Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Fidelity Filter Designer
@Focus Fidelity - It is great to see you contributing to this forum. Welcome.

Regarding Devialet SAM, I note that you have checked what Devialet say about SAM on their website, but unfortunately their website leaves out some key information.

The website does a reasonable job of describing the principles of SAM, but misses out the practical implications of the SAM % feature. I shall try to fill in the gaps:

Once you have a Devialet amp with the SAM profile loaded for your specific speakers, via the remote control it is possible to select SAM on / off, and with SAM on, you can adjust the "SAM %" anywhere from 0% to 100%.

What the Devialet website fails to explain is exactly how SAM on / off and SAM % work.

When SAM is on, irrespective of the SAM % setting, you get the full phase and timing correction, so in theory, the movement of the bass drivers should exactly match what is required per the input signal (music). So SAM % has zero effect on phase and timing correction, this aspect is either on or it is off.

The SAM % is designed to compensate for bass roll-off. So it provides a degree of bass boost at the frequencies where the speakers naturally exhibit bass roll-off, with SAM % providing additional boost at the lowest frequencies as the SAM % is increased.

One additional and beneficial feature of SAM is that it knows the maximum permitted movement of the bass drivers, and will prevent this ever being exceeded. So using SAM with Focus Fidelity does at least provide protection against potentially over loading the bass drivers.

In my case I made the room measurements with SAM on, but set to 0%. So in theory I should listen with SAM on and set to 0%, and leave Focus Fidelity to provide accurate bass. That is the theory, in practice I am finding that some music benefits from a little additional SAM %, but this is track / album specific. This is working out well for me at the moment.

I can see that it is at least possible that better results might be obtained by measuring the room without SAM, and leaving Focus Fidelity to deal with everything. It is also possible this could sound worse of course, and I suspect that the end result might be different between individual users / speakers and SAM profiles.

As an aside, I am not a huge fan of Devialet's Sweet Room. It works fine in terms of offering PEQ on all sources, so this is good, but in terms of usability it is very poor in my view. (and it is a little buggy) Maybe you could provide Devialet with a bit of advice or a consultancy? Focus Fidelity software is far more sophisticated than Sweet Room and yet it is far easier to use, so Devialet have something to learn from your efforts I think.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
@Confused Thanks for the info, makes sense, seems like you have the right approach with SAM.
(07-Jul-2021, 22:22)Focus Fidelity Wrote:
(03-Jul-2021, 14:11)Vivialet Wrote: Hi Confused,
I could not resist after your first post here and bought a license as well.
The results were really good but I had some issues: I could not enter numbers with any decimal places in the target designer and I also had an issue that in some bass region is had removed some bass where I did not want it to be removed. I told the support but never got any response...
But with the new 1.5 version this bass problem seems to be solved.
With the old version 1.2x I liked my Sweet Room configuration more, with the new version this could have been changed.
I will do some more listening this evening and report back. But what I can say already is that this is the best RC I tried so far.

@Vivialet Finally found you, I did get your support request but the e-mail you supplied on the web contact form didn't work, undeliverable error back. I also tried contacting you via the e-mail you used to register and purchase with paypal. Anyway happy to take a look at your project file and measurements if you e-mail them through.

Hi, sorry for that. I finally found your repsonse in the spam folder of my second email account that I'm not checking too frequently...
I will send you my current measurement soon.
In the meantime I found a very good target curve that sounds better than my Sweet Room correction, at least in 90% of all cases.
I have moved the target curve up so that it only cuts the main peaks and reduced the max. gain to 4db. Less would probably even better but is currently not possible.
Between 30Hz and 12Khz my target curve goes down by 8db.
One thing that I'm missing in the editor: I cannot modify the target slope. If it starts with 0.367 and I enter 0.38 nothing happens. Maybe a localization issue ?
And finally I found out that I can move the complete target curve up and down...
(20-Jul-2021, 09:55)Vivialet Wrote: In the meantime I found a very good target curve that sounds better than my Sweet Room correction, at least in 90% of all cases.
I have moved the target curve up so that it only cuts the main peaks and reduced the max. gain to 4db. Less would probably even better but is currently not possible.
One thing that I'm missing in the editor: I cannot modify the target slope. If it starts with 0.367 and I enter 0.38 nothing happens. Maybe a localization issue ?
And finally I found out that I can move the complete target curve up and down...

Hi, when you type 0.38 in the target slope box and hit enter the text in the box should turn green when you hit the enter key. Is that happening?
Yes, the whole target curve can be shifted vertically.
If you e-mail your project file to the support address I can take a look.
(20-Jul-2021, 10:05)Focus Fidelity Wrote:
(20-Jul-2021, 09:55)Vivialet Wrote: In the meantime I found a very good target curve that sounds better than my Sweet Room correction, at least in 90% of all cases.

Hi, when you type 0.38 in the target slope box and hit enter the text in the box should turn green when you hit the enter key. Is that happening?
Yes, the whole target curve can be shifted vertically.
If you e-mail your project file to the support address I can take a look.

I can enter integer values, e.g. 1 or 2. If I press enter it is using this value. But as soon as I try to enter a decimal value like 0.38 nothing happens.
As mentioned already it might be a localisation problem. But 0,38 is also not working.
The other 3 fields have the same problem for me, they accept integer values but no decimal places.
btw., I have created a new project with version 1.5. It is not a real issue as I can still use the anchor points to draw the desired target curve.
@Vivialet  - I have just double checked the above, and on my system it works exactly as described by @Focus Fidelity above, that is I can type in any value (such as 0.38, see below) and it displays as black font, until I hit return when the text turns green and the target line moves as you would expect. 

This makes me wonder what might be different in my case case versus yours?  In my case I am using a Windows 10 PC, x64, 16GB RAM.  This is fairly standard stuff these days, but I note that the system requirements state 8GB RAM minimum 16GB recommended.  This is all a bit tenuous I know, but I am just interested in why it might work for me but not for you?  It is a little puzzling.

1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hi Confused,
My PC specs are exactly the same as yours. I think the difference might be that I‘m using a german localization. Tomorrow I will try with an english localization.
Good to know that it is generally working.
@Vivialet @Confused I have e-mailed you both a link to the beta version of the next release. It includes some changes discussed in this thread.
that is what I call a fast response! I have sent some feedback via mail.
Will do some testing of the new 0db feature this evening.

You should take over the Devialet software development :>)