Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Fidelity Filter Designer
Focus Fidelity just announced via there newsletter an update of their software as well made this announcement:

Development of Focus Fidelity's measurement application has now begun. This application will significantly streamline and simplify the measurement process.

This will considerable help and make it appealing to a broader audience.
Great, keep up the good work @Focus Fidelity
some interesting information there. I was not aware that REW does not include the microphone calibration when you export the measurements...
This explains that convolution always sounds a bit dry: my Umik-1 is adding 2,5db gain around 10khz which is then incorrectly removed by FocusFidelity or other tools.
Oh wow!! This is a very important finding and can hopefully be addressed somehow to make this an easy workflow.
You can load the calibration file in FocusFidelity as well, so it is correctly handled.
I have to say I am really excited about the upcoming measurement tool - as for now what kept me away from using room REW (and that’s also the main reasons my friends tell me) that I don’t know anything at all how to do measurements and especially how to adjust so many of the settings once the measurement is done Smile)
@Focus Fidelity Can you give as an update about how things are on your side - always great to hear about any progress.
Unfortunately there is still no new firmware from Devialet or a fix for Sweet Room, so more users are experiencing the need for a solution / improvement to their situation.
(15-Aug-2021, 11:40)markush Wrote: I have to say I am really excited about the upcoming measurement tool - as for now what kept me away from using room REW (and that’s also the main reasons my friends tell me) that I don’t know anything at all how to do measurements and especially how to adjust so many of the settings once the measurement is done Smile)

Sounds like you and your friends would be very content with Dirac, but who knows - maybe @Focus Fidelity  will come up with a measurement tool that is really user friendly Smile
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Hi,
The measurement tool is in development now and is progressing well. I will likely send out a newsletter to invite folks to try a beta version when it is ready.
Kind regards,
David
That is amazing to hear - very much looking forward to it.
There was a recent post from HQPlayer developer Jussi Laako (Miska) on AS that interested me:

When doing any DSP in HQPlayer, like convolution, you will always need to use some dither/noise-shaper. Otherwise you will be adding a distortion generator.

When you upsample in HQPlayer when doing convolution or similar, you gain additional one bit worth of dynamic range headroom every time you double the output sample rate. This will give you some additional resolution when you do such DSP operations.

Currently I am using the Focus Fidelity convolutions in Roon. This suits me well at the moment, as within Roon it is possible to load a number of slightly different convolutions, and switch between them very easily, even remotely via iPad. As an example, I have two convolutions at the moment that I like very much. They are slightly different, one is based on the classic Harman house curve, the other is similar, but using more of a "best fit" curve per the tools in Focus Fidelity. I am still not sure which one I ultimately prefer (or even which one is technically most accurate), but with Roon it is very easy to switch between the two if desired when listening to a particular track or album.

Looking forward, I think that maybe I would get better results sonically by using the convolutions in HQPlayer. Mindful of the above quote, and that currently most of my listening is with 16/44.1 material, currenly 16/44.1 is used for the convolutions in Roon, before being sent to HQPlayer which upsamples to 24/192 etc. If I use the Focus Fidelity convolutions in HQPlayer together with the 24/192 upsampling, I should get some benefit per Jussi's explanation above.

Something to think about and maybe try in the future. I wonder how much difference this might make in practice?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12