Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First experience 140pro upgrade
Just reveived my 120 to 140pro upgrade.
Very angry about SW-quality: Ethernet/WiFi is not working. Amp cannot connect to my ethernet, router has supplied an IP. The ethernet status on the amp is toggling between "IP-adress xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and "no IP avaiable". Changing configuration does not help.

Direct inputs like DIG IN is working.

Sound has much improved:
Bass sounds more precise,powerful (e.g. track:Chanting album:chants by Wolfgang Puschnig).
Improved soundstage (wide and deep) and some details (e.g. track: Dentro Al Cinema album:Altre Latitudini by Gianmaria Test).
With low VOL (-35dB) very detailed and "everything" is there. So no need for loud listening.
All in all: sound is smoother and "more quiet".

I'm very happy with the new sound.
If you're happy how it sounds, great. From what you say you have network issues, maybe not related to the 140?
(20-Dec-2018, 16:41)kompressor Wrote: If you're happy how it sounds, great. From what you say you have network issues, maybe not related to the 140?

No other issues in my network...My router „see‘s“ the devialet so it‘s the devialet.
[quote pid='80584' dateline='1545386531']
(21-Dec-2018, 08:33)Frasup Wrote: No other issues in my network...My router „see‘s“ the devialet so it‘s the devialet.

I had this the other day too, unplugged and re-plugged in the ethernet cable and it was fixed. Perhaps a new/different cable would help.
[/quote]

„Old 120“ worked very well with my configuration and cable, why should I change this ? Devialet needs to improve SW. Networking is very common in electronics  (IoT) right now.

BTW: Devialet Support is quiet on this issue, just a mail from the BOT...
I've been having the same issue since the Pro CI upgrade. Devialet support has been "working" on it for many months but it is a struggle to get contact out of them and they've not figured out the problem. It isn't my cable, my network, or anything exterior the Devialet. The issue is intermittent, so sometimes works for a bit, but we can't get ethernet to work for long. It is distressing how unresponsive and incompetent Devialet support is, but I'm more concerned with their technical competence. They broke ethernet, can't figure out why, nor what to do about it.
They also broke WiFi. It used to work with a offline password (using a text file on the SD-card instead of the online configurator) but that option is broken. It also used to work on a hidden network (SSID broadcast disabled), but no longer.
The Pro CI networking seems half baked and a big step backwards. Maybe they're concentrating on the promised Devialet OS upgrade to fix this, but unless they hire competent software developers improvements seem unlikely. I just hope that their software team wasn't downgraded as much as their customer-support team has been. If others are having these problems speak up and maybe we can get Devialet's attention.
I have to reboot my Expert Pro before each listening session, otherwise the Pro is greyed out in the Devialet Air app. My wife and I are very, very frustrated since we've had this issue with every beta version, it's been reported several times and it's never been fixed. Ethernet is as helpless as Wi-Fi. And when the entry is no longer greyed out and we can finally select the Pro, the connection breaks soon after. 

But's it's old news to members of this forum. Great hardware, terrible software and a lack of recognition that they should do be doing something about it.

At least this should be something that Mr. Niels understand, because the Freebox is more software than hardware. If only he could divert some of his own resources to Devialet, and maybe he has, this would be a much welcome improvement for all of us.
I never had any problems, not with the old 800 and not with the 1000 pro. So it cannot be generally broken, right ? Have you tried a different router ?
I had no problems with the 400 networking. I'm not saying that all 440 are broken. I am saying that with no other changes the move from 400 to 440 broke my networking, which is the sole fault of the Devialet. I always find it weird when technical support suggestions externalize the problem. "Our product must be fine, so let's blame something else." Have a I tried a new router, how about a new amp? The great thing about standards is that one can create a product that works with other products. Compatibility is a critical feature. The 440 would be indefensible if they had advertised, "new proprietary networking standards ensure optimal function by breaking with established standards and thus providing an opportunity to explore the full range of networking hardware available as we know that you audiophile tweakers like excuses to buy new hardware", but that would assume intention and I'm pretty sure the defect is unintentional because they don't seem to understand it.
Found a stable workaround for my Network problem: When I do a „reset to Factory default“. Ethernet and WIFI is working until next PowerOn (During Standby function remains) ==> this behavior should give Devialet a clear indication where to fix this bug.
With this workaround Air and AirPlay is working fine . And Roon is back again.
Reformatting the SD card, or cards, before applying Firmware updates or new configuration files has nearly always solved any problems l had, especially concerning Network issues. It wasn’t enough to just trash the old files, empty the bin and drop in the new config. files!
This is with using an iMac. Until l learnt to do this, after reading about other people’s experiences here on Dev Chat, l too was as well totally overwhelmed & at a loss.
Pro 440, B&W 804D, HMS In Concerto Speaker cables, Audioquest Jitterbug & Cinnamon USB, 2018 Mac Mini with 8Gb RAM, Furutech G320 Power cable, Audirvana Studio, 4 x 2TB SSD External Drives