Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 12.2.12
I was using 12.2.6 until earlier this week when I loaded up the latest Beta 14. After using the new version for a few days, I have found it has eliminated problems I had been encountering while using Foobar2K from my PC via AIR over Ethernet....

All FLAC resolutions play with no problems, I can skip forward and back with no issues, and I no longer have to unplug the mains cord just to get AIR to work. I haven't tried AIR over WiFi yet, but I'm hoping maybe that has been fixed too, it was unusable for me before this Beta version.
Expert 140 Pro CI  Zu Omen Mk II DW's
Is there a way to disable the UPNP input once you've installed the latest beta? It would be nice not to have to cycle through one more input that I don't use when changing between sources.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
Not yet I believe. The configurator needs to support this first.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(25-May-2018, 16:54)flohmann Wrote: Is there a way to disable the UPNP input once you've installed the latest beta? It would be nice not to have to cycle through one more input that I don't use when changing between sources.

I'm running only 2 inputs, Phono and USB on Beta 14

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(25-May-2018, 21:28)BrianT Wrote:
(25-May-2018, 16:54)flohmann Wrote: Is there a way to disable the UPNP input once you've installed the latest beta? It would be nice not to have to cycle through one more input that I don't use when changing between sources.

I'm running only 2 inputs, Phono and USB on Beta 14

Brian

I'll make a guess as to why you don't see those inputs but flohmann does.

UPNP is a streaming connection and streaming occurs over the ethernet and wifi inputs. If you have one or both of those inputs enabled then you currently see the full range of streaming inputs. I know I see UPnP, AirPlay, Spotify,Air, and My Music available as sources on the Devialet Remote app on my iPad because I use Roon as my source over the ethernet connection. The Phono and USB inputs aren't streaming inputs so they don't appear as options if you only have the Phono and USB inputs enabled.

I could test that out by disabling the ethernet input on my Devialet but since that is the only input I use I'm afraid it's not an attractive option for me.

If you're so inclined you could try enabling your ethernet input, even though you're not using it, and see whether those additional input options start popping up in your input list with the Remote app.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I switched to Beta 14 today and posted some observations in my streaming thread. Although these comments were relevant in the other thread, I thought I would post here also.

This morning I loaded up firmware 12.2.12 Beta 14. With a quick listen, I can't say that I noticed any significant differences to Beta 12. Let's put it this way, if I had not known the firmware had changed, I certainly would not have picked this up from sound quality changes. One thing I did notice, is that with Beta 14 I seem to need a lot more volume gain. I have not been paying much attention to volume levels recently but did today when doing a AIR versus SOtM / Mutec trial. Volume levels (gain) seemed much higher than I have needed to use in the past. I might even try reverting back to Beta 12 to compare properly, but I am out of time today. Has anyone else noticed this? I recall that there have been some posts about higher temperatures in the amp with Beta 14. Maybe this is directly related to the gain issue. Has anyone else noticed similar?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(03-Jun-2018, 13:26)Confused Wrote: I switched to Beta 14 today and posted some observations in my streaming thread.  Although these comments were relevant in the other thread, I thought I would post here also.

This morning I loaded up firmware 12.2.12 Beta 14.  With a quick listen, I can't say that I noticed any significant differences to Beta 12.  Let's put it this way, if I had not known the firmware had changed, I certainly would not have picked this up from sound quality changes.  One thing I did notice, is that with Beta 14 I seem to need a lot more volume gain.  I have not been paying much attention to volume levels recently but did today when doing a AIR versus SOtM / Mutec trial.  Volume levels (gain) seemed much higher than I have needed to use in the past.  I might even try reverting back to Beta 12 to compare properly, but I am out of time today.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I recall that there have been some posts about higher temperatures in the amp with Beta 14.  Maybe this is directly related to the gain issue.  Has anyone else noticed similar?

That has been my observation as well - I would estimate 4-5 degrees higher temp - particularly noted for the analog section- can’t say I’m turning up the volume noticeably more but i might just not be noticing. . . 

Having used the Sotm/mutec/ref 10 combine for a couple months, I have to say the new roon/air is basically equivalent- the imaging of acoustic instruments seems tighter more coherent with the sotm combo still, but that may just be expectation bias on my part!

Cheers
Roon/mac mini > hqplayer > sms-200 ultra and MC-3+ USB both clocked via Mutec Ref 10 > MIT Oracle MA-X AES/EBU > D440 > Dynaudio C1 MkII via MIT Matrix HD-60
I don't check the temperature of my 130 all that often so no comment on that.

I do find myself using a higher volume setting but there's no consistency about how much higher and sometimes I find myself using a lower volume setting but to list confounding factors other than the change from Beta 12 to Beta 14 in my system:

- I stopped using SAM just before Beta 14 came out and was still getting used to that change when I installed Beta 14. I haven't gone back to using SAM with Beta 14 apart from a couple of A/B comparisons to see if Beta 14 changed my decision to stop using SAM and it hasn't.

- New version of Roon

- I finally got a hard wired ethernet connection from my router to the room in which the audio system is located and was able to stop using a wifi satellite as an ethernet switch and replace it with a Netgear ethernet switch with no wifi functionality. That seemed to drop the noise floor in my system so I suspect that the wifi satellite was a noisier device than the switch which replaced it and I find myself listening at slightly lower levels after that change than before, but still at higher levels most of the time than before Beta 14.

Overall my system is definitely sounding better to me now than it was before I installed Beta 14, and better than it sounded to me before I stopped using SAM. How much of that improvement is due to Beta 14 and how much is due to the other factors I listed above is anyone's guess. Those other factors have definitely made their own contributions but Beta 14 has delivered part of the improvement in my view. I do think part of the change in my listening levels is due to stopping using SAM.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
What are you liking about not using SAM with your Sopra?
It's hard to describe, and it isn't a big difference.

Basically I think it comes down to the variety and range of tonal colour in the bass, especially in things like the tone and texture of drums and acoustic bass. With SAM on I get a bit more extension and the bass is a little tighter but I lose a bit of tonal colour. With SAM off I lose a bit of extension and tightness but get a bit more tonal colour. I prefer the bit of extra tonal colour to the bit of extra extension and tightness. It's definitely a personal preference thing. I wouldn't say that what I hear with SAM is wrong, I'm just preferring what I hear without it.

Definitely a YMMV thing.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia