Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert Pro update email
(16-Oct-2018, 20:52)David A Wrote:
(16-Oct-2018, 19:58)Petter Wrote: On Expert Pro with Core Infinity, certification of Roon RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport) begins this week, ???

What do this means ?  isent Pro already Roon ready ??

No, it's not Roon Ready but since Roon included native support for Devialet's AIR protocol Roon can see the Devialet on your network and allow you to choose the Devialet as a streaming end point in a similar way to the way in which you can choose a Roon Ready device as a streaming end point. The big difference is  that when you stream from Roon to a Devialet at the moment, the communication between Roon Server and the Devialet takes place using Devialet's protocol rather than with RAAT.
I make the same Petter question: What we get from raat instead of devialet, better SQ?
And what to do when it begins, Devialet will guide us for sure, right?
Most likely not better SQ but the same SQ as Air - since AIR is the best Devialet can get out of their own hardware through the network interfaces it’s unlikely another protocol could better it, but let’s see.

The key advantages for me;
-Zone grouping/syncing
-Roons QA & reliability.
-Roon settings automatically optimised for the device.
-Roon largely taking ownership so evolution over time is more on their timescales.

Devialet still need to implement it of course, so that aspect could still be a weak spot but ultimately Roon still test and certify it, and they’re a lot more thorough than Devialet. Wink

There is of course the possibility it won’t sound as good as AIR. From memory Roon won’t certify an implementation that isn’t on par with the manufacturers own offering, for obvious reasons. I seem to remember in the early Roon days Bryston owners said RAAT wasn’t as good when it was released, and there was a fair bit of fallout and RoonReady went away for a bit and came back. Not sure what the outcome was.

For me, even if it sounded fractionally worse I’d probably still use it if it was stable but that’s because grouping is a high priority.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

It will provide at least the sound quality of AIR added with better stability. As well as other features mentioned. Release as stated earlier for Expert line intended by Christmas.
Halfway 2019 in Devialet words = somewhere in in 2020 or worse...
Get stuff like this done (and working properly) before you release a product.
We've all seen this before.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(16-Oct-2018, 21:05)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Hopefully ‘certification begins this week’ is a slightly lost in translation way of saying ‘will be formally certified this week’ else we could still be in for a long wait which would be somewhat disappointing.

Well at least Phantom ‘Premier’ owners know it’s the second half of 2019. Hard to imagine how it could still be so far off, but it’s less vague than the ‘in 2019’ given for the Experts. It must be like half a decade since the iOS remote was updated, and sounds like non-Pro owners are stuck with that forever more.

So it’s communication, sure, but hardly that exciting. More a ‘thanks, but you just need a little more patience’.

It is good to see your optimism, but I suspect that ‘certification begins this week’ could be a perfectly accurate translation. 

So, a couple of questions.  Firstly, does anyone have any idea of roughly how long Roon certification takes?

A second question, I presume we have some native French speakers on the forum who have received the email in French.  Can anyone advise what the original text says in French?

As a final thought. Personally I am very pleased to see that Devialet have started some basic communication. I realise it is not all good news, especially for those who have issues with Phantom or Spark, but at least Devialet are being more open and we can see that there is indeed some development happening with Phantom and in other areas, even if the schedule is somewhat protracted. I do wonder if this is just a "one off" in order to stop any rebellion over the recent "open letter" initiative, lets hope not. Just one email update like this every six months would be something, lets hope the last email is the start of something, not actually the last email until someone comes up with another "open letter" plan.

Also, we were told that the Expert would see no further development, no firmware updates and so on. However, I presume the (Pre-Pro CI) Expert will benefit from the new remote app? If the new app is any good, this could prove to be an very nice update for all. (eventually) Or maybe the new remote will be CI Pro only? I don't think this is clear?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
As stated by me on a different thread after my exchange with Devialet.
- intended Roon RAAT launch by christmas / this year
- the new app used by Phantom is the new software base for both platforms.
Timeline for that summer 2019
Here's the thing that bothers me with this communication email... "certification begins this week" seems intentionally confusing and highly likely misleading. It "feels" like spin. I'd love to be proven wrong but I have far more confidence in Markush's comments of seeing RAAT by Christmas/year end. The good news is that it does confirm that work is proceeding.

Hey, I don't have a problem with a year-end timeframe. I'm quite happy with listening via Roon AIR. But the way the letter was written just felt a bit... off. Kinda like.. "we don't have any good news -- particular for Phantom owners -- but we're gonna do our best to spin it in a positive light."

But as Confused so aptly pointed out - any news from Devialet is a good thing and hopefully it will continue.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Omg does this mean Devialet are delivering the one box solution that I was misled about 4 years ago when I got my 200. Excellent news .......oh hold on I didn’t pay 3k for the upgrade ......so sod me :-)

Just to add I love my Devialet , they stitched me up but I forgive them :-)
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(17-Oct-2018, 18:56)Womaz Wrote: Omg does this mean Devialet are delivering the one box solution that I was misled about 4 years ago when I got my 200. Excellent news .......oh hold on I didn’t pay 3k for the upgrade ......so sod me :-)

Just to add I love my Devialet , they stitched me up but I forgive them :-)

Hey Womaz, I seem to recall that you found your rig sounded best running USB.  You’re one of the lucky ones, you can ignore this RAAT nonsense and enjoy the tunes! Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
From Roon forum. Seems we don’t need french translators.

Markush:
Well @danny as @Hifi_swlon stated, there is already an official info of Devialet saying certification starts this week. So this is your turn, Right?

Danny Dulai

Only if that statement is accurate, which it is not.

…or maybe they mean their end of the work started.

Anyway, you’ll hear from me on this subject next, when it is released.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<