROON at this point).

Thanks!

Good news: the Boenicke W5 SE speakers are SAM-profiled by Devialet.  That should give you some assurance!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(02-May-2019, 19:20)Flashman Wrote:
(02-May-2019, 14:49)Soundside Wrote: Hi,

Thanks!

Good news: the Boenicke W5 SE speakers are SAM-profiled by Devialet.  That should give you some assurance!

Yeah I saw that, that's great. But can I use that preset even though I don't have the W5 SE? Or how can I add the regular W5?
I’ll bet it will work. Maybe you could check with Sven Boenicke just to be sure.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Looks like the difference between W5 and the SE version is in the bass department so I would be careful using the W5 SE profile for the W5.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(03-May-2019, 01:56)Pim Wrote: Looks like the difference between W5 and the SE version is in the bass department so I would be careful using the W5 SE profile for the W5.

Yeah that’s correct. Is it possible for the Devialet team to add the regular W5 to SAM just tweaking the bass response or do they need the actual speakers to measure? 

What do you think about power then, will the 140 PRO be enough?
I am quite certain Devialet will have to measure the regular 5W version. SAM is not easy to tweak even for those with full access to data, I believe.
5W is around 84dB/W/m so the low sensitivity is the only limiting factor if you like to play loud. Otherwise a 140 should have no problems driving the speakers. Others would need to comment on the synergy between amp and speakers ( I guess that is what you are actually asking about...)
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Ok, that sounds about right. Hopefully tvey can add the speaker. I’m not playing loud, I just don’t want the speakers to be held back due to low power.

Yes, I would love some input on Boenicke / Devialet synergy since I don’t have the opportunity to test the combo right now.

For the moment I’m using Naim with the W5’s and they work well together.
In case the W5s dont get added to SAM, is it still worth going with Devialet, or am I better of looking elsewhere?

Would you consider using/buying Expert Pro knowing your speakers aren’t supported?
(06-May-2019, 19:41)Soundside Wrote: In case the W5s dont get added to SAM, is it still worth going with Devialet, or am I better of looking elsewhere?

Would you consider using/buying Expert Pro knowing your speakers aren’t supported?

Personally I would still go with Devialet because I am yet to find an amplifier that approaches even by one order of magnitude the performance of the Devialet expert pro in terms of THD and IMD

SAM is a nice addition, but I could live happily without it. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France