Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 12.2.10
(24-Mar-2018, 06:46)cereal killer Wrote: John i don't get what the issue is?  You seem to be set on giving them a hard time for what exactly? commenting re the naming of software releases is just semantics ....

CK

Your right how remiss of me, the only thing Devialet have ever got wrong is the naming of software.

My humble apologies to Devialet who are so fantastic  Big Grin
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
John,

On the previous form example that you quoted, perhaps they're running 2 separate development streams, RC and beta, and the beta group start work on an existing RC and keep going while a further RC gets issued with changes from the previous beta release before the new beta comes out so the RC version with the new beta release is one version behind the current RC version.

On the topic of comments on the CI Log, you quote Quentin Sannié as saying: "For regular progress updates on Core Infinity, you can follow our logbook here and share your thoughts with us". Note that he said that we can share out thoughts with them but he didn't promise that they would share their thoughts with us, just that we could follow their logbook with no promises about how or when it would be updated and what feedback they would provide. They aren't giving us any less than they promised us because they only promised logbook updates at unspecified intervals which is exactly what we're getting :-( I think we'd all like more but we're only going to get what they release when they release it.

I think you're starting to get impatient waiting for Olivier to get to Perth and upgrade your 1000 Pro. I can understand that but hang in there. It's not too long now and at least you now have a date.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Does anyone say something to the sound impression in comparison to the beta bevor?
D440 Pro CI; TAD E1 TX; Innuos Zenith MK 3, Acoustic Revive Cable
As far as I can see, and not being that familiar with the all the version numbers so far - the release candidate ID is not an every-increasing number regardless of version number but signifies the release candidate id of that particular version, so taking two random version numbers (nothing to do with real Devialet firmware releases) - v2.1 RC4 and v2.2 RC3 would be perfectly valid.
But yes, their versioning does seem a bit weird with, for example,  a non-beta generally-available release called "expert-pro-2.1_rc4".  I have felt some concern in the past about how they version software releases because it doesn't always seem to make sense, and can expose to the public how their versioning system, and hence source code control, may be a bit haphazard. It might well not be, but just looks that way!
David

Actually some of my concerns are the opposite.

Perth CI Upgrades are scheduled 3rd / 4th April. Now a new Beta software has just been issued, but again no formal release. If I was really pessimistic and didn't fell comfortable using the new Beta software, with the multitude of conditions that have to be agreed prior to use (the conditions essentially say if the software stuffs up your Expert Pro then no come back on Devialet). With this dis-comfort and unsure using the Beta software and their onerous conditions there's only the 1 commercial CI software release option from 1st December that has multiple bugs. Now going to the next extreme if really want to be super pessimistic and say I don't want to do the CI upgrade just yet and want to wait until the software Beta testing has been fully completed with a new beaut commercial OS being released then Devialet have previously said I don't have a choice as if I don't have the upgrade carried out now in Perth then they won't agree to the upgrade being carried out in France, like the choice other customers have (I was advised this by Devialet support and have it in writing that my only choice is to do the update now, or no choice in the future).

I actually think this is extremely arrogant of Devialet, where the only option I have for my 2 x 250Pro's upgrade is a 2 day window 3rd/4th April. Some may say I'm being 'semantic', but I think this is terrible Devialet forcing my hand to do the upgrade and utilise software that either has multiple bugs, or I have to enter the Beta programme with it's onerous conditions. Maybe myself explaining this might give some an idea of my frustrations with Devialet, and why I'm being so 'semantic' with the current software.

Others may not agree with my thoughts, and that's ok for them, we all have our own opinions, but for Devialet to give me no choice with the CI upgrades really doesn't sit well with myself.

Cheers
John

PS by the way I don't think the RC numbers are a typo, and it is in fact a reveres of the candidate version. Maybe they found a problem with RC4 and have rolled back this new software release to RC3 (the firmware is new, and so is the DOS, but the RC is rolled back - could be 3 different strands to the full software release). Could this have something to do with  Apple & Spotify not 'validating' the software - who knows
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
With the amount of progress made in RC3 I would say its highly likely that we will have a commercial firmware release by 3rd or 4th April. Why release through the Beta channel? That could be because they have been busy fixing bugs on Airplay and might want to collect more bug reports. I agree that Devialet could be trying to speed up the process, hence come out with a release candidate through the Beta channel. Also Airplay had issues with soundstage, where the vocals were not centred felt like a channel imbalance issue, this has now been rectified in RC3. I personally feel that Devialet has taken a substantial step with RC3 in terms of fixing some major issues and I am really confident that they are on the right track. Even with the last Beta Release I was pessimistic and felt that Devialet had a long way to go, but I have to say I never expected such progress over a month. So the stories of Devialet building a substantial software development team must be true.
SOtM sMS-200-Ultra, SOtM sPS-500, Melco N1A, Rega RP8 (Exact 2), Core Infinity D440 Pro (2 x D220 Pro), Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, USB, Audioquest Castle Rock,  Sonus Faber Olympica I.
JimS

Good to hear that you're happy with the new RC3 release, and it's full of multiple improvements

Don't want to bog down the thread with my woos, but my biggest issue is with Devialet forcing my hand and my only chance of having the CI upgrade is during the 3rd/4th April, after that no option to send back to France (yes, I could fight this if I didn't choose the upgrade now, but the fact I have to be put into this situation is &%@).

Where I would agree with CK and my semantics is with Devialet and they're interpretation of RC & Beta. The 1st CI OS issued by Devialet on the 1st December was Release Candidate 4 and no mention of Beta, hence no conditions, formal release to all. The next 3 OS releases were all Beta, and corresponding onerous conditions attached. Last week Olivier put a comment on the Devialet CI Log that a new software was due in a few days (great). Next someone asked a question of the new software "will it be another beta version or a full release version?". Later that day Olivier replied "it will be a release candidate, being thoroughly tested internally at the moment."

Right, with my semantic head on - the only Realise Candidate Devialet has issued to-date RC4; formal, no conditions attached. Subsequent 3 releases all Beta; with onerous conditions. Fantastic (I think), a new release candidate about to be issued and I won't have to join the Beta program. Nope silly me, Devialet being Devialet turns things around and a release candidate is now part of the Beta Program - what, are you kidding. So now I have to either join the Beta Program (don't want to) or make do with the only formal issued OS for CI's - Release Candidate 4 (and it's multiple bugs).

Now Devialet you really are taking the P...  Huh

Ok, official moan now over, won't get into this again, and really hope everyone is hearing great improvements with the new RC3 Beta release, and that the features it comes with are primarily bug free.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and gets a chance to sit down and relax to some fantastic music  Wink

Australia (Perth)
I think the beta program has been fantastic so far... At least I have been super happy with it Smile
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
@Celts88 I can understand your hesitation in joining the Beta program. But one can't deny the usefulness of Beta testing, through the collective effort of beta testers the software has improved and we are now beginning to enjoy the results via RC3. Personally being a part of this process has instilled in me more pride as a Devialet owner. I know that the company is listening to its users and making haste in fixing the remains bugs. I have been in contact with Devialet multiple time and each time have found them to be very responsive. All queries have be answered by someone at the company. I have no doubt that the company goes through each bug report that is raised, a challenging task in itself. I think we can give credit where credit is due, just my 2 cents.
SOtM sMS-200-Ultra, SOtM sPS-500, Melco N1A, Rega RP8 (Exact 2), Core Infinity D440 Pro (2 x D220 Pro), Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, USB, Audioquest Castle Rock,  Sonus Faber Olympica I.
(24-Mar-2018, 12:14)petrik Wrote: I think the beta program has been fantastic so far... At least I have been super happy with it Smile

Me too, really liking the new RC3 release. I joined the beta program at release 12 and have not problems downloading, accessing and installing softwares thus far.
Audionet DNA / roon / ProAc SM100s