Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Fidelity Filter Designer
even if you apply filters that only reduce the volume at resonance points you are also changing the phase. As FF is also correcting the phase this will always have a positive gain.
If I only set a single filter in sweet room (e.g. 45Hz, -5db) this will cause clipping. You can see this if you use the Roon clipping monitor.
But this is normally less than 2db. FF always reduces the overall volume by at least about 6db.
Using SAM and sweet room together with FF does not make sense for me as since SAM V2 the Giya 2 profile is unusable. Also too many DSP's will damage the signal too much.
(06-Jul-2021, 15:07)Vivialet Wrote: Also too many DSP's will damage the signal too much.

Well, the Roon convolver is DSP and turning off Sweet Room doesn't disable DSP in the Expert amplifier (nor does disabling SAM).  Pity Devialet has not fixed the SAM profile for the G2 yet!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Actually, I think @Vivialet makes a good point. Thinking about it, I am not sure if it might be best to take the measurements with SAM enabled and then run FF + SAM, or maybe better to take the measurements with SAM off, and let FF cover everything. (this is in my own specific case, where SAM seems to work as it should with my speakers)

As I mentioned earlier, I am happy with the results with the way I have done it so far (FF + SAM), but I will put trying FF alone onto my ever growing "to do" list. This does of course mean redoing the measurements, which is a little tedious, but worthwhile to try this I think.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
SAM does only correct the phase below 200Hz. It will also not include the room. On the other hand FF will not increase the bass output as SAM can do.
I guess it is worth to try both.
I have been in direct contact with David from Focus Fidelity (also invited him to participate here) about using SAM / Sweet Room when using FF.
He suggests SAM on and Sweet Room off when doing the measurement.
(03-Jul-2021, 14:11)Vivialet Wrote: Hi Confused,
I could not resist after your first post here and bought a license as well.
The results were really good but I had some issues: I could not enter numbers with any decimal places in the target designer and I also had an issue that in some bass region is had removed some bass where I did not want it to be removed. I told the support but never got any response...
But with the new 1.5 version this bass problem seems to be solved.
With the old version 1.2x I liked my Sweet Room configuration more, with the new version this could have been changed.
I will do some more listening this evening and report back. But what I can say already is that this is the best RC I tried so far.

@Vivialet Finally found you, I did get your support request but the e-mail you supplied on the web contact form didn't work, undeliverable error back. I also tried contacting you via the e-mail you used to register and purchase with paypal. Anyway happy to take a look at your project file and measurements if you e-mail them through.
Hi All,

@markush has e-mail me about Devialet SAM and Sweet Room. I should say I'm not familiar with these beyond what's on Devialet's website. So my thoughts are,

I would suggest that the SAM settings not be changed from performing measurements to normal listening, keep the settings the same.
If you change the SAM settings you'll need to redo your measurements and regenerate the Focus Fidelity correction filters with the new measurements.
What's the optimal SAM setting? I'm not sure exactly I would suggests set it to whatever sounds best to you prior to applying any kind of room correction filters.

Sweet Room appears to be a fairly simple parametric EQ system, I suggest disable this completely if your going to be using Focus Fidelity software.
EDIT: Ahh I see that David has posted in the mean time. That clears my point about SAM...

Then David does not understand what SAM does. SAM is of course only possible with a Devialet amplifier (but I think Technics has a similar feature, LAPC). Only when a speaker has exceptional bass precision (some YG and Magico models comes to mind) you can get top results only with RC. Devialet has direct control over the bass driver with SAM. It is necessary with direct contact between amplifier and speaker for this to work but as @Vivialet says, SAM is not room correction.
Sweet Room is just a parametric equalizer and identical correction can be done in Roon or other players or indeed in Focus Fidelity. FF would do time correction in addition, but would not be able to match SAM.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(07-Jul-2021, 22:59)ogs Wrote: EDIT: Ahh I see that David has posted in the mean time. That clears my point about SAM...

Then David does not understand what SAM does. SAM is of course only possible with a Devialet amplifier (but I think Technics has a similar feature, LAPC). Only when a speaker has exceptional bass precision (some YG and Magico models comes to mind) you can get top results only with RC. Devialet has direct control over the bass driver with SAM. It is necessary with direct contact between amplifier and speaker for this to work but as @Vivialet says, SAM is not room correction.
Sweet Room is just a parametric equalizer and identical correction can be done in Roon or other players or indeed in Focus Fidelity. FF would do time correction in addition, but would not be able to match SAM.

I'm not recommending against using SAM with FF filters. Use SAM how you normally would just don't change the setup of it once you've started with room correction.
(07-Jul-2021, 23:23)Focus Fidelity Wrote: I'm not recommending against using SAM with FF filters. Use SAM how you normally would just don't change the setup of it once you've started with room correction.

Yes, I got that. I may have misread Markus' post.. sorry about that. What you say is of course very sensible.
Devialetless!