Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Fidelity Filter Designer
I have had my eye on this software for a while, see links below including a very fine article from "Mitcho" on Audiophile Style.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/c...gner-r990/

https://www.focusfidelity.com/

OK, Michco's article is about calibrating desk top speakers, which is an interesting idea in itself, but everything written there is pretty much applicable to room correction of full system.

I had a few plans for last weekend that were all basically abandoned due to very wet weather in the UK.  So finding myself with a little unexpected free time, I decided I would re-measure my room using REW, and with that done buy myself a copy of the Focus Fidelity Filter Designer software.  

I suspect that anyone who follows the topic of room correction on Audiophile Style will acknowledge that Mitchco is an expert in this field, by contrast, I am not. 

So when I read Mitcho's article regarding Focus Fidelity Filter Designer and he states that the software is "easy to use", I did kind of think in my head "yes, for you maybe, but I bet I'll get stuck somewhere".  The point being, that I can of many time in my life when I have tried some new software package and have found myself wasting hours on end wondering why it does not work as it should.  Maybe a bug somewhere, some odd setting that I have not got right, unexplained weird results, this kind of thing.  I have a fear of new software, which I see as route to frustration and hours of free time wasted.

So having sorted out some new REW measurements, I took the plunge and purchased the Filter Designer software.

Completely new to the software, I ran trough the instructions in the manual, step by step.  Where default settings were available, I simply kept with the defaults, I just wanted to see if I could get this thing working.  Anyway, within about one hour of starting the download for the software package itself, I had created a zip file for my convolutions, loaded them into Roon and had music playing.  I was actually expecting to hit a few issues and problems, but no, the software did it's stuff and everything seemed to work as it should. 

With a quick listen, I was not that happy with the result, I had just used the automatically generated target curve, and the tonal balance did not sound right at all to my ears.  To be honest, I was just pleased I had got everything working.  So, a second attempt, this time making some minor adjustments in the target frequency curve editor.  The results were better, this was moving in the right direction, but it still did not sound as I had hoped.  Then a third attempt, a bit more fine tuning of the target curve, this was much better.

After that, I just sat down and listened to selection of music.  Everything sounded good, from acoustic stuff, to rock, to electronica.  The main difference is a simple step forward in clarity, the effect is remarkable.  Sound that is a little muddled and irritating is replaced by music.  Maybe when people talk about "digititis" what they are actually suffering is "roomititis", but this is the effect, music sounds less reproduced by digits and more real.  Improvements in sound staging were obvious, the speakers become a less obvious source of the sound, moving towards invisibility, and a definite step up in clarity.  In the past, I have pretty much found the Devialet's bass control to be useless in practical terms.  OK, it works, but if you happen to listen to an album that is inherently bass light, think of the classic "80's CD sound", then adding bass gain often just makes things sound worse, it just adds mud to the sound and sounds wrong.  Running the Focus Fidelity convolutions, suddenly the bass control does what it should, you add bass gain, you get more bass, clear bass.  I think this is clearly indicative of how Focus Fidelity is "cleaning" the sound of the system in the room

I was worried that would would struggle to get anywhere with this software, but it basically took my one Sunday morning from scratch to get a result that I was pleased with, and I am a room correction novice.  

I am sure that I still have a lot to learn, and I am also sure that I can improve on this early result.  The good thing is that the software is quick and easy to use, so I am happy that once I have had some time to listen more to the convolutions that I have, I will be able to investigate some of the settings in more detail, it should be easy to "fine tune", create new convolutions, and experience the results for myself.  This is where I think this software will be invaluable to myself.  Room correction is very complex topic, but there is nothing to beat being able to fine tune some parameter or another, and within a few minutes being able to listen to the results for yourself.

To be clear, the hardest part of this entire process was getting the actual measurements made in REW.  So I would say that for anyone who is at a level where they can perform the required REW measurements, using Focus Fidelity Filter Designer should be relatively simple, it is far more intuitive than REW.

It is very early days for myself, I have a lot to learn, a lot to investigate and try, but this is a great tool to start the convolution journey.  The fact that someone like myself can get good results in one rainy Sunday morning perhaps tells you all you need to know. 

At UK prices, the cost of the software worked out at £185.  Based on my experience of the software so far, this is £185 well spent and an absolute bargain in audiophile terms.

As an aside, I still have room treatment on my "to do" list. I am sure that actually fixing the room is a better approach that just using software. But here is another good thing about the Focus Fidelity software. If I do make changes to the room, it is just a couple of hours work to remeasure the room in REW and make some new convolutions. When I do finally get around to installing some room treatments, this software can go with me on the journey.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
In a few months there will be a measurement module in Focus Fidelity (according to Mitchco) that will make the process even simpler. REW is very good, no doubt about that, but may be a bit daunting to use. HAF has also made its own measurement module (but can still use measurements made with REW). Audiolense and Acourate (+ Dirac, DEQX, Trinnov... ) has always had built-in measurement.
I am a strong supporter of DRC. I am happy to see new high quality products in this field. Very nice write-up @Confused
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(17-May-2021, 14:24)ogs Wrote: In a few months there will be a measurement module in Focus Fidelity (according to Mitchco) that will make the process even simpler. REW is very good, no doubt about that, but may be a bit daunting to use. HAF has also made its own measurement module (but can still use measurements made with REW). Audiolense and Acourate (+ Dirac, DEQX, Trinnov... ) has always had built-in measurement.
I am a strong supporter of DRC. I am happy to see new high quality products in this field. Very nice write-up @Confused

Making the measurements in REW is definitely the most difficult part of the process.

And yes, Focus Fidelity are planning to release their own measurement module.  Back in March they advised this would be "several months away", which I guess is probably less time than a Devialet "soon".   It might be worth the wait, if this proves to be as intuitive to use as the Filter Designer it should be a winner.  It would be great to have this all in one package.

Meanwhile they have provided quite a good guide for making suitable measurements via REW:

https://www.focusfidelity.com/REWInstructions.pdf
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
You two are right- REW measurement is non-trivial.
I will follow the link you kindly provide, @Confused
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
it seems there is no test version available which is a no-go for me...
(18-May-2021, 11:31)Vivialet Wrote: it seems there is no test version available which is a no-go for me...

Which is a fair point I think.

Prior to purchasing the software I was worried about functionality, and indeed if the results were would be any good.  I had some confidence regarding the results, but this was only based on the Mitcho article linked in the OP.

In my case, prior to buying the software, I sent a copy of my REW measurements to Focus Fidelity, asking if they were ok and actually worked in the software. I exchanged a couple of emails with Focus Fidelity (they were very responsive considering the +11 hours time difference), they confirmed all was good and that my measurements loaded an ran in the software.

This was enough for me to take a punt and buy, but obviously it did not give me the chance to try the software for myself.

This perhaps begs a question.  What would you want from a demo version?  I am thinking they could provide the software with everything except the functionality to actually produce the convolutions.  This would let you try the software, but not hear the results.

If they included the functionality to produce the convolutions, you could make them, fine tune them, run them in your system for many years without actually buying the product.  Which would be great for a demo, but not very good business for Focus Fidelity.

I am thinking aloud a little here, but would you be happy with a demo version to try, if it did not actually let you generate and listen to the resulting convolutions?  

Not ideal, but better than nothing I guess?
Hi Confused,
This is a problem of course, but Dirac or Mathaudio also have testversions.
If the tool can only produce an input for a convolver then there is no way.
But this is not a good way to protect your software. Someone with a notebook can visit all his hifi friends and create convolution files for them. A VST plugin would be better.
I have already spent some money for room correction software, but nothing has really satisfied me long term.
Without any test I will not spend more money…
Correcting the whole frequency response is not a good idea anyway, currently I have only some sweet room filters below 200 Hz which is the best I have tried so far.
I think correcting full range is the way to go actually. It is the only way to fix time domain faults in a passive speaker. Sweet room is excellent and will, when used correctly, take care of room/speaker interactions in the low range, but not the timing errors further up.
The best active designs like D&D and Kii optimise time domain in DSP, but still need tuning for best possible interaction below the Schroeder boundary of a room. The problem is of course to find a correction software that only fixes what is wrong and does not change what you like with your sound.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
good passive speaker designs should also not have phase problems. All full range correctiony I have heard are doing some good things but also some bad things.
It sounds mostly very clean but also somehow dead. I have just tested the latest Dirac version for Windows. I like some of it but it is overcompensating the bass region.
Even if I try to follow the speaker response with the target curve it is sounding fat and unprecise. They should add a limit for the gain.
Maybe Focus Fidelity is doing everything right, but there is no direct way of using convolution with Audirvana. I also have a Roon license but Audirvana simply sounds better...
Most passive speaker designs will not be time-coincident unfortunately. Just look at JA's step response measurements in Stereophile. When tweeter, midrange (and bass) are mounted on a flat baffle there is no chance to obtain time-coincidence (unless one uses DSP of course)
I know what you mean with 'dead'. The calculations made in RC software seems to remove some transient information.
Devialetless!